• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from Oklahoma!

tteel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Like many of the people who are on this forum I can honestly say I have been bitten by the ski bug! It started in Steamboat Springs in 2011. I took my very first lesson and I was so bad they would not let me out of ski school. I eventually mastered the pizza and french fries that trip but never left a green run. I consider myself a fairly athletic man. I have a background in college sports and have been active my entire life. With my competitive spirit, love for being in the mountains, and wanting to find a new sport to take into old age I decided I was going to attempt to be a better skier. All my friends learned at a relatively young age and can do any terrain on the mountain. Fast forward to 2018 I tried again this time at Canyons (Park City). I watched seemingly every beginner video on youtube prior to my lesson. It was like riding a bike and I excelled very quickly throughout 2 days of lessons. I was going from wedge, gliding wedge, and parallel turns. I even eventually completed a blue run although I felt stiff, in my backseat and not confident. I continued to go every year until now. I take at least one lesson a year. Some of my lessons have been less than fruitful, but I recently had one at wolf creek that was unbelievable. He had me doing falling leafs, one foot skiing, getting off my edges to skid on steeps and managing moguls. The next day I was able to hang with my buddies on every run of the day, blacks, blues, moguls it didnt matter. I may have been the last one down but I made it without falling and with confidence.
I am here today like so many other newbies to help decide which my first skis should be. Which I will make another post about. I have traveled to Telluride, Deer Valley, Canyons, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs. I plan on adding Taos and Big Sky next year. I want to continue my lessons and may attempt a multiday camp. I did a custom bootfitting at Bootdoctors in Telluride with a footbed which seemed like the first thing to outright buy for equipment.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Welcome. Good job on the boots and lessons. In Amarillo and ski Taos and Summit Co as often as possible.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I spent 6 months in Altus Ok and enjoyed my time there :)
Welcome to the forum!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Born in Lawton 1964.. 3rd generation Sooner. My kid's there right now. But, lived places with skiing close from 1973-1990 (except Norman of course-had to travel to ski in college).. Central Texas through the 90s and now in central NC. Central NC turned out to be closer to ski mountains than I thought when I first moved here.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome. I highly recommend a ski week at Taos. It is inexpensive and 6 days with a really great instructor will help you progress quickly. Keep your eye on here around Autumn. We have a Taos gathering every year and most folks do ski week in the morning, meet up for lunch, and ski some runs together in the afternoon.

TS
T

tteel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Born in Lawton 1964.. 3rd generation Sooner. My kid's there right now. But, lived places with skiing close from 1973-1990 (except Norman of course-had to travel to ski in college).. Central Texas through the 90s and now in central NC. Central NC turned out to be closer to ski mountains than I thought when I first moved here.
I spent 4 years in Norman and another 3 years at the Health Science Center in OKC. I still make it to several football games a year.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Hit me up if you come to Purg. Although it is a shit show with spring break right now.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Spent 3 years in OKC. Skiing was tough, but I enjoyed the cheap housing, good eats, and world-class paved trail system.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January