• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from an Austin/Durango Commuter

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
Sitting right now in Austin, where my kids go to school ( 7th and 11th graders) but dreaming about be back in Durango, Co, not long until we are heading back up there. Mostly Skiing Purgatory, Wolf Creek and Telluride these days since home base is Durango.

Started skiing long ago on straight sticks, first lesson was at Hansen Surf Shop ( Encinitas, Ca) on their revolving carpet. Lived for a bit in Front Range ( Colorado) skilled all the mountain but Breckinridge was my regular spot back in the early 90s, then moved to Portland and Skied the PNW ( Hood, Bend, Alpental, Crystal, Whistler), work pulled me south to Bay Area where I split time between Tahoe and fly the cheapest flight ( one positive of SFO back then $99 round trip tickets on United) I could get back to Denver and Skiing with my brother on Front Range resorts. Then long break with life, but 5 years ago the kids were big enough we took them for lesson at Loveland during Spring Break, they sent me off and I had the Ski Bug again. What funny all these years I had my last skis from the late 90s, Dynastar S9 ( gave to a local Ski Patroller who like to ski old long skis it was a 205 cm ) and Salomon Axendo Series ( Still have it ) - 63.5 mm waist all Mountain Ski from the day.

Three year ago we picked up house in Durango, Now I spend more time up at Purgatory ( 30 min away from the house) bellow are photo from our last trip over Christmas break and an extra week into January. The atmospheric river this year brought in lot of snow, even my house in durango has 2-3 feet of snow hanging around. Do get over to Wolf Creek and first time for Skiing going over to Teluride in two weeks, normally go for Fall color to Telluride and in the summer for Mountain Biking.

- Since coming back the first ski I picked up based on shop recommendations was the Vokl Mantra M5 177 cm - since I was on S9 before and I am 6 foot and north 200 lbs. Right now I am thinking about letting go, since I really like more playful skis at this width that are good in Soft snow < 6 inches . if Groomer or the snow is hard I will ride two ski bellow with narrow waists. I am thinking about checking out around 180 cm Rustler 10 or Liberty Origin 101mm. to have backside free ride style ski.
- Black Crows Mirus Cor 177 cm Love these skis when skiing with my wife who is an early intermediate, the short 13 m radius turn are so much fun on all the run I with her on, also it was surprisingly good on Backside of Purg under chair 3, 5 and 8.
- I pick up a Salomon QST 106 188 cm for when we get a few powder days and follow on days, it has also been nice when it get bit beat up and still deep.
- The newest ski, which just showed up is a Stokli Montero AX 178 cm, it really so I can do laps on groomer with CARV push deeper into the shovels with bigger radius then the Mirus Cor. Still not looking to go Macht Schnell, love making turn these day and getting into groove.

Well thanks for having me in the community,

Attachments

• IMG_6144.jpeg
    IMG_6144.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6223.jpeg
    IMG_6223.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6248.jpeg
    IMG_6248.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6230.jpeg
    IMG_6230.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6141.jpeg
    IMG_6141.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6129.jpeg
    IMG_6129.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 8
TS
angstroms

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks you, Here is Telluride in the Fall, and our fury friends having a little fun in the meadow behind our house.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3437.jpeg
    IMG_3437.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 8

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Hit me up when you return. Why would anyone ever leave Durango to mtn bike in Telluride? 300 miles of trails here within 30 miles of town - including the COT.

The AX is my grab and go ski for teaching. Great ski for Purg - no matter where you are on the mtn. Less of a hard core carver / more of a compliant all mtn ski with a huge bandwidth.

Drop by ski school and book a day with Thierry Colas. He is a French alpine coach who chased a girl to DGO. He is superb.

Enjoy.

TS
angstroms

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
Hit me up when you return. Why would anyone ever leave Durango to mtn bike in Telluride? 300 miles of trails here within 30 miles of town - including the COT.

The AX is my grab and go ski for teaching. Great ski for Purg - no matter where you are on the mtn. Less of a hard core carver / more of a compliant all mtn ski with a huge bandwidth.

Drop by ski school and book a day with Thierry Colas. He is a French alpine coach who chased a girl to DGO. He is superb.

Enjoy.
Cool, I let you know when I am back in town.

I love Durango, First time I went was as a kid in the 70's with my Grandparents, then in the 90's we used to come down to ride when the World Cup would come into town, back then I remember Yeti still had factory in town. Back then I rode AMP B3, thinking about it total noodle on fire road, but it crossed many trails in CB as well. it was closest thing to the Yeti back then.

It is good to know the Montero AX is more versatile, I was hopping it would be, I did not really want a pure carver ; ) but some thing for rest of the mountain.

I have been skiing with friend on who boards who also live up in Edgemount Meadows, it been fun running around the mountain on the Mirus Cor espeaclly when I need to follow him since I can follow his line easily.

On Telluride, My Wife like to have lunch and dinner over there, but yeah mostly ride on our side of town.

TS
angstroms

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
Already started the week on the snow, for Super Bowl Sunday I was at Purg for blues skies and great snow. It was first day out on the Montero AX it really is a lovely ski, that was easy to get comfortable with. Great Short Turn ski and will also open up when needed.

Drove over to Telluride yesterday morning with my Valentine ( My wife Laura ) It was snowing as we drove over and Teluride finished the day about 7" inches of snowfall yesterday with a brief period of sun mid afternoon. We are staying until Thursday midday so CDOT will have time to clear the roads from Weds storm that is coming in.

Yesterday I was back on the Stokli Montero AX was in the morning skiing with my wife in the beginner area until her lesson, no problem skiing slow when I need too. After dropping her off, I went up mountain, they are great on ungroomed 3"- 4" power with a firm snow base. The Ski's are stable, quiet, floated better than expected through the fresh snow during the day, they carve beautifully.

We are staying at the Ice house suites in Telluride. which is In town, very nice convent location to the gondola, good size space like 2 room apartment with full kitchen dining space and living room and spacious bed room with full size desk. You could do working trip from this room. Convent to number of nice restaurant and grocery store. Last night we ate at La Marmote, very good food and nice atmosphere.

Update on the Mantra M5, I ended up selling them off over the weekend, I thought they were 177 cm, but it was 170 cm they skied short for me and never really clicked with them .

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpeg
    IMG_6414.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6415.jpeg
    IMG_6415.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 2

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It was nuking at Purg today. Haevier snow moving in this afternoon. Skied the bcakside all AM with my race coach and a Belgian team athlete. Repeating tomorrow. Hit me up if you are here.

TS
angstroms

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
It is the same over here, it snowed all morning with a brief mid-day break, then clouds dropped it was hammering down. I let you know if when I get back over to Durango, right looking to drive back Thursday. Rico to Mancos looks like a mess tomorrow on the road. Sounds like you have some fun over at Purg.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It is the same over here, it snowed all morning with a brief mid-day break, then clouds dropped it was hammering down. I let you know if when I get back over to Durango, right looking to drive back Thursday. Rico to Mancos looks like a mess tomorrow on the road. Sounds like you have some fun over at Purg.

I plan to free ski Friday AM. Gates most of the day Saturday. Hit me up.

Sponsor

Staff online