• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

heart

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Are you still in pain? I've had another new diagnosis since I last dropped in on this thread: bursitis in my foot. I declined the cortisone shots and ordered $500 custom footbeds, or whatever they call them in podiatrist world. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Sounds like the pacemaker is doing its job. I suppose fatigue is inevitable at this point.

Sorry skiing didn't work out so well. Maybe you should stick to days with good conditions? Or was skiing okay but the nagging of loved ones the biggest problem!

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Update: Pacemaker is working I guess. It's set at 60bpm - to keep the heart beat at 60 minimum. I can't tell. The heart will respond to physical needs as required.

I am taking eliquis, a blood thinner. This is the reason the doctor banned skiing.

Fatigue levels are really high. I went skiing last Friday and my people were pissed. I wasn't supposed to go yet. Conditions were icy and crappy.
@no edge, I hope your heart situation gets better soon.

Is there any way to get a second opinion about whether and when you can ski from another cardiologist who understands skiers?? But you did prove them wrong by going skiing, didn't you? Be sure to take it easy, you skier you.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I take blood thinners and my doctor has not told me to quit skiing. He looked at me kind of funny when I told him about my skiing a lot, but he said nothing (this was allmost 20 years ago) and nobody in the Dr.'s office has said anything but "How's the skiing been?" to me since.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
@no edge, I hope your heart situation gets better soon.

Is there any way to get a second opinion about whether and when you can ski from another cardiologist who understands skiers?? But you did prove them wrong by going skiing, didn't you? Be sure to take it easy, you skier you.
I think the pacemaker will be good. Blood thinners, in my humble opionon - suck. (But I can't tell that I am even taking them.) I did seek a second opinion - - it was me! I gave myself the green light. I got in trouble with the family in choosing to go skiing.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you still in pain? I've had another new diagnosis since I last dropped in on this thread: bursitis in my foot. I declined the cortisone shots and ordered $500 custom footbeds, or whatever they call them in podiatrist world. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Sounds like the pacemaker is doing its job. I suppose fatigue is inevitable at this point.

Sorry skiing didn't work out so well. Maybe you should stick to days with good conditions? Or was skiing okay but the nagging of loved ones the biggest problem!

I am in pain but it is not overwhelming. Tylenol. I have heard bursitis is painful. I have used cortisone for my back and it seems to work. It's good for 4 plus years.

Skiing will probably require a reduction in speed and less showing off. I got a lot of $#!t for going. I didn't tell anyone. She was really pissed.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I got a lot of $#!t for going. I didn't tell anyone. She was really pissed.

I'll bet she was. And you would have been pissed if she pulled that on you! She wants you alive; who can blame her?

I've had 4 cortisone shots in my life, and only one (hip) was worth doing. The last one I got in my foot (for Morton's neuroma) lasted for 10 days and the pain came back with a vengeance. Totally not worth it. And I have other reasons for avoiding steroids. Getting older!

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I am in pain but it is not overwhelming. Tylenol. I have heard bursitis is painful. I have used cortisone for my back and it seems to work. It's good for 4 plus years.

Skiing will probably require a reduction in speed and less showing off. I got a lot of $#!t for going. I didn't tell anyone. She was really pissed.
It’s easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission :)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It sounds like you, @no edge, are in the doghouse and having mixed feelings. What are you going to do this season about the fact that you kept your skiing secret and got found out, which is a serious infraction of trust, and about the continuing conflict between skiing which you love and staying home because of your health issues?

Last edited:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
plan of action... go skiing. It's winter!
Ok.., but be clear on what the risk is.

A few assumptions: let’s assume ( hope) your cardiologist explained exactly why you’re on an anticoagulant. Usually the indications are pretty clear cut and for sure, blood thinners are not prescribed lightly or casually.
Now let’s assume you’re on an anticoagulant on a permanent basis. Because, if it’s a temporary thing , than the smart thing is to wait it out before skiing again.
Next assumption:
you’re on one of the DOAC anticoagulants. They are a newer type blood thinner and generally believed to be safer ( fewer unprovoked episodes of serious bleeding particularly inside the head). That they are somewhat safer ( fewer bleeds, easier to control / live with, etc) than old style blood thinners may look like a green light to ski. Hey, less risk. But, in case of trauma there’s no real difference between DOACs and old style blood thinners. Hit your head and there’s a real risk of a serious ( lethal or debilitating) bleed inside the skull / brain. Doesn’t matter if it happens in a crash while you’re hucking off something, you catch an edge and go down hard on a bunny hill, or get run into at 10 mph by an errant beginner. Helmet or no helmet.
Fact is, you MAY be able to find a doc who will tell you , yeah, go ahead if it’s that important to you ( skiing). But I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a reputable doc who will recommend alpine skiing while on anticoagulants. On the other hand: a second cardiology opinion re whether or not you MUST be on life long anticoagulation ( totally depends on the underlying disease/ circumstances) may be worth the effort .
Bottom line : it’s all about risk and downhill skiing is very very risky ( ie: risk of death or serious brain injury) when you’re on blood thinners. Cross country ( nordic) fine… alpine , big risk regardless of your skill, experience, or willingness to dial it back.
Your call.
And yes, I’m an interventional cardiologist so you can guess my bias. But as a lifelong fanatical skier I also “ get it” . I can’t imagine winter without being on thehill so I really hope it turns out your current predicament turns out to be temporary.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I was on Brillinta and aspirin for the whole 2016-2017 season. I guess my cardiologist knew where I was and what I was doing but we never talked about it and frankly it never occurred to me that I was taking a risk. This was 6 months after my "event" and I was dialed back a bit anyway.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok.., but be clear on what the risk is.

A few assumptions: let’s assume ( hope) your cardiologist explained exactly why you’re on an anticoagulant. Usually the indications are pretty clear cut and for sure, blood thinners are not prescribed lightly or casually.
Now let’s assume you’re on an anticoagulant on a permanent basis. Because, if it’s a temporary thing , than the smart thing is to wait it out before skiing again.
Next assumption:
you’re on one of the DOAC anticoagulants. They are a newer type blood thinner and generally believed to be safer ( fewer unprovoked episodes of serious bleeding particularly inside the head). That they are somewhat safer ( fewer bleeds, easier to control / live with, etc) than old style blood thinners may look like a green light to ski. Hey, less risk. But, in case of trauma there’s no real difference between DOACs and old style blood thinners. Hit your head and there’s a real risk of a serious ( lethal or debilitating) bleed inside the skull / brain. Doesn’t matter if it happens in a crash while you’re hucking off something, you catch an edge and go down hard on a bunny hill, or get run into at 10 mph by an errant beginner. Helmet or no helmet.
Fact is, you MAY be able to find a doc who will tell you , yeah, go ahead if it’s that important to you ( skiing). But I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a reputable doc who will recommend alpine skiing while on anticoagulants. On the other hand: a second cardiology opinion re whether or not you MUST be on life long anticoagulation ( totally depends on the underlying disease/ circumstances) may be worth the effort .
Bottom line : it’s all about risk and downhill skiing is very very risky ( ie: risk of death or serious brain injury) when you’re on blood thinners. Cross country ( nordic) fine… alpine , big risk regardless of your skill, experience, or willingness to dial it back.
Your call.
And yes, I’m an interventional cardiologist so you can guess my bias. But as a lifelong fanatical skier I also “ get it” . I can’t imagine winter without being on thehill so I really hope it turns out your current predicament turns out to be temporary.

Eliquis - .25 x 2 per day. There has been plenty of discussion about this. He said I was a big mountain skier and I told him I wasn't. I ski in Vermont. So the initial issue was the surgery and letting that heal and they also pulled back on my participation in skiing. I need to be smart about the advice they give but I intend to give some push back.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eliquis - .25 x 2 per day. There has been plenty of discussion about this. He said I was a big mountain skier and I told him I wasn't. I ski in Vermont. So the initial issue was the surgery and letting that heal and they also pulled back on my participation in skiing. I need to be smart about the advice they give but I intend to give some push back.
When we went skiing last winter while @Philpug was on blood thinners, @Andy Mink and I were always with him and had clotting first aid stuff with us at all times.

Fortunately for him, he was on it temporarily.

Lots of discussion in his thread about skiing with blood thinners.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I will add on to what Dr. @migdriver said above. Reversal agents for the DOACs can be extremely expensive so some small hospitals do not stock them. It is not one size fits all for reversal drugs. Be cautious if your nearest hospital is a small critical access hospital or even check with them to see if they have the reversal agent on hand for your particular DOAC.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
When we went skiing last winter while @Philpug was on blood thinners, @Andy Mink and I were always with him and had clotting first aid stuff with us at all times.

Fortunately for him, he was on it temporarily.

Lots of discussion in his thread about skiing with blood thinners.
Glad it worked out for him.
However , lest some folks reading this get the wrong impression: the worry for folks ( skiers) on anticoagulants- especially DOACS- is not with superficial bleeding or even open orthopedic wounds which can often be controlled with direct pressure etc untill can get more definitive help. Clotting packs applied manually have limited efficacy.
The real caution / worry / risk is particularly with head trauma. There, even with just a relatively moderate hit like sometimes occurs when you slam down with a sudden caught edge etc; there can be bleeding within the skull. That’s a closed space and the consequences of a bleed within the skull can be lethal or cause stroke. No amount of external clotting measures short of Giving the specific reversal drug for the specific DOAC will stop the bleed and even then it’s a neuro emergency that requires competent hospital care ASAP.
BTW, the reference to DOACS for blood thinning is because they have largely replaced older, traditional blood thinners for most common indications… the traditional anticoags are somewhat easier to reverse but have an even higher bleed risk in the first place .

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fatigue levels are really high. I went skiing last Friday and my people were pissed. I wasn't supposed to go yet. Conditions were icy and crappy.

Take it from someone who has been through something similar, albeit not as serious: please, please, PLEASE do not push it!

Your whole body needs to readjust, not just the heart. Absolutely no skiing at this point!

Pretty please!

Sponsor

Staff online