• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from Jersey

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
I should have signed up long ago...because I have questions. I've only ever hit the slopes 5 times over the last 8 years, including a couple of 3-day trips to Colorado in '18 (Steamboat) and '19 (Winter Park).

So I'm definitely a beginner with only a few green and a single blue run under my belt (didn't fall!). A good friend of mine introduced me to skiing and gave me some tips and basically held my hand in the beginning.

I haven't taken any proper lessons yet, and I still don't have much confidence on skis, whether it be sloppy wedge turns or even just walking on skis in some situations.

I'd like to take a trip somewhere in the Northeast before this season is over, and focus for 3-4 days on getting instruction and leveling up.

Are resorts in the NY/NJ/PA area, like Hunter, Windham, Camelback, etc. good enough options? Or is it worth going a little farther out to Killington, for example?

I have to figure out location, rentals, getting a lift ticket or a pass for next season which might also be valid right now, etc.

Any input is welcome, thanks much.

-Rishi

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At your level there is no sense in going to a bigger mountain, like Killington, unless you want to go for other reasons than lessons. Belleayere Mt in NY has a great beginner area with several dedicated lifts. I don't know much about the instructors there but their lesson rates are not too bad.

TS
R

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, I forgot about Belleayre. That is a good option, especially if it's less busy than Hunter or Windham. I'm considering lessons in the morning and then skiing on my own afterwards, and repeating this for a few days. I'll have to see if they have a multi-day package, or can organize one.

Is it better to rent boots, skis, and poles locally at a ski shop or just get them at the lodge up there?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right now, with a lot of warm rainy weather in the forecast, I think things in the Poconos may wind down pretty quick. At the very least, the conditions will get pretty slushy.

The biggest question is availability of instructors, that may be more of a determining factor on where you go.

You plan of AM lessons and PM skiing/practice is good. Just be sure to practice on easier slopes within your ability, to get the new skills to be "second nature", before venturing to something that may be a stretch of your abilities.

As far as rentals go, I have always felt it is better to get them at the ski area, in case you have any issues. Especially boot fit

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Belleayre only has group lesson for rank beginner. Everything else is private. Start booking early, as many instructors are done with their seasons this weekend and next. You can rent at Discovery Lodge (on resort) or at Jimmy's (off resort). The rental are all the same, oversized boots and nooddly skis.

TS
R

RelaxedNinja

Booting up
Skier
Right now, with a lot of warm rainy weather in the forecast, I think things in the Poconos may wind down pretty quick. At the very least, the conditions will get pretty slushy.

The biggest question is availability of instructors, that may be more of a determining factor on where you go.

You plan of AM lessons and PM skiing/practice is good. Just be sure to practice on easier slopes within your ability, to get the new skills to be "second nature", before venturing to something that may be a stretch of your abilities.

As far as rentals go, I have always felt it is better to get them at the ski area, in case you have any issues. Especially boot fit

Although I usually look forward to warm weather, this winter season has been abysmal for snow fall in my particular area. Even though it's late, I hope Mother Nature still has at least one winter storm left for us.

I assume their snowmaking ability is good enough to provide a good surface, as long as the temps are low 30s at most?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I should have signed up long ago...because I have questions. I've only ever hit the slopes 5 times over the last 8 years, including a couple of 3-day trips to Colorado in '18 (Steamboat) and '19 (Winter Park).

So I'm definitely a beginner with only a few green and a single blue run under my belt (didn't fall!). A good friend of mine introduced me to skiing and gave me some tips and basically held my hand in the beginning.

I haven't taken any proper lessons yet, and I still don't have much confidence on skis, whether it be sloppy wedge turns or even just walking on skis in some situations.

I'd like to take a trip somewhere in the Northeast before this season is over, and focus for 3-4 days on getting instruction and leveling up.

Are resorts in the NY/NJ/PA area, like Hunter, Windham, Camelback, etc. good enough options? Or is it worth going a little farther out to Killington, for example?

I have to figure out location, rentals, getting a lift ticket or a pass for next season which might also be valid right now, etc.

Any input is welcome, thanks much.

-Rishi
Welcome to the community, from another Jersey skier, but I am from the southern part of the state. I would suggest not renting at the mountain, maybe a shop near the mountain just in case you need to swap out some gear.
Hunter has a dedicated beginning area, that is pretty good and the lesson should be very good. I don't think you will have much luck with any NJ areas, is Campgaw still open, PA will be a little better.
The ski shop in North Jersey that I have done business with is Mount Everest ski shop, they were knowledgeable the last time I had any dealings with them.
Good luck with your skiing and keep asking questions here because you get the best information from our members.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
You from Jersey? What exit?
C'mon- somebody had to say it.
Not everyone in NJ lives off of the Garden State Parkway.

back to the OP.

Killington does have a nice bunny trail though, that is great for learning.

Maybe take lessons at a beginner hill like Mt. Peter or Campgaw first, then graduate to the Catskills mountain, then when you get more comfortable with the blue trails, then start exploring places like Killington, etc.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I lived off of neither. 2 locations were off of 80, and 1 location in the boonies of Sussex County, near Orange County NY
Any chance you are near the Walpack Inn up in Sussex county? I use to fish Flatbrook that runs behind it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
People go XC over in High Point

Exactly -we don't get half enough beta on places like that - what is the snow pattern like, what are the routes like, what level of crust/refreeze. On this forum and particularly the nordic subforum we have better knowledge of western PA, West Virginia and North Carolina snow patterns than of Sussex County ones. Which is a bad thing IMO.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any chance you are near the Walpack Inn up in Sussex county? I use to fish Flatbrook that runs behind it.
Nope, that not part of Sussex Co. I was near Mountain Creek

Sponsor