• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Vanity

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Do you like this model better?
Yep. But black is awful.
Just get it over with and go for a Pith helmet-

0F8FDDFD-8E93-4470-8EE9-F0A6ADDE46C7.jpeg

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shouldn’t be THAT hard to get a decent fit in a helmet...in a previous life my flight helmets had a heat treated custom liner the para riggers would fit... the shells were generic shaped but once the liner was properly
EEEEA5F4-6332-4BBB-B758-3B67A08CCA5D.jpeg
installed... hours of comfort with no hot spots. Can argue the aesthetics, but they were comfy. Don’t understand why high end ski helmets couldn’t go similar route.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shouldn’t be THAT hard to get a decent fit in a helmet...in a previous life my flight helmets had a heat treated custom liner the para riggers would fit... the shells were generic shaped but once the liner was properly View attachment 134179 installed... hours of comfort with no hot spots. Can argue the aesthetics, but they were comfy. Don’t understand why high end ski helmets couldn’t go similar route.
nice pic.

The F-35 pilot gets a laser scan of their head, and custom fit. Thought being the number of hours worn and requirements of accuracy of the projection AR system.

Of course, given their cost the fit customization isn't a great adder for the benefits.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
nice pic.

The F-35 pilot gets a laser scan of their head, and custom fit. Thought being the number of hours worn and requirements of accuracy of the projection AR system.

Of course, given their cost the fit customization isn't a great adder for the benefits.
F35 helmet also weighs a ton ! Have tried one on ( haven’t flown it) but with the helmet based targeting etc add ons it’s a long way off from even the Combat edge compatible ones from jst 10 yrs or so ago...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
F35 helmet also weighs a ton ! Have tried one on ( haven’t flown it) but with the helmet based targeting etc add ons it’s a long way off from even the Combat edge compatible ones from jst 10 yrs or so ago...
How does that affect g-load? Is the head well supported in the seat? Is the g-load always in the same direction as the yaw axis? Curious...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

yeah, I read the weight was high and was cut down to around 4 1/2 lbs. I'm not sure how that compares to other helmets but suspect that may build up some neck muscles.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
yeah, I read the weight was high and was cut down to around 4 1/2 lbs. I'm not sure how that compares to other helmets but suspect that may build up some neck muscles.
It’s heavy but pretty well balanced... still, given how common c spine issues are in the fighter community , the additional wt when you’re constantly having your head on a swivel during ACM and pulling G ; can’t be a good thing. Then again: if you ask the flight surgeons they’ll say : c spine pain? Funny sensations in the arms? Huh? Don’t see much of that. Yeah , right. Kiss of death if you’re flying jets is to mention stuff like that during a flight physical.... Or, as I was told / learned early: when you go for your physical the best you can hope for is to break even.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @migdriver , what are your thoughts on the guy last year who accidentally ejected himself from a Dassault fighter? One article I saw said that the pilot should have been ejected also but there was apparently a malfunction. Is dual ejection from one lever standard? Do they do sims with no canopy with two seaters?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the ski helmets with integrated goggles/visors... that it looks like a fighter pilot helmet.

Example: https://www.flighthelmet.com/category/FHT.html

I like the concept of these helmets and looked into them. The issue I can’t shake is that I’m so particular about my goggles and change them so much for differing conditions that I’m not sure how I would deal with that issue.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not sure how I would deal with that issue
Same here... that lens was pretty good in mixed light at Squaw. With my regular helmet, I have Anon M2's with 3 lenses that switch out easily. Though some days, conditions vary and change so much, that you just deal with it. I have been known to switch lenses a couple of times in a day though.

I'm wondering how I'm going to feel next season when I ski in the east. I guess I'll find out. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm wondering how I'm going to feel next season when I ski in the east. I guess I'll find out. :)
Well for 95% of the skiing, the lightest colored lens with flash will do. I.e., not clear. (Flash to reflect some rare brightness) Even without flash. If we’re talking late March to May, it’s really the same except have dark sunglasses with you. There are days when you could go full dark goggles. But will you be there?

As to the flip down visor, easy. Use the low light visor, and sunglasses. If it’s really sunny then flip down with the sunglasses.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heyheyheyhey now, we're talking' vanity here: NEVER were just sunglasses with a helmet, of any sort. Jarring style mis-match.

On a more serious note: once you get past a certain age, unless you have titanium/ beryllium eye balls, glasses result in The Trail Of Tears (Apologies to the Cherokee, Creek, Seminole, Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations).

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fair point - when you're a historically important freestyler/bumper geezer, fashion no longer applies - you ARE the fashion. But I wish I had his titanium/beryllium eyes.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On a more serious note: once you get past a certain age, unless you have titanium/ beryllium eye balls, glasses result in The Trail Of Tears (Apologies to the Cherokee, Creek, Seminole, Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations).
Agree. However, I have found that the "shield" style of sunglasses that I use for riding and xc skiing greatly reduce this compared with "regular" sunglasses. If the temperature is below freezing, though, these aren't enough and I need the goggles.

James

Out There
Instructor
Honestly, I usually ski with no eye protection. I always have goggles, but can go a whole day not using them. Put them down for- severe cold, stuff hitting eyeballs, high speed.
If we eliminate Spring, probably 70% of the time or more un shielded. They tear a fair amount in certain conditions. Not a big deal.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Honestly, I usually ski with no eye protection. I always have goggles, but can go a whole day not using them.
Well, "no" protection isn't entirely accurate. Even if you have your goggles on top of your brim, you usually wear sunglasses.

IMG_5011.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Same here... that lens was pretty good in mixed light at Squaw. With my regular helmet, I have Anon M2's with 3 lenses that switch out easily. Though some days, conditions vary and change so much, that you just deal with it. I have been known to switch lenses a couple of times in a day though.

The shields are fairly reasonable, in comparision to buying goggles.

Sponsor

Staff online