• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help a brotha out Volkl Mantras or Kendos

s15199d

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm torn between Mantras and Kendos. I've never owned a pair of skis, but I think it's finally time I change that. As a skier I'm a bigger guy 6'/260#. I'm an advanced intermediate. I love to lap on blues and follow my friends into the deeper stuff and down blacks from time to time. My turns aren't pretty, but they keep me from killing myself or someone else. I'm more of a schmeer the backs to scrub speed and maintain control (not proud of that, but it is what it is).

I've skied both Kendos and Mantras and I like them for different reasons. I LOVE the Kendos on the groomers. Probably my favorite ski ever. But, don't like it near as much off-piste. The Mantras I like less than the Kendos on the groomers, but I like it way more than the Kendos off piste.

So I'm stuck. Own a pair of skis I LOVE on the groomer, but not so much off-piste. Or, own a pair that's pretty good on the groomer, and pretty dang good off-piste. I feel like the Mantras might be the safer play in case we catch a day with extra pow. Any suggestions?

If I'm grading them I'd go Kendos (A+ groomers, B+ off-piste). I'd go Mantras (A- groomers, A off-spite).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you ski most?

TS
s15199d

s15199d

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks @KingGrump!

I just saw that they have 92 Kendos. I've skied the 88's. Wonder if the 92 Kendos would be a good cross between the Mantras and the Kendo?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks @KingGrump!

I just saw that they have 92 Kendos. I've skied the 88's. Wonder if the 92 Kendos would be a good cross between the Mantras and the Kendo?

Was going to mention they do have a 92 Kendo which is more similar to 88 Kendo in weight and flex so I’d still go Mantra for your size and conditions.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
imho if only 1 ski, get the mantra 102. you could ski the 191, but it will probably beat you up a lot before you become friends, the 184 will probably still have enough support for your weight. The 191 is pretty damn horrible for tight trees offpiste, and eats your muscle. Lack of rocker + superstiff.

The on groomer performance for mantra 102 is so fun though. Ice performance is also just soooo damn good. Juding by your description riding them, I think you need to ride them more to understand how they work, I bet you will like them more and more. my 1st 15-20 minutes on them was like. hmm yeah ok, than it was like yes yes yes!!! trusted them more and more, learned howto weigh them and what they liked for different scenarios. I've hit the 70 mph range on them on piste and they just love it. My mantra 102s sees on piste groomers/ice 90-95% off the time, they are just so much fun there.

sooo, my 5 cent, mantra 102,184cm.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't been on a Kendo 92. So can't say much about it.
That said, not sure I want a wider pair of current gen Kendo. The current gen Kendo lose quite a bit of the liveliness (fun) of the previous gens.

The Mantra M5 is not a wider Kendo. They are two different skis. The M5 is livelier that the Kendo 88. The M5 does much better than the Kendo in soft snow. Rebound out of a turn is quicker and stronger on the M5 without being punishing. The Kendo is damper. Much better than the M5 in very firm snow. The major weakness for the M5 is it loses composure in VERY firm snow. The Kendo does not.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the OP. If you ski the east coast much at all. Forget the M5 and get the Kendo 88.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The OP is from the US east coast, looking for a 1SQ. Think skiing on a hockey rink. 102 ain't it, IMHO.

Both of you are too northern in your thinking. He's in Charlotte, NC.

Hockey rink? Maybe for a day. For anything less than 8 hours drive, January and February are both slush likely seasons.

If anything, he should not compromise his (expensive) Western experience and get a real, frontside hockey rink ski in addition to his Western rig.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
If you’re looking for something that will hold an edge on groomers but still be playful enough in the woods look at the Enforcer 88. If you want to go wider either the 94 or 100 would also be good options to fit with what you are looking for. Any of these would be fine for you as an advanced intermediate in being a bit more forgiving than the Mantra or Kendo.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The OP is from the US east coast, looking for a 1SQ. Think skiing on a hockey rink. 102 ain't it, IMHO.
I would usually agree, but the mantra 102 is just great on ice! the ability to open up the radius + stiffness is key, I will usually grab my super narrows... or just the mantra 102 when we have hockey rink conditons, its of course not as good as a race ski on ice, Id take it over pretty much any other 90/100mm ski for sure.

Over newyears where I was (hemsedal) 19/20 we had hockey rink for... 6-7? days straight :eek: it was cold, then superhot winds for 4 days, before supercold again with a fast switchover, worst conditions Ive ever skied.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Over newyears where I was (hemsedal) 19/20 we had hockey rink for... 6-7? days straight :eek: it was cold, then superhot winds for 4 days, before supercold again with a fast switchover, worst conditions Ive ever skied.

Sounds like normal spring skiing in New England. Without the rocks. :roflmao:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I live in the East, but I take 2 ski trips per year. One with the guys and one with the fam. We bounce around out West mostly: CO, UT, MT.

Mantra M5. Love those skis. User friendly but very very capable even on harder snow.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Manta 102s first. Then next year get the Kendos

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @KingGrump!

Honestly, I saw "Kendo 92" and thought it was a typo. I don't know about the ski until I looked it up. It must have been a late addition to Volkl's line because it is not even in their catalog. It looks like a longer men's version of the Secret 92. Personally, I am not a fan of the Mantra and much, much prefer the 3D sidecut of the Kendo 88 and Mantra 102. I do think the 102 is a lot of ski for a 90% east coast ski even for someone your size. To me it is "hope for" ski, you hope for conditions you might get as compared to the conditions you do get to ski. I'd suggest starting with the 88 then adding a wider ski.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
If we're opening the question up to peanut gallery comments I'm not sure a Kendo or a Mantra would be my pick for a strong intermediate, even one the OPs size. I've seen a lot of (smaller than he is) intermediates struggle to bend Volkls and ski MUCH more cleanly on the pre-2021 Enforcers or similar skis that are a bit softer.

That said, I'm assuming OP tried other skis besides the Kendo and Mantra and prefers the Volkls. Do think the Mantra 102 might be worth a look but it’s even more ski and per my comment above I’m not sure that’s really why you want.

In response to the question asked - I think the answer comes down to how you prioritize your season and where you’re skiing on the east coast. If the Western trips make up a majority of your “importance weighted” ski days then get a ski that maximizes their value.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Honestly, I saw "Kendo 92" and thought it was a typo. I don't know about the ski until I looked it up. It must have been a late addition to Völkl's line because it is not even in their catalog. It looks like a longer men's version of the Secret 92. Personally, I am not a fan of the Mantra and much, much prefer the 3D sidecut of the Kendo 88 and Mantra 102. I do think the 102 is a lot of ski for a 90% east coast ski even for someone your size. To me it is "hope for" ski, you hope for conditions you might get as compared to the conditions you do get to ski. I'd suggest starting with the 88 then adding a wider ski.

Pretty sure the Kendo 92 is not imported by Volkl USA. I also don't think it has the 3d sidecut. Think Corbetts?ASO Gear carry(red) them. And Euro.

Sponsor

Staff online