• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose a ski

Roundpanda

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a front side ski that I can use for working on my carving and short turns and skiing with the kids. Trying to decide between the Deacon 75, Redster x7 WB, Deacon XTD, Head v6. Currently skiing the Experience 94TI in 180cm but looking for something shorter and narrower as I find it a little hard to ski at times. I'm 5'9, 165lbs intermediate skiing primarily in Vermont.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have you considered the Deacon 79? Either 163 or 170 cm. Not as tight a radius at the Redster x7 WB, but it also won't demand as much attention when you are with the kids and should handle variable conditions better.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Deacon seems to be a very popular ski with instructor types, together with Head I or e models (not followed it closely lately).

At the risk of facing ski forum ostracism, I actually prefer a slightly wider ski with a less flared tail for my “carving” ski. Now bear in mind I’m a purely recreational advanced skier. I might go in a recreational ski race once a season, with zero ambition of competing for a top 5 or even 10 finish - to complete the course without embarrassment is pretty much the entire aim. But I’ve found the Head Monster 83 more than adequately meets my carving needs, and offers just a little more versatility than some more purely front side focused skis.

To put some context to this, if I was instructing for a season, that’s the ski I would use to teach and do exams.

It’s a superceded ski but there are similar still about - Brahma 82 for instance @173cm would, I think, be ideal for my use. And could ge for yours as well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It’s a superceded ski but there are similar still about - Brahma 82 for instance @173cm would, I think, be ideal for my use. And could ge for yours as well.

The Monster 83/88 was replaced with the redesigned eTitan, which in this regard doesn't really feel or ski like a supershape.

The e series supershapes are quite different than the i series, particularly in the tip, making them more versatile for off piste work while still retaining their piste carving chops, and having better edge grip than the V series skis.

The OP is already skiing a Rossi exp 94ti without complaint (though a bit long) which is a pretty strong ski, and why the suggestion of a supershape eRally rather than a V. Length? 163 or 170. The Deacon's would also be a good choice. He didn't mention racing, or teaching/exams, but a Deacon, eRally, Atomic Redster X WB would work well for the latter. None are gate skis other than for some super casual ' well, I'll just cruise through these for fun' applications.

Full disclosure, I have a relationship with Head, love the Monsters, but think the eRally's a pretty terrific Swiss army knife carver. Everyone makes something similar.. . Blizzard Firebird, etc... Anyhow, that's all I've got.

:beercheer:

Reactions: BMC

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I recently demoed a pair of Rossignol Experience 82 Basalt (and the 82 Ti, as well). The 82 Basalt ski is the absolute easiest ski I have ever been on to carve on almost any terrain. It works at 5 MPH or 35 MPH, easy short turns, easy long turns, easy GS turns. You don't even have to think about this ski .... just tip it and it turns and doesn't punish you for mistakes, which I make A LOT of!

I am a low intermediate and quite a bit bigger than you. The 176cm was great for me and held my weight (240 lbs) surprisingly well. The ski is also no problem in afternoon chop and/or slush. Easy, easy, easy but with a high performance threshold, I hit 40 MPH on icy slopes with this ski a couple of times and it was smooth as silk. At your weight, it would be even smoother!

The Experience 82 Ti is even nicer. A bit less forgiving, perhaps, but still not a terribly demanding ski. It turns well at low speeds and I am not good enough to find its speed limit. Same turning characteristics as the Basalt ski, just more damp and even more stable. If I didn't already own the 86 Ti, I would buy this ski. If I were under 200 lbs, I'd buy the Basalt.

I realize these aren't the "true carving" ski you mentioned in the OP, but they are fantastic carvers that help you progress and offer versatility while also being user-friendly and a bit more versatile than dedicated skinny planks.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The Head V8 or Deacon 80 in 170ish would still have a little backbone while still being able to slip around with the kids. Especially if you give them a easygoing 1/2 tune.

I'm opposite and like the second generation iRally better than the new eRally. The older one seemed to makes multiple turn shapes with a little less nervousness.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think SuperShape series skis are outstanding skis. Rally or Magnum will work for OP in VT.