• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help Choosing Between Stocklis

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
ski otter 2: You hit the nail on the head.

"But again, that WRT ST ski is meant for recreational skiing, not gates, currently. It was prototyped for that. So the most valuable comparison for it is to the recreational use of, say, a pair of FIS SL skis, or FIS GS skis, not the gate use."

Fully concur. The WRT-ST is one of my favorite sport carvers; it is the pinnacle for this type of ski, which is why I universally recommend it for such groomer zoomer use.

Nonetheless, on my feet the WRT-ST does not grip as well or have as high a speed limit on a very hard race surface as the FIS race skis I used head to head with it--whether gates are present or not. As always, YMMV. FWIW--all the skis used were running the same Atomic/Solomon plate and X-VAR16 binding.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you Doc, for having the patience to sort out the details of where you were coming from.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Joe Intermediate will suffer MIGHTILY in the afternoon if they heed the advise of the local shop owners is my point.

The local Stockli dealer near the OP is excellent. They still have a few pairs of SR 88's, 95's, and 102's in stock as of last week. AR's and AX's have sold out. They also have a new ski guarantee. Yes, they'll take them back if the OP doesn't like them. Your point about local shops isn't correct in the OPs case, but most here aren't listening to him and don't understand where he skis. Hell,, folks here are content insisting that Lindsey doesn't know his product... 'make Stockli great again' I guess.

Last edited:

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@juankarmy , if you are still following this thread, here's the simple solution.

On March 12 there will be a demo at Snoqualmie (Summit West), Spreefest. It is a benefit for Outdoors for All, a great charitable cause, making outdoor sports accessible for kids with disabilities. Snoqualmie isn't exactly Crystal from a terrain perspective, but it is a good enough track to get a feel for ski characteristics in local snow conditions.

Maybe Stockli will be there, @LindseyB ? There will be plenty of other brands that might meet the mission equally well. Decide for yourself.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm guessing the local Stockli rep will be there. I'll give him a buzz today and ask. The OP should take out an SR 88, 95, and on the narrower side, the new Montero AX for fun. I'm pretty sure the rep has a pair of both SL and GS skis, as well as what everyone else here thinks the OP needs. They can also let him (the rep) know what they know so he can hire them and retire. . Myself, I'd suggest the FIS GS for chair 2 at Alpental... so you can hit 70. :roflmao:

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I lived in Logan, a few years ago, there were 3 ski shops in town and an on mountain demo center. You would struggle to buy or demo a ski under 8x mm unless it came with an NNN or SNS binding.

I would say that tells you something about the local skiing. I guess some here would say it was a just noise.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

"But again, that WRT ST ski is meant for recreational skiing, not gates, currently. It was prototyped for that. So the most valuable comparison for it is to the recreational use of, say, a pair of FIS SL skis, or FIS GS skis, not the gate use."

Fully concur. The WRT-ST is one of my favorite sport carvers; it is the pinnacle for this type of ski, which is why I universally recommend it for such groomer zoomer use.

Nonetheless, on my feet the WRT-ST does not grip as well or have as high a speed limit on a very hard race surface as the FIS race skis I used head to head with it--whether gates are present or not. As always, YMMV. FWIW--all the skis used were running the same Atomic/Solomon plate and X-VAR16 binding.
So not the full on prototype WRT binding/rubber pad/WRT plate setup.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The local Stöckli dealer near the OP is excellent. They still have a few pairs of SR 88's, 95's, and 102's in stock as of last week. AR's and AX's have sold out. They also have a new ski guarantee. Yes, they'll take them back if the OP doesn't like them. Your point about local shops isn't correct in the OPs case, but most here aren't listening to him and don't understand where he skis. Hell,, folks here are content insisting that Lindsey doesn't know his product... 'make Stöckli great again' I guess.

I did not mean Stockli reps or reps of other brands. I meant shop owners and especially-guys at the rentals around here.
Typically what you will get is: Take these SL ski or other sub 80mm ski and go play, you will be OK.

Let me just say that it is painful to watch beginners or intermediates on such ski in the afternoon. Just because nobody told them there is better way to tackle soft snow.

Heck, even I was a firm believer that skinny ski was the way to go for every condition before I joined these forums here and at that point the SR95s looked like canoes to me-totally outlandish, weird and unmanageable.
Things changed a lot since that time and presently I spend the main part of my time skiing 90+ ski.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, it's probably more accurate to say 'around my location, shops tend to do x' rather than throwing all shops everywhere under the bus. In the PNW, it's really hard to get people to buy anything under 95 even if they own multiple pairs of skis.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, it's probably more accurate to say 'around my location, shops tend to do x' rather than throwing all shops everywhere under the bus. In the PNW, it's really hard to get people to buy anything under 95 even if they own multiple pairs of skis.
I specifically mentioned Europe, I am sure I did.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"So not the full on prototype WRT binding/rubber pad/WRT plate setup."

Correct--these are Atomic race plates and X-VAR16 race bindings (which allow easy fore-aft adjustability on-the-fly) used on Atomic FIS SL and GS race skis, exactly like this:

XVAR16.JPG

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi there, reaching out to the community for help.
I've been doing some research on Stöckli skis to get my next pair and I've been recommended a few options I wanted to get the community's opinion on.

I've skied my entire life as a child, stopped for a good number of years and I got back to skiing 4 years ago.
I tend to prefer groomers, with a little bit of off-piste skiing, powder and back of the mountain. I'd say based on last season I'm doing around 80% groomers and 20% the rest, although I want to start exploring more off-piste for next season. I would say I'm intermediate - advanced, trying to really grow in the advanced level.
I'm a 5'7 (170cms) tall and 140lbs in weight.

I'm currently skiing a pair of Liberty v82 at 165cms.

1) If you could recommend an all-mountain Stöckli for the type of skiing I described, which one would you recommend?
(Dealers have suggested SR88 @ 166 or the Laser AX @ 161)

2) Later down the road, looking to break up jobs and have one pair for more off-piste fun and one to really kill it at groomers at high speeds, which pairs would you recommend?
(Dealers mentioned SR88 or SR95 and Laser AX or SC Orea )

I appreciate your comments.
Thanks for helping out!

Not sure if you picked one? Today I demo'd the 2023' Stockli's- I ski the Liberty 76W/s 165cm-and Renoun Z-90's 165cm- I grew up on skis, used to race, love to ski fast and make a lot of turns. Today was 14-24F Sunny with Eastern Firm Surface w/loose granular man made snow.
Here's my notes. I really liked the “turtle shell” technology It was my first time on Stokli and won't be my last. All are stable, great carvers, very turny and like speed. (the parenthesis = under foot)
AX-Montero 173cm (80) tad long but WOW- loved them, very easy to ski, everyone’s a hero on these. Wish they had the 168 or 163 to try

Laser SC- 163cm (72) Felt stiffer than AX- great at Speed, so stable- nothing to not like, but I liked the CX better

Laser CX- 163cm (69) WINNER- WINNER this really was 'my ski' from first turn I belonged on them, carved like a dream, rock solid, I loved making tight turns, big turns, left awesome railroad track skis. and FAST- The 2023’s are called Orea- green or blue woodsy top sheet- I took them out 2x just to be sure.

Laser MX- Ladies specific ski 158cm (67) Very nice, too short for me, not as aggressive as others, very stable another make you ski like a hero ski.

Laser World Cup 165cm (66) heavier and stiffer than others, fast, turny, stable, race ski feel, yes, you will go fast.

Laser SX 165cm (70) Skier cross ski- surprised it felt like it skied ‘long’ was very damp, bit heavier, still great stable ski but not as fun as CX or AX

The AX is a 'hero' ski- I think it will make anyone a better skier. Same w/the ladies version MX- All will ski well at speed.
The SC, CX, SX, Worldcup, are the rippers, they love to be on edge and go fast- I hit 62 mph on one of them at my little home bump!

I was so afraid I'd be bummed, when I hopped back on my Liberties - instead I was very happy, they are a great carving ski and I still love them.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Been waiting for someone to file a first hand report on these.
The CX is my older brother's #1 ski. He techs for me and is a high level, not far off from elite tech skier. He owns the Delta, SR95, SR115, Beta,AR 182 and skis every model, but his smile is biggest on the CX.

He is 5'10" 200 lbs and uses the WRT 16 FF binding on them for Skijoring. He gets the playful tip and tail and the stout power underfoot. He is based in Utah.

Patti Boydston Hovdey, 1970 US SL National Champ, was on the CX yesterday and loved them. She is still zipping around Brundage.

I love a CX. For next year it will be available in the Laser CX and as Orea CX (boutique style top sheet)

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
@juankarmy , if you are still following this thread, here's the simple solution.

On March 12 there will be a demo at Snoqualmie (Summit West), Spreefest. It is a benefit for Outdoors for All, a great charitable cause, making outdoor sports accessible for kids with disabilities. Snoqualmie isn't exactly Crystal from a terrain perspective, but it is a good enough track to get a feel for ski characteristics in local snow conditions.

Maybe Stöckli will be there, @LindseyB ? There will be plenty of other brands that might meet the mission equally well. Decide for yourself.
I'll be doing the Sun Valley Demo March 12-13th.

I don't know what Noel's plans are and if he'll be at Snoqualmie.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The CX is my older brother's #1 ski. He techs for me and is a high level, not for off from elite tech skier. He owns the Delta, SR95, SR115, Beta,AR 182 and skis every model, but his smile is biggest on the CX.

He is 5'10" 200 lbs and uses the WRT 16 FF binding on them for Skijoring. He gets the playful tip and tail and the stout power underfoot. He is based in Utah.

Patti Boydston Hovdey, 1970 US SL National Champ, was on the CX yesterday and loved them. She is still zipping around Brundage.

I love a CX. For next year it will be available in the Laser CX and as Orea CX (boutique style top sheet)

You have posted the "evolution" of the AX and SR95 in the past. Would you be able to also post the evolution of the CX? I ask because I have the 2014 CX and I had the 2019 CX. I promptly sold the 2019 CX because it was simply too stiff for me. Maybe I had an odd pair from that production batch or maybe that was just how the CX was in 2018-19. I recall seeing in the 2020 (or maybe 2021) marketing that Stockli actively worked on making the CX softer and more accessible. It seems to me that the CX has gone through some fairly significant changes over the years and so you can't really say you know what the CX is about unless you're specific about which model year(s) you are talking about.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer

I'll think we'll have to get you on a test drive of the new Pro. Might be funner for ya.

Coming down Main Street at Brundage at very high speed, my former FIS points buddy blew by me in a full tuck on the 172 WRT PRO on Thursday. He then wrapped up the bottom with big arcs and powered down the speed into tight arcs.

I asked him if they had a speed limit and he laughed.

The components on the WRT Pro have many of the latest materials from the WC skis. There is a noticeable power increase over the ST. It is definitely a plug or very near plug boot kinda ski.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll be doing the Sun Valley Demo March 12-13th.

I don't know what Noel's plans are and if he'll be at Snoqualmie.

Is that through Pete Lane's? That is not on the SV calendar yet. I may be there if it looks like skiing will be good and I can face the drive two weekends in a row.

Are you doing the Snowbasin demo the weekend prior? I will miss that this year.

P.S. I may have seen you at Snowbasin Saturday on the Montero AXs on Bullwinkle near the end of the day.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Is that through Pete Lane's? That is not on the SV calendar yet. I may be there if it looks like skiing will be good and I can face the drive two weekends in a row.

Are you doing the Snowbasin demo the weekend prior? I will miss that this year.

P.S. I may have seen you at Snowbasin Saturday on the Montero AXs on Bullwinkle near the end of the day.
Probably. My kids love Bullwinkle.

Pete Lane’s demo is the best anywhere. Lots of fun.

I am unsure on the Snowbasin demo at the moment.

Might have a scheduling conflict.