• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

heart

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yep.. to the ugly end. I smoked until 20 years ago... Grew up in a house full of smoke, partied from age 15 to 35.. Cigarettes daily from about 1987-2005. I should have already died several times over.
My grandfather died of it. Pack a day to the bitter end. He moved to Phoenix for the clean desert air. They didn't know in those days that it was a bowl and probably had the worst air in the US next to LA. My folks both smoked but never developed that problem. Thankfully. And thankfully I've never tried that. Good job on quitting, it's probably one of the hardest things to do.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Saw the ablation guy today for 3 month check-up. Essentially, I'm released from custody unless I want to call them. He was forceful about continuing to use the CPAP. :( As for the Eliquis, he said I'm on the "cusp" due to some score of "2" because I'm female and over 65, neither of which I can do much about. He said he personally would stay on it (must be made of money ...). I said I was concerned about skiing, etc. End result he is allowing me to stop taking it if I replace it with baby aspirin (which I've actually read is no longer recommended, but hey.) I'll take it until I run out or ski season, whichever comes first.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have had some thing similar a while, back five plus years. I did not expect this.
Just back from the Watchman procedure. I would say that it did not go well. After the operation in the recovery area which is mostly the staging area of Cardio and some Neuro, I had a TIA, I am the one that picked it up. It was my speech and it was serious. But it did not last long... 30 - 45 seconds. The entire room zeroed in on what was happening with me, but it ended almost as quickly as it began. During that time my speech was destroyed, but it did come back.

They kept me over night. I worked with Cardiolgists and Neuro Physicians. I had a very extensive MRI for 45 min. This was at Albany Med. Over night at the hospital was not a pleasure, but the staff was kind and took care of me.

Yep, I have had some scary things happen in the past with what could have possibly been a heart attack, stroke type things too 20+ years ago. Afraid to go to the doctor about it as I seemed to just recover quickly on my own and carried on back then.

@SpikeDog these images may or may not be SFW. Don't care about doxing myself here. Too old to worry about stuff like that.. Looks fine to me though. I'm going with the hope that being 20 years out totally past the stuff that almost killed me I'm probably good for another 10-20 years as long as I behave.

1664454964330.png

1664455009758.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I still a bit surprised by how manly people our age, even really active and fit folks have heart issues in their fifties. I've lost almost as many friends in the fifties as I did to addiction and depression in the 20s. Folks who were really active too like wait who?? REALLY??? If you haven't gone in for a deeper dive don't think you don't need to just because you're in good physical shape..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I still a bit surprised by how manly people our age, even really active and fit folks have heart issues in their fifties. I've lost almost as many friends in the fifties as I did to addiction and depression in the 20s. Folks who were really active too like wait who?? REALLY??? If you haven't gone in for a deeper dive don't think you don't need to just because you're in good physical shape..

Hormones. The stuff that make us invincible in our teens and 20's. They go away with the age.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At my last two physicals I asked about a stress test. Each time I arrived kind of sweaty and in bike clothes. The doc who is very much an aerobic jock, knowing where I’d cycled from, said you just did that a stress test wouldn’t reveal anything the rides didn’t. Meanwhile my father’s side of the family had heart disease, although with significant lifestyle risk factors I don’t have. Maybe twenty years ago I was diagnosed with a slight heart murmur.

I exercise hard, very high VO2max, really good blood chemistry but reading this thread I’m wondering about forcing a deeper dive. Any opinions?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
At my last two physicals I asked about a stress test. Each time I arrived kind of sweaty and in bike clothes. The doc who is very much an aerobic jock, knowing where I’d cycled from, said you just did that a stress test wouldn’t reveal anything the rides didn’t. Meanwhile my father’s side of the family had heart disease, although with significant lifestyle risk factors I don’t have. Maybe twenty years ago I was diagnosed with a slight heart murmur.

I exercise hard, very high VO2max, really good blood chemistry but reading this thread I’m wondering about forcing a deeper dive. Any opinions?
This one had me thinking nobody's immune. Word was this guy ran 5+ miles a day 3X a week.. definitely on his feet a lot while working..

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Maybe twenty years ago I was diagnosed with a slight heart murmur.

I recall in my teens and 20's, getting sports physicals, boot camp physicals, etc - the docs usually mentioned hearing heart murmurs. Like there was an inkling of things to come, or perhaps they heard PVC's and misdiagnosed.

I have this handheld ecg monitor:

For $200, I can check my heartbeat any time I want, and no monthly subscriptions. It even comes with a 3 lead electrode cable, which really cuts down the background noise. I get the electrodes dirt cheap on ebay, and can download runs and send them to my doc. Peace of mind if you don't want to visit a cardiologist, and it costs about the same as a doctor visit.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Incomplete right bundle branch block
Left ventricular hypertrophy
Next up, lung tests.. which is probably good to do.
Yep, I have had some scary things happen in the past with what could have possibly been a heart attack, stroke type things too 20+ years ago. Afraid to go to the doctor about it as I seemed to just recover quickly on my own and carried on back then.

Sorry to hear about this. Did the doc order an echocardiogram in addition to the lung tests?

An echo is generally the first test ordered to determine how well your heart is pumping and identify any structural issues.

I'd want to understand why the ECG showed an incomplete right bundle branch block and left ventricular hypertrophy. An echo may identify a possible cause, and it will be good to have one as a baseline.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I played hockey with a guy who had a heart attack on the ice. Minor.. He came back to play another few years afterward. Super fit guy. Anyway, he was chatting about this in the dressing room after the game and I mentioned I had an ECG, routine, and it was above average, all good. He says, yeah, I had those every few years because of family history..didn't show a thing... That was not reassuring!! We have smart peeps on here who know much more than I do..but it seems there are simply some genetic components that can't really be helped. All we can do is what we can do.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So Doctor Skinny Jeans Houser just added come comments to my lipid panel.. "YOUR CHOLESTEROL IS REALLY HIGH!" We need to address some lifestyle changes ASAP! My cholesterol is exactly the same as it was 3 years ago and only a couple points higher than it was 8 years ago. It's not great, but hardly had me super worried. it's 214 and I'm not on any statins.. LDL is 148, down 4 points from 8 years ago. It was 152 then.. Guess I just won a supply of Lipitor!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think every aging athlete should get checked out by a cardiologist. Too many die of sudden cardiac death that could be avoided. Skiers, especially at altitude, are athletes, like it or not.

I'm also in the triathlon world, where the proprietor of the triathlon forum has long been encouraging athletes to get screened. Here's his case and screening recommendations developed with the help of really good docs:

With your murmur, I'd at least have an echocardiogram to determine if you have a bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aortic aneurysm like I used to have (along with 1-2% of the population). I now have a dacron tube for my ascending aorta and a mechanical aortic valve that ticks to remind me I'm alive. :ogbiggrin:

Many world-class athletes have had the same congenital defect. Many found out incidentally, like me, before it was too late.

Your doc is probably right that a stress test wouldn't add much given your fitness. I knocked mine out of the park, scoring in the 90th percentile for a twenty-year-old (I'm in my 50s) six months before my open heart surgery. I was still at significant risk of something very bad happening. An echo showed my aortic aneurysm and severe aortic regurgitation (leaking) that the stress test didn't indicate with my strong heart.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think every aging athlete should get checked out by a cardiologist. Too many die of sudden cardiac death that could be avoided. Skiers, especially at altitude, are athletes, like it or not.

I'm also in the triathlon world, where the proprietor of the triathlon forum has long been encouraging athletes to get screened. Here's his case and screening recommendations developed with the help of really good docs:

With your murmur, I'd at least have an echocardiogram to determine if you have a bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aortic aneurysm like I used to have (along with 1-2% of the population). I now have a dacron tube for my ascending aorta and a mechanical aortic valve that ticks to remind me I'm alive. :ogbiggrin:

Many world-class athletes have had the same congenital defect. Many found out incidentally, like me, before it was too late.

Your doc is probably right that a stress test wouldn't add much given your fitness. I knocked mine out of the park, scoring in the 90th percentile for a twenty-year-old (I'm in my 50s) six months before my open heart surgery. I was still at significant risk of something very bad happening. An echo showed my aortic aneurysm and severe aortic regurgitation (leaking) that the stress test didn't indicate with my strong heart.
Thanks…great article, thanks for posting the link. I would not look forward to gagging on a big tube in an echocardiogram but with a hidden condition it sounds as though it could be life-saving.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks…great article, thanks for posting the link. I would not look forward to gagging on a big tube in an echocardiogram but with a hidden condition it sounds as though it could be life-saving.
No gaging tube needed! A standard echo is just an ultrasound of the heart. Easy peasy and cheap. Just like a baby ultrasound.

That's a TTE, transthoracic echocardiogram (through your chest wall).

A transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE) is where they go down your throat to get a better look if they find something on the TTE. They've put me out when I've had those.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
A TEE was used in my proceedure. My throat is in rough shape but my teeth are still attached.

I didn't get a TEE for my afib ablation a few years back. However, they did leave my throat in rough shape as well. Not from the intubation, but from the esophageal temperature probe and the EsoSure device (basically a coat hanger that they can stuff down an OG tube and move the esophagus away from the ablation sites on the back of the left atrium). While my back hurt the most coming out of general anesthesia, my throat pain overtook that within about an hour.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So….yesterday after our discussion here I made an appointment with my doctor to get a referral for a cardiologist who might perform a TTE. Today I got on my home Stairmaster and had a weird episode at the 23 minute mark. I felt a twinge and my heart rate decreased from 150 to 133 instantly. No pain but I felt a bit uncomfortable. So I immediately drove to Park City Hospital.

The ER doc did an EKG, called the attending cardiologist who noted a possible anomoly associated with a heart attack. 30 minutes later I’m on Lifeflight headed to their primary cardiac treatment center in SLC.

I land on the roof and less than 3 minutes later I’m drugged and having an angiogram. Turns out no heart attack, very clear arteries and no indication of anything concerning. Best guess at this point is dyhydration coupled with a long workout at 98%+ of my aged based theoretical max HR.

So here I lay in intensive care for overnight observation but it seems pure formality, no one thinks anything is going on. Follow up with the cardiologist tomorrow morning and likely discharge.

Educational, scary and well surreal.

My view from inside the helicopter.
392C5AB7-8658-4813-AFF3-17FFDA300303.jpeg

Foliage is beginning to turn and looks good from the air.
791C4ABB-C1E8-4BC6-8111-BB719EFEF77B.jpeg

Very clean angiogram.

image.jpg

Good news is, aside from the bullet dodge, I don’t seem to have the heart issue gene that runs through part of my gamily.