• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

heating your tuning shed

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Got my heaters up and running Wednesday. Two simple, 5K King heaters (made in the USA) with wall t-stats. So far so good, but my bar for success is pretty low. Left to itself, the garage and shop both hang around 45 this time of year, and I've just got the heaters maintaining 55 in the shop and 50 in the garage.

View attachment 116094

View attachment 116093
I like that. Do you have to hard-wire it, or can it be plugged in to 120v?
Oh I see 240v. Not cheap. Would be way overkill for my small shop.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like that. Do you have to hard-wire it, or can it be plugged in to 120v?
Oh I see 240v. Not cheap. Would be way overkill for my small shop.

My very basic understanding is that you can get about 1.5 K out of a 15 amp household outlet, so yes, these are both hardwired 240 v. One for the shop (one garage stall in size) and one for the garage itself. Not cheap, but not crazy IMO at less than $900 each.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
here's a deal that may interest some who only need\wish to occasionally heat:

maybe cheaper elsewhere but .. looks a deal, but note the 7000 foot comment:

James

Out There
Instructor

I have that. I would use the jet engine style unit to get the space warm, then switch to that to keep it for awhile. It won’t really do a big space.

Haven’t used it in a several years. I have a devil of a time getting it started off a 20lb propane tank. As I remember, there’s a check valve that shuts the flow off if too much. You have to open the tank valve extremely slowly. It could take many tries. I can’t remember if I did a work around.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I use one in Breck at 9,750'. No problem. The oxygen sensor doesn't shut it down.

It won't run off a 20# tank, though, at that elevation. I bought some refillable 1# tanks and a refill kit so I'm not going through one use one pounders all the time.

The 1# bottle is the only DOT approved refillable according to their literature.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
If insulating is an option I would look at that also, it would allow you to keep the shed at a decent temperature all the time and it will be faster to crank up the heat for the tuning sessions.

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I would look for something that directly vents to the outside if you are going gas or propane. Stay away from the ventless options as those will kill you if you don't have good ventilation in the shed. Search online for fish house heaters and furnaces.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would look for something that directly vents to the outside if you are going gas or propane. Stay away from the ventless options as those will kill you if you don't have good ventilation in the shed. Search online for fish house heaters and furnaces.
Also a good idea for getting rid of the fumes from waxing!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Or RV furnaces.

Sponsor

Staff online