• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from East Coast...

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi All,

Name is Mike. I'm from East Coast (VT, NH area) and just getting back into skiing after goofing around with the sport periodically 20+ years ago, from age 16-25...maybe 20 ski trips... Half of them not entirely sober (OK not sober at all sometimes) and not trying to really learn anything other than party and go down a slope...i never gave it any more thought or the technical respect it deserved.

So I'm older now and have pulled this ski thing back out of my bucket list, mostly because my daughter and I went a few times and realized I waisted 20 years of NOT doing something that I love.

So I'm starting from a strange position..i know how to ski from the eyes of a layman, but in reality need a lot of practice. I would classify myself at lower end of intermediate.

My current dilemma is that I've seemed to have been able to get a decent handle on groomers with turning, carving a little and overall being able to manage a black diamond in that very narrow set of conditions if I'm paying close attention (as opposed to those who have good experience and seem to just enjoy the casual ski down a black diamond)

So my goal is to not only get better at skiing but WAY better. I have no illusions that this doesn't happen overnight and I am looking forward to the years ahead of improving, God willing good health, mind and body (I am 49).

I'm looking forward to the in depth discussions on here about technique, gear, advice, how to help my daughter get past the wedge, etc.

Take care
Mike

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Get her lessons. Do not attempt to teach her yourself.
Yes... Absolutely. Have not tried to teach her myself. Just dad encouragement. She did a personal lesson for a few hours last time.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
Yes... Absolutely. Have not tried to teach her myself. Just dad encouragement. She did a personal lesson for a few hours last time.
Yes, this. Absolutely and more of it. If you find that the two of you are committing to this, getting her into a ski program at your local mountain is a fantastic way to get her lots of reps with other kids and some time for yourself to boot. You can use that time for lessons yourself or just ski where you shouldn’t be taking her yet.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! Consider joining a seasonal lesson program and having your daughter join one as well, if time and schedules permit. Great way to build skills and meet people at the mountain.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome to this Mash-Up. Always space for more.
What is a youngster like you doing in a place like this? Not a serious question.
There are some very knowledgeable people worth paying attention to.
Sincerely hope that you and your daughter have a grand time on the slippery slopes.

Sponsor