• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help a brotha out Volkl Mantras or Kendos

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty sure the Kendo 92 is not imported by Völkl USA. I also don't think it has the 3d sidecut. Think Corbetts?ASO Gear carry(red) them. And Euro.
I guess we could call the Kendo 92 a "Secret". ;) And no it does not have the 3D sidecut.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure the Kendo 92 is not imported by Völkl USA. I also don't think it has the 3d sidecut. Think Corbetts?ASO Gear carry(red) them. And Euro.

It's definitely a ski that is flying under the radar. I think @Philpug is right about it being a Secret 92 with a different top skin for the uni-sex market. Side cut is the same as the Secret 92. It's basically a skinnier M5.

The Kendo 92 is available in the USA. Evo carries them. So do Amazon.

ETA: The Secret is a really nice ski but have the same issue on very hard snow (ice) as the Mantra M5.

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
Haven't been on a Kendo 92. So can't say much about it.
That said, not sure I want a wider pair of current gen Kendo. The current gen Kendo lose quite a bit of the liveliness (fun) of the previous gens.

The Mantra M5 is not a wider Kendo. They are two different skis. The M5 is livelier that the Kendo 88. The M5 does much better than the Kendo in soft snow. Rebound out of a turn is quicker and stronger on the M5 without being punishing. The Kendo is damper. Much better than the M5 in very firm snow. The major weakness for the M5 is it loses composure in VERY firm snow. The Kendo does not.
Any thoughts/recommendations on ski length for the M5's? I have Kendo 88's in 177 length and they are fine for me (6'2" 190 lbs) but I was looking to get a pair of M5's for out west. Stay with 177 in M5 or move up to the 184 length?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thoughts/recommendations on ski length for the M5's? I have Kendo 88's in 177 length and they are fine for me (6'2" 190 lbs) but I was looking to get a pair of M5's for out west. Stay with 177 in M5 or move up to the 184 length?

If you like tighter bumps and trees, go with the 177. Charging and skiing wide open areas - 184.
The M5 is nothing like the older gen 2 and gen 3 Mantra. It's much lighter and quicker feeling. The front end likes to float over the snow rather through like the older gens.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
OR...…….the OP @s15199d could just buy my 184 Stockli Stormriders for way less money and be done and not even have to pay for shipping. Just saying.

TS
s15199d

s15199d

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So it's been a few months, but I thought I should report back where I ended up. I found the Volkl Kendo 88's with Marker Griffon 13 ID bindings from evo.com on Black Friday sale out the door for $631. My wife hooked me up and got 'em for me for Christmas. I know the consensus here was the Mantras...but I really love the Kendo 88s and for that price I couldn't pass 'em up. I'll get to ride my new sticks tomorrow for the first time (Beech Mt NC). Then in 2 weeks they're going with me to Whitefish MT. Can't wait!!! Thanks for everyone's input. I'll be looking to pick up some Mantras for a 2 ski quiver, and I feel like that should cover me for most of my skiing.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Highly suggest hitting up the Bierstube on Wednesday for the weekly Frabert award. Enjoy the fish.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
So it's been a few months, but I thought I should report back where I ended up. I found the Völkl Kendo 88's with Marker Griffon 13 ID bindings from evo.com on Black Friday sale out the door for $631. My wife hooked me up and got 'em for me for Christmas. I know the consensus here was the Mantras...but I really love the Kendo 88s and for that price I couldn't pass 'em up. I'll get to ride my new sticks tomorrow for the first time (Beech Mt NC). Then in 2 weeks they're going with me to Whitefish MT. Can't wait!!! Thanks for everyone's input. I'll be looking to pick up some Mantras for a 2 ski quiver, and I feel like that should cover me for most of my skiing.

Hope we get some snow before you get here. It’s abit crusty and crowded these days.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January