• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help identifying missing 'plugs' in skis

dirklc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello - new to the forum. I hope my questions are posted in the right discussion area.

My son recently purchased a set of used Dynastars in reasonable shape. They have holes in the tip and tail that have some sort of plug glued in place:
PXL_20220114_224831275.jpg

The center of the 'plug' is split so you can insert something through it. What's the purpose of these holes? Are these "rescue holes" (as described here) or an attachment point for some sort of skins? Looks like the Dynastar logo in the middle.

As luck would have it, one of these plugs popped out (appear to be glued in place). Any idea where I can source a replacement?
PXL_20220114_224839460.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To attach climbing skins. These Chams are going on 10 years old So finding some is going to be tough.

TS
D

dirklc

Skier
To attach climbing skins. These Chams are going on 10 years old So finding some is going to be tough.
Thanks for the information - much appreciated. Yeah, we figured it would be hard to track down any replacement pieces given the age of the skis. We might try to craft some rubber plugs and epoxy in place.

TS
D

dirklc

Skier
And I would be curious if you would take a different approach to covering these holes up (actually two plugs have fallen out - one of the tail of the other ski). I could try to fill the entire hole with some epoxy or DIY an insert that I could glue/epoxy in place (cut out a circular plug from rubber or plastic then glue it in place).

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I would be curious if you would take a different approach to covering these holes up (actually two plugs have fallen out - one of the tail of the other ski). I could try to fill the entire hole with some epoxy or DIY an insert that I could glue/epoxy in place (cut out a circular plug from rubber or plastic then glue it in place).

You don't need to cover the holes, just ski them the way they are.

TS
D

dirklc

Skier
You don't need to cover the holes, just ski them the way they are.
Thanks. That's what I told my son (don't worry about it - won't affect the skis). I think he just wants a project and doesn't like looking at a couple big holes in his skis.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. That's what I told my son (don't worry about it - won't affect the skis). I think he just wants a project and doesn't like looking at a couple big holes in his skis.
Oh, OK...yeah go for it then.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks for the information - much appreciated. Yeah, we figured it would be hard to track down any replacement pieces given the age of the skis. We might try to craft some rubber plugs and epoxy in place.

If you're serious about the rubber plugs and want to try something different - try polynorbornene. It's sold on the internets as the 'sad' ball - and yes it does behave quite differently to other rubbers, especially in the cold.

Oh, and don't hit it with the waxing iron.

FWIW, some of us, including @tomahawkins, had a thread with similar ideas here https://www.skitalk.com/threads/ripstick-depleted-uranium.19240/#post-558365

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pop out the other one and put a couple SkiTalk stickers over them..

Sponsor

Staff online