• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Safety Study- PLEASE READ!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes, and it is an important observation. However, I think it has more to do with sports being tied to them.

*grin* egg/dinochicken - nobody would really care about sports if there weren't money to be extracted.

And the proof is that nobody in the US gives a flying monkey fart about the Universiad/World Uni Games.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
*grin* egg/dinochicken - nobody would really care about sports if there weren't money to be extracted.

And the proof is that nobody in the US gives a flying monkey fart about the Universiad/World Uni Games.
Case in point. You can't buy a Maple Leafs ticket in Toronto for less than $200, IF you can get one. Meanwhile their AHL affiliate plays just down the road and for $18 you can get nice seats with the same hot dogs and beers. Can't get 1000 folks in the stands for those games. It's a glam event, it's not people with an interest in sports.

James

Out There
Instructor
The what??...

On the other hand, I’d much rather watch women’s college softball than men’s college baseball. For one, it’s seven innings instead of 9. Two, the games move much faster. There’s not the endless stepping out of the box, pitcher thinking about the pitch, blah blah blah. It’s bad enough in mlb, college forget it. I’ve got grass growing to watch.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I just want to jump in on this thread for a quick question. Without going to Google or Amazon, do they make helmets designed for women? I have convinced my wife back on her bike for some recreational riding and I think a new helmet would go a long way to keep her getting on the bike.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Many years ago, i rode Downieville for the first time.

Downhill bike, armor, etc.
Took the shuttle van to the top, getting ready to start, when i realized that i forgot my helmet!

I rode it anyway. I must have looked like a geek with the downhill bike and armor and no helmet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just want to jump in on this thread for a quick question. Without going to Google or Amazon, do they make helmets designed for women? I have convinced my wife back on her bike for some recreational riding and I think a new helmet would go a long way to keep her getting on the bike.
Are you talking about a specific brand making helmets for women or in general?

Two of my last three helmets were women specific, in particular this new Giro Source MIPS which has a pony tail port. :D

10AE1458-BC59-49A2-9624-C7989F6A8321.JPG

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Are you talking about a specific brand making helmets for women or in general?

Two of my last three helmets were women specific, in particular this new Giro Source MIPS which has a pony tail port. :D

View attachment 138008
I was asking in general but if one brand and model is better with features specific for a women that would be great. Thanks

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was asking in general but if one brand and model is better with features specific for a women that would be great. Thanks
Much like a ski helmet, its a bit about personal fit and shape.
Obviously I've been trying on and checking out Giro helmets because they are a sponsor.
Previously I was wearing the Smith Forefront, which is a unisex model, but honestly I really like how this Giro fits my head shape a little better.
With the Smith, I always felt like I was between sizes so I needed a medium which was dialed all the way down, but the small helmet was way too snug.
This Giro Source Mips fits great and I'm right in the middle of the adjustment in the size medium.

The Source Mips

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
there very little if any differences. color-ways are really the only difference. I bought my wife my favorite hot-weather helmet and its not branded as male/female. I cant' think of a single difference between a male/female head that would warrant anything different. Bike helmets are just like ski helmets, each brand tends to fit a move Oval or round skull shape. almost all have "pony tail ports" which aren't really anything specific, its just the gap in the rear helmet "framing". I only buy 5- star rated helmets since at the end of the day, thats why you wear one. :). if you are a casual rider, get one that breathes well. thats not necessarily the one with the most vents.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Almost all have "pony tail ports" which aren't really anything specific, its just the gap in the rear helmet "framing".
Believe it or not, there are a few helmets that actually have it in their literature.
Giro does not, but there is definitely a difference between certain helmets on space in that area.
I absolutely couldn't get my pony tail through that gap on my Smith Forefront 2.
I also went to a shop and tried several Giro helmets on before ordering mine and only found a few with enough gap for my PT.
Maybe my hair is just thicker than yours. :ogbiggrin:

As a reference, Here is a photo of me in the Smith.

https://www.skitalk.com/attachments/fullsizeoutput_4aab-jpeg.77336/

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend who got back into/started riding again. She got more of a cruiser/townie ebike and, wisely, a nice Bontrager helmet. First time out she took a spill and scraped her arm up pretty good. When she got to where she was going everyone was commenting on her battle scars until someone noticed the crack in her helmet. Her husband said it looked like someone whacked with a hatchet. Broken plastic, broken hard foam, deformed wave tech (or whatever it's called). She didn't know she hit her head! That's a helmet that did its job. And Bontrager has a replacement policy. They sent her a new one.

My son took a digger boarding this past winter. Cracked the Pret helmet but not his head. Good helmets are worth the $$$.

Sponsor

Staff online