• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

heart

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I am done with Cardio-rehab. I give it high grades. I have shifted to regular gym work. I plan to train with a trainer. I went to my first day today and it was all about baseline testing. I did quite well. He steered me away from free weights and I told him that I needed deadlifts and front squats. So we went to the bars, me telling him that I trained with Crossfit for years. He liked my form.

I am so sore right now that I can hardly move.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Saw the ablation guy today for 3 month check-up. Essentially, I'm released from custody unless I want to call them. He was forceful about continuing to use the CPAP. :( As for the Eliquis, he said I'm on the "cusp" due to some score of "2" because I'm female and over 65, neither of which I can do much about. He said he personally would stay on it (must be made of money ...). I said I was concerned about skiing, etc. End result he is allowing me to stop taking it if I replace it with baby aspirin (which I've actually read is no longer recommended, but hey.) I'll take it until I run out or ski season, whichever comes first.
An update on all of this.

I stopped using the Eliquis during ski season, but went back on it after the season ended in April. Then saw my regular cardio in June for follow-up and discussed the Eliquis again with him. He said he'd put me on the Holter monitor again for a full month and see how I was doing. Did that and had zero issues, so once I finish the very expensive pills I already had bought, I can graduate to a daily low dose aspirin. I'm still on the CPAP. I'm down almost 50 pounds (maybe Monday?), so I think that played into it as well.

A friend who was taking blood thinners just had a hemorrhagic stroke so I really don't like the idea of being on them. I realize the more common type is due to clots, so it's kind of a no win situation.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I stopped using the Eliquis during ski season, but went back on it after the season ended in April. Then saw my regular cardio in June for follow-up and discussed the Eliquis again with him. He said he'd put me on the Holter monitor again for a full month and see how I was doing. Zero issues, so once I finish the very expensive pills I already had bought, I can graduate to a daily low dose aspirin. I'm still on the CPAP. I'm down almost 50 pounds (maybe Monday?), so I think that played into it as well.

A friend who was taking blood thinners just had a hemorrhagic stroke so I really don't like the idea of being on them. I realize the more common type is due to clots, so it's kind of a no win situation.
You're going to find it way easier to ski longer/more vert 50 pounds lighter. I'd like to drop 25-30 but I don't want to have to buy new pants again..

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

I stopped using the Eliquis during ski season, but went back on it after the season ended in April. Then saw my regular cardio in June for follow-up and discussed the Eliquis again with him. He said he'd put me on the Holter monitor again for a full month and see how I was doing. Zero issues, so once I finish the very expensive pills I already had bought, I can graduate to a daily low dose aspirin. I'm still on the CPAP. I'm down almost 50 pounds (maybe Monday?), so I think that played into it as well.

Best of luck Sibby with your Holter for a month. May it tell your cardiologist you can be free of the Eliquis and go ski without worry.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was on xzaltro and my doctor switched me to the Watchman. No more blood thinner. Hope it works.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Near as I can tell it's not available yet as a generic here. https://www.goodrx.com/eliquis/eliquis-generics-approved-patent-expiration-ways-to-save

"Generics for Eliquis were recently approved, but they may not be available until 2026 due to a patent dispute."
The pharmacist originally suggested getting my doctor to prescribe Apixaban instead of Eliquis the next time I needed a refill. Then she looked at the price difference of $300+ and she changed the prescription from Eliquis to Apixaban right there on the spot.

My most recent 90 day prescription for Apixaban, Metoprolol, and Ramipril came to $112Cdn. @Sibhusky , you should look into finding a drug store across the border in Fernie to fill your prescriptions.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The pharmacist originally suggested getting my doctor to prescribe Apixaban instead of Eliquis the next time I needed a refill. Then she looked at the price difference of $300+ and she changed the prescription from Eliquis to Apixaban right there on the spot.

My most recent 90 day prescription for Apixaban, Metoprolol, and Ramipril came to $112Cdn. @Sibhusky , you should look into finding a drug store across the border in Fernie to fill your prescriptions.
The only expensive prescription I have now is Ajovy. It's so new I doubt it's cheaper in Canada. I doubt even know if my Medicare Part D would pay from there.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
A simple up date - I have about six days out. The first three were dismal but then things fell into place and we were rockin. I ski with a ski buddy I met about 15 years ago on Epic. He pushes me to get out more often and we both create better skiing together. It's very cool. Skiing is so in the moment.

Dave has an obsession with skiing. He brought Deb Armstrong's video tutorial for bumps. So Friday we worked on stance, poles, quick turns and boot stuff. Looking often at the video. We had a blast. We took turns taking the lead and coaching each other. He has new Gunbarrel(s). I was very happy with my skiing. Dave progressed too.

As far as my heart (remember my heart), it seems pretty good. I have more A-Fib lately and my wind is still a problem unless I am having fun.

Skiing is awesome.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I should end my part of this thread in the best possible way. I was diagnosed with heart issues mid November of 22 surgery in the end of February. All went as well as could be expected.
Now
Saturday was my 5th day skiing and doing just fine. Life is good and there are happy endings.

Thank you all for caring and sharing, it really helped.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I should end my part of this thread in the best possible way. I was diagnosed with heart issues mid November of 22 surgery in the end of February. All went as well as could be expected.
Now
Saturday was my 5th day skiing and doing just fine. Life is good and there are happy endings.

Thank you all for caring and sharing, it really helped.
Merry Christmas Bad Bob. That's a nice present you got there.

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
I started skiing in 1947. I skied every season for the next 73. Then two years ago my heart quit doing its job and I stopped skiing. Recently I have gotten a biventricular pacemaker and had a cardioversion to shock my heart back into rhythm. My physical therapist has me on an exercise program. I walk every day and I am planning on short day hikes this summer in the mountains of Central Oregon where I have a vacation home. My goal is to get in a couple of runs at Mt. Bachelor on my 90th birthday next February. No Edge is an inspiration.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a couple of afib episodes and I'm currently wearing (and skiing with!) a Holter Monitor. It's driving me crazy. I cannot keep it adequately attached and it keeps beeping at me. I find it hard to continue down the slope while it's beeping.

I called the company today and they said that they were getting readings that were adequate though not continuous. I really hope the results will help analyze what's going on.

Anyone else have similar issues while wearing a monitor?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I had a couple of afib episodes and I'm currently wearing (and skiing with!) a Holter Monitor. It's driving me crazy. I cannot keep it adequately attached and it keeps beeping at me. I find it hard to continue down the slope while it's beeping.

I called the company today and they said that they were getting readings that were adequate though not continuous. I really hope the results will help analyze what's going on.

Anyone else have similar issues while wearing a monitor?
I've worn one twice, total of six weeks. The first time I had those issues (especially due to a female chest) and I looked up alternate positions for the monitor, which helped a lot. The second time I told them which way worked best for me.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brief update. It has been an up and down winter. This is considering my health and my skiing. I had 5 -7 days of some very rewarding turns, but with poor recovery between days. I estimate number of days around 20+ so far. We finish out the season skiing Bromley for free since Jiminy faded quickly. This was a perk for being loyal to Jiminy Peak. I thought that was nice.

My ski buddy was helpful this winter except for the fact that he pushed me above my capacity. Yesterday I fell off a cliff at Bromley - a small cliff about 2' high (it was a cliff non-the-less).

Heart wise, my lungs were not helping much. I was stopping every 100 yards yesterday to catch my breath. It was a disruption to a good day of skiing. Four runs and that was it.

Then I went to my electrician - Pacemaker doctor and complained a lot. He and his technician made a large number of adjustments. I noticed the change immediately. I have had a bad case of ear ringing - it's gone. Balance is much better. Going up stairs is hard work still.

I hope I didn't hurt my electrician's feelings!

Hope you are all well.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid