• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Vanity

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I usually ski with no eye protection. I always have goggles, but can go a whole day not using them. Put them down for- severe cold, stuff hitting eyeballs, high speed.
If we eliminate Spring, probably 70% of the time or more un shielded. They tear a fair amount in certain conditions. Not a big deal.
I used to ski sans googles and sunglasses but my sister in law put the hammer down.

Then I wore polarized shades for a many years (still do), finally goggles. With a fat knoggen I need a wide head version and fine with additional suggestions.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Off topic but .....

Terms of pilots ejecting, I heard Chris Stricklin speak at my company where he noted having lost most his cartilage in his backbone from ejecting 140 feet from the ground. I think he noted he is 2 inches shorter.

Very interesting and amazing story.

He was a Thunderbirds pilot, noted the image of his ejection is now quite popular and in part due to the odds that he should of died.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree. However, I have found that the "shield" style of sunglasses that I use for riding and xc skiing greatly reduce this compared with "regular" sunglasses. If the temperature is below freezing, though, these aren't enough and I need the goggles.

Definitely shield/wraparounds are the way to go for all outdoor activities for me, except skiing. Part of the issue is with just glasses the eye watering/tears get mixed with sunscreen and sweat salt and when that gets back in my eyes it's a complete game shut down. Easily get with but not so much when I'm skiing.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well for 95% of the skiing, the lightest colored lens with flash will do. I.e., not clear. (Flash to reflect some rare brightness) Even without flash. If we’re talking late March to May, it’s really the same except have dark sunglasses with you. There are days when you could go full dark goggles. But will you be there?

As to the flip down visor, easy. Use the low light visor, and sunglasses. If it’s really sunny then flip down with the sunglasses.

Good points. On sunny days I mostly ski in very dark Oakley wrap-around sun glasses.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, "no" protection isn't entirely accurate. Even if you have your goggles on top of your brim, you usually wear sunglasses.

View attachment 134302
That falls under the spring clause. Plus, good god, it’s May at 12,000ft. If I don’t wear something I’ll be on the floor barfing at lunch.
Like that time at Snowmass. And the time before that in the Aspen ER. Then there was the time with Ron at Steamboat...

Sometimes at Abay I use goggles and sunglasses. Because I didn’t bring an umbrella. But the East is a whole different story. Usually, nada.

I think I’ve always been that way, but can’t remember. I do remember teary eyes a lot, so prob same thing.
These goggles below I thought were cool because they had plugs on the bottom that said something like “Remove over 100km/hr”
33DAECBB-FFFB-4660-B195-2D5B30D1681B.jpeg

Occasionally I get kids who do the same thing. It’s snowing, and their goggles are still up. I’ll ask, “You don’t want to put your goggles down?” They say no.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That falls under the spring clause. Plus, good god, it’s May at 12,000ft. If I don’t wear something I’ll be on the floor barfing at lunch.
Like that time at Snowmass. And the time before that in the Aspen ER. Then there was the time with Ron at Steamboat...

Sometimes at Abay I use goggles and sunglasses. Because I didn’t bring an umbrella. But the East is a whole different story. Usually, nada.

I think I’ve always been that way, but can’t remember. I do remember teary eyes a lot, so prob same thing. These goggles I thought were cool because they had plugs on the bottom that said something like “Remove over 100km/hr”
View attachment 134374

Occasionally I get kids who do the same thing. It’s snowing, and their goggles are still up. I’ll ask, “You don’t want to put your goggles down?” They say no.
Is that you in the photo, James?

James

Out There
Instructor
Is that you in the photo, James?
Yep. Jeans and Strato 102’s with Look Nevada and retention straps. I think they were leather. My eventual next skis were Olin Mk VI and red Looks with nylon retention straps.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I think I’ve always been that way, but can’t remember. I do remember teary eyes a lot, so prob same thing.
These goggles below I thought were cool because they had plugs on the bottom that said something like “Remove over 100km/hr”
View attachment 134374

I never thought of you as a kid. :) How old are you in that shot?

Nice shot!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I never thought of you as a kid. :) How old are you in that shot?

Nice shot!
I'm gonna say he was 12 and the year was 1973.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow! You da Man, James! You go right ahead a wear, or don't wear, whatever you darn well please - you've earned it 100 times over!

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm gonna say he was 12 and the year was 1973.
I don’t actually know. I think 12 is about right. But ‘73 would not be right, haha. The skis look short but they weren’t. I remember when we got the skis you stuck your arm up above your head and the ski came up to wrist or finger tips. I got the finger tip measurement. I started at 8 yrs old, so maybe I got those at 11? I think those boots were the first “modern” boot I had. Some Technica number. Power straps didn’t exist then, at least at that price point.

In terms of skiing without eye protection, certain things will eliminate large swaths of people. I doubt growing up skiing in the west at altitude you’d do it, and if you need glasses you're not going to do it. Then it’s largely preference of being trapped inside a goggle vs open. Goggles were much smaller even 10 years ago. So that makes a difference. I remember getting the Oakley Canopy, and thinking they are absurdly huge. The guy at the store was like, “You’ll get used to the wide view.” That was true, even if they still look huge. The Scott LCG I have is much smaller and has a restricted view. (Pet peeve- Oakley’s moronic printing of “Prizm” in your lower field of view. Very annoying

I also don’t think I ever had more than 1 lens until maybe like the late 2000’s. In the East it really isn’t that essential, but it’s essential to have something. If that something is dark, you’ll be near blind when you need them.

Don’t think these would be much good for anything-
BE6206F7-45F1-4361-8AC2-081CD91C72EA.jpeg

www.etsy.com/listing/788769103/star-trek-the-next-generation-tng-geordi

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don’t actually know. I think 12 is about right. But ‘73 would not be right, haha. The skis look short but they weren’t. I remember when we got the skis you stuck your arm up above your head and the ski came up to wrist or finger tips. I got the finger tip measurement. I started at 8 yrs old, so maybe I got those at 11? I think those boots were the first “modern” boot I had. Some Technica number. Power straps didn’t exist then, at least at that price point.

In terms of skiing without eye protection, certain things will eliminate large swaths of people. I doubt growing up skiing in the west at altitude you’d do it, and if you need glasses you're not going to do it. Then it’s largely preference of being trapped inside a goggle vs open. Goggles were much smaller even 10 years ago. So that makes a difference. I remember getting the Oakley Canopy, and thinking they are absurdly huge. The guy at the store was like, “You’ll get used to the wide view.” That was true, even if they still look huge. The Scott LCG I have is much smaller and has a restricted view. (Pet peeve- Oakley’s moronic printing of “Prizm” in your lower field of view. Very annoying

I also don’t think I ever had more than 1 lens until maybe like the late 2000’s. In the East it really isn’t that essential, but it’s essential to have something. If that something is dark, you’ll be near blind when you need them.

Don’t think these would be much good for anything-
View attachment 134410
www.etsy.com/listing/788769103/star-trek-the-next-generation-tng-geordi
When you come up with things like this, there is no wonder I can't imagine you as a child. I mean....sometimes I wonder if you were assembled by some mad genius.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When you come up with things like this, there is no wonder I can't imagine you as a child. I mean....sometimes I wonder if you were assembled by some mad genius.
Genius might be pushing it.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As soon as I showed up at A-basin Friday, a couple of guys stopped me and asked about my Da Brim Visor. They wanted to know where they could get one. I asked, and they thought it looked fantastic.

The gentleman who said he goes by Jack Daniels on the mountain even wanted to get a second one to cover the back of his neck, showing me his sunburn in spite of wearing a bandana. He was excited when I told him about the brim model that goes all the way around.

I asked, and they were happy to do a little video testimonial to help me prove a point on the Internet. :ogbiggrin:

Three others also asked me where they could get one over the day. I love trying to interpret the many looks I get from folks who don't say anything. I think generally falling into "what the hell is that" to "damn, I need one of those." Of course, I'm an optimist. ogwink

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
Haha. Thanks Trish.
This reminds me of last I was out in Colorado and cgeib. He was doing one of his projects with controllers and learning how to program. After weeks of deliveries, the Ups guy arrived when his wife was in the garage with the door open. Giving her the package, he looked around and said, “Is your husband some sort of mad scientist?”

I asked, and they were happy to do a little video testimonial to help me prove a point on the Internet.
We don't need a testimonial to know it’s completely horrible and ridiculous. It should be solvable, but that current Alibaba solution is pretty bad.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January