• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet expiry

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do helmets have a lifespan? I understand getting a good shunt on the helmet that it should be replaced. But besides that happening, should helmets be replaced after so many years of use? Do the materials degrade?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big Helmet will say you should replace every 3 to 5 years.

However, some independent ppl tested old helmets, and as long as they initially had the testing sticker, they still were protective and passed the same test even after 20 years. You can google or search and find articles on this.

You may want to upgrade more for features or style rather than the materials invisibly degrading due to time.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just researched this last week and agree with @raytseng. MFGs say every few years because materials will degrade over time. I have no proof of that statement but do know plastics break down over time. I was not able to find the info Ray references above.
I did ask my local expert on things concerning my health and MY WIFE said she didnt sign up to take care of a vegetable so get a new helmet next year. What's your health worth? For me, I wore a beanie until a few years ago but I am all for keeping peace in the house so I will be replacing mine next season.

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I guess that the materials are the same in ski helmets?
Maybe upgrade due to a better color?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I guess that the materials are the same in ski helmets?
Maybe upgrade due to a better color?

If there is a drastic different safety feature e.g. MIPS that you didn't have on your old helmet that would add protection.

The materials and manufacturing technology have improved in new helmets. However don't make the mistake that this mean a new helmet is more protective. If the certification standard didnt change, it is going to be the same protection, but they used the improvements to be lighter, better ventilation, or more comfortable/better fit.
This is also the same about expensive helmet vs cheaper helmets (assuming all same certification). The expensive one is not more protective. It is more expensive for the comfort features.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
If there is a drastic different safety feature e.g. MIPS that you didn't have on your old helmet that would add protection.

The materials and manufacturing technology have improved in new helmets. However don't make the mistake that this mean a new helmet is more protective. If the certification standard didnt change, it is going to be the same protection, but they used the improvements to be lighter, better ventilation, or more comfortable/better fit.
This is also the same about expensive helmet vs cheaper helmets (assuming all same certification). The expensive one is not more protective. It is more expensive for the comfort features.
I think the key is the standards. I started to go down this road this morning after you posted the link. Too much to do today to look for standards for ski vs bike helmets.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yea. I went down this rabbithole a few years back before trying to optimize whats the best helmet to buy based on "safer".

My main source for my statement above though is what I took in after i found a long 1hr interview with lead giro engineer and I ended up listening to the whole thing.
His answer was they can easily produce a significantly safer snow/bike helmet but nobody would buy it or use it as it would be fat.
All the helmets within a given product line all provide about the same protection (as do all their legitimate competitors).
So my takeaway was don't sweat which is going to be safer.

There was at least one companies that did make the fat recreational snow helmet, it was in another helmet thread somewhere. but it will be painfully obvious like 1.5x the foam depth. Maybe it suffered the anticipated fate though and went out of business because nobody bought it.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There was at least one companies that did make the fat recreational snow helmet, it was in another helmet thread somewhere. but it will be painfully obvious like 1.5x the foam depth. Maybe it suffered the anticipated fate though and went out of business because nobody bought it.

That's it. On the strength of this thread I'm totally bringing out my 2002 Boeri with the 3inch foam!

#tadpoleskiing

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
slight hijack here...I have a 2 year old helmet (the helmet itself is 4 years old bought steep and cheap). I took a couple big head hits last winter with it, but no identifiable cracks or dents. Is there a way or need to consider replacing the helmet? I'm not sure how to check for this.

It's a Sweet Protection and I believe they'll replace it for me at a discount if I want, but I'm not wanting to replace it unless I have to.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
slight hijack here...I have a 2 year old helmet (the helmet itself is 4 years old bought steep and cheap). I took a couple big head hits last winter with it, but no identifiable cracks or dents. Is there a way or need to consider replacing the helmet? I'm not sure how to check for this.

It's a Sweet Protection and I believe they'll replace it for me at a discount if I want, but I'm not wanting to replace it unless I have to.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
The Styrofoam inside the helmet absorbs energy by crushing ( can' t say about Multiple Impact helmets) . It can only crush once. Replace it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago, we did quite a bit of testing of protective armoring, including helmets. As long as it was not damaged/subjected to a significant blow, the equipment lasted substantially longer than the warranty date.

What qualifies as "significant" blow? Last year I had a crash while wearing the Smith on my profile pic. No signs on the outside, no signs on the inside and as I really really love this colour and it is not available anymore, I'd like to keep it.
No signs out or in...so, good to go?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
What qualifies as "significant" blow? Last year I had a crash while wearing the Smith on my profile pic. No signs on the outside, no signs on the inside and as I really really love this colour and it is not available anymore, I'd like to keep it.
No signs out or in...so, good to go?
@Tony Storaro I would use this as an opportunity to get a helmet that matches your WRTs. No comment or judgement with regards your previous color choices or fashion sense :roflmao:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A damaged helmet is probably better than no helmet but, as noted above, most helmets are designed to take one good shot whether you can see it or not. Whether to replace it depends on your risk aversion. Personally, I have plenty of other aches and pains; I don't need my head to be in that mix because I reused a damaged helmet.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro I would use this as an opportunity to get a helmet that matches your WRTs. No comment or judgement with regards your previous color choices or fashion sense :roflmao:

Ahhh man, dunno, as you mentioned fashion....I was thinking about it...like thinking real hard you know...but the sublime Stockli WRT jacket+pants outfit will send me back like 1700 euros....And that's LOTSA money for some clothing. That goes against my principles-First Da Boots, 2nd the ski and bindings, 3rd the helmet and then-something in between to (as Clarkson would say) cover my nipples you know.

And then there is the fit. Nothing else but for Smith and POC fits me well in terms of helmets. I do nave a POC in white/black but it clashes with my yellow bibs with which the Smith goes together perfectly. So I very much hope I can keep this Smith.

You see, those are deep waters, not easy....

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Ahhh man, dunno, as you mentioned fashion....I was thinking about it...like thinking real hard you know...but the sublime Stöckli WRT jacket+pants outfit will send me back like 1700 euros....And that's LOTSA money for some clothing. That goes against my principles-First Da Boots, 2nd the ski and bindings, 3rd the helmet and then-something in between to (as Clarkson would say) cover my nipples you know.

And then there is the fit. Nothing else but for Smith and POC fits me well in terms of helmets. I do nave a POC in white/black but it clashes with my yellow bibs with which the Smith goes together perfectly. So I very much hope I can keep this Smith.

You see, those are deep waters, not easy....
I like your logical progression and personally have fashion much lower on the list of priorities when buying ski gear. While I do like the higher end ski jackets ...etc I am very content to pick them up at tent sales over the summers when I find that killer deal, unfortunately I never find the Stockli jackets or pants there.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
unfortunately I never find the Stöckli jackets or pants there.

I do not think anyone has ever found, anywhere in the world, in the entire history of ski clothing making a Stockli WRT jacket on a deal.
These are the pink unicorns of ski clothing.
Some say they look far more striking in the flesh than on their web-page, but again, nobody has ever seen them so this might be just an urban legend.

Anyway, let's forget about them and concentrate on some good, available, relatively inexpensive, preferably GoreTex stuff from other makers. There is a lot of this out there.

Sponsor

Staff online