• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose new wheels for my dorky stealth touring bike!

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last summer I toured in Europe for a month on a Diamant 136 that I bought new for $850 in Austria. The bike was a good value, and I like riding it. It fits me very comfortably. Frame angles, reach and stack are basically the same as a Salsa Fargo, except the 136 has very long chainstays. Which I love, it's very stable and damp in the back because of the longer tubes, and it settles in under a touring load nicely, almost riding better loaded.

The bike is purple and ugly. Upon seeing it my daughter and her friend immediately named it Barney after the purple dinosaur, and not particularly as a tribute but more of a mean girl nickname.

I like that Barney is ugly and dorky. Barney doesn't stand out and scream steal me like my absolutely beautiful fuchsia pink blinged out Salsa Cutthroat does. It is certainly a stealable bike in Europe, but it doesn't draw the eye, and it doesn't necessarily out compete other bikes around it.

I want to get Barney a new wheelset. The wheels that came with it are not awful. Cheapest Shimano Dyno hub, lowest level road hub in back, 32 straight gauge spokes, heavy non tubeless 19mm wide rims. They roll but they don't roll so nice. Set weighs something like $2,900 grams.

I don't need the Dyno hub for summer touring. Without it I'd be able to pull off the associated headlight and tail light. It feels like a dyno hub and the associated lights could be fairly tempting anyway to the European bike thief. Also, I'd like to be able to run tubeless if not for touring then when I ride the bike is my around town commuter.

New wheelset, yes? Nothing fancy, seems like a good upgrade? But I'm trying to keep the bike from looking expensive or being eye-catching. Think I can pull it off without primping up the look of the bike too much?

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh look, it's Barney! He "needs" a new wheelset.

1678404638027.png

Barney all dressed up and ready to roll, Yep I left the dork-disc because taking it off isn't going to help much.

1678404864964.png

Barney climbs a gravel track over the Alps into Italy

1678405394144.png

Shhhhh! Barney thinks he's a "real bike" climbing out of Switzerland and then down to Chamonix. Let him have his moment -- don't remind him he's an ugly fitness bike.

1678405630443.png

For a cheap bicycle Barney has great taste in wine.

1678405707422.png

Chicks dig Barney.

Last edited:
TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe these, i20mm 32 triple cross spokes 1677 grams. Maybe a bit on the narrow for 40-45mm tires tubeless. 319lbs total system weight:

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-4-season-superdura-disc-wheelset

Or these? i25 28 spoke double cross 1698 grams. More modern rim shape. 286lbs total system weight, but touring on 2x cross 28 spokes kind of freaks me out:

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-4-season-gravel-x-wide-wheelset

Both about $420 right now, and axles can do 135mm QR (yep, Barney is all class).

Which to choose? Or will they make Barney too handsome for his own good?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Possibly some Hed Belgium+ rims. I do believe they are a 21mm internal width and I'd consider them to be kinda 'not flashy'. I currently have a set of those on my gravel bike with some 1.75" tires mounted on them.

If your running 135 disc HG, (standard 9mm qr front?) there are quite a few 'deals' to be had on hubs in that classy' standard. Id lace up some Belgium+ rims to a decent hub 32 x3 for loaded touring.

I built a ton of wheels around this XT hubs, for the money I don't think they can be beat.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'd switch to "butted" spokes. Brass nipples. Don't ignore the tires. Heavy wire bead tires with low thread count are awful. Otherwise I agree with Chris, great utilitarian build.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Possibly some Hed Belgium+ rims. I do believe they are a 21mm internal width and I'd consider them to be kinda 'not flashy'. I currently have a set of those on my gravel bike with some 1.75" tires mounted on them.

If your running 135 disc HG, (standard 9mm qr front?) there are quite a few 'deals' to be had on hubs in that classy' standard. Id lace up some Belgium+ rims to a decent hub 32 x3 for loaded touring.

I built a ton of wheels around this XT hubs, for the money I don't think they can be beat.
Those Hed Belgium+ rims look really nice. Expensive though. Great advice to maybe look for low-priced "outdated" 135qr hubs and build something up.

Triple cross spoke pattern You suggest makes me feel secure on a touring. I'm not sure exactly why; I've had plenty of 28 spoke double cross wheels that have been really durable and have stayed true. There's just something about how sturdy in every direction a 32 spoke triple cross wheel feels though.

All that said I think I'm leaning towards the i25 Hunts. I've had good luck with Hunt Wheels in the past, and they are pretty cheap and easy, just pull him out of the box and put them on the bike.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
If You are traveling using a setup with a industry standard and bombproof hub like an XT would be perfect. Nothing worse than being somewhere and not being able to get bearings for a rough hub. Brass nipples w/ a DT G540 ($) or G531 ($$) rim or the Hed Belgium ($$$) as previously mentioned by Chris & Scott. I have no concerns about a 28H.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Agree with all Chris said, except this. I'm personally 0 for 3 with XT freehubs and rear axles, though it's been a long time since I threw in the towel on them.

Heavy wire bead tires with low thread count are awful.

+100

All that said I think I'm leaning towards the i25 Hunts.

Hard to argue with. I wouldn't sweat the 28 spoke count, as we've learned over the last decade or so that it's more about rim strength than spoke count. Note that I said more, not all. ;)

bombproof hub like an XT

Not my experience at all, with N = 3 quite some time ago.

I have no concerns about a 28H.

Agree 100%.

Finally, such a cool bike. I really love the old-school bar ends. I miss mine on the mtb every time I do a long, gravel road climb.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
If You are traveling using a setup with a industry standard and bombproof hub like an XT would be perfect. Nothing worse than being somewhere and not being able to get bearings for a rough hub. Brass nipples w/ a DT G540 ($) or G531 ($$) rim or the Hed Belgium ($$$) as previously mentioned by Chris & Scott. I have no concerns about a 28H.
thanks for listing some DT rims that would be appropriate. I'm always confused sifting through all the different DT Swiss rims.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree with all Chris said, except this. I'm personally 0 for 3 with XT freehubs and rear axles, though it's been a long time since I threw in the towel on them.

+100

Hard to argue with. I wouldn't sweat the 28 spoke count, as we've learned over the last decade or so that it's more about rim strength than spoke count. Note that I said more, not all. ;)

Not my experience at all, with N = 3 quite some time ago.

Agree 100%.

Finally, such a cool bike. I really love the old-school bar ends. I miss mine on the mtb every time I do a long, gravel road climb.
Tom thanks for the confirmation that 28 spokes is fine.

As for bar ends, they came stock on the bike. I NEVER would have thought to put them on, but now I use them constantly, both to vary hand position and as a better way to hold the bar when out of the saddle. I much prefer having them to not.

I do like Barney. It's been a very long time since I've owned a bike that was "just a bicycle." Before I added Barney to the stable it was a Salsa Cutty, an Ibis Ripmo, and a Rocky Mountain e-Hardtail. It's been great having a cheaper (bit still pretty good) all-arounder. After being on task-optimized bikes for a long time I started to think for some reason that random all-around bikes were undesirable, but really Barney performs really quite well at a number of jobs, albeit 10-15% slower than a bike that's good at doing that one thing.

Plus he's ugly and, knock on wood, no one seems interested in stealing him when he's lightly chained outside the supermarket.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's another question that is verging on the absurd. Would adding aerobars to Barney make him look so silly that fellow cyclists would wash out their front wheels slipping on their laughter tears?

I ask because on last summer's tour I often found myself suffering the most on long flats into a headwind. Like when I'd already ridden 60 - 80 miles and had 10 or 20 to go until the distant hotel that for some reason I thought was a good idea to book that morning. Both for better aero and a new relaxing body position, I rode a lot with "puppy paws," aka forearms resting on top of the handlebar.

Effective, but so sketchy. Not much control, and lower than I'd optimally want to bend. I'd command myself in the morning "no puppy paws today!" But then in the 5th hour I'd succumb to comfort and speed (get the damn ride done and have a beer!) over safety.

Not sure if I can even fit aerobars to a flat bar, but probably? And it's going to look idiotic, particularly with the bar ends on there too :)~. More control and more comfy than puppy pawing though? I've never used aerobars on any bike so any advice is taken to heart!

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Zero experience with aero bars here. Sorry.

Well, except for relegating any that show up on group road rides to the back of the paceline! :geek:

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Zero experience with aero bars here. Sorry.

Well, except for relegating any that show up on group road rides to the back of the paceline! :geek:
I know, I can barely stand the thought of aerobars! But really I want a safer more comfortable place for a little lie down on long touring days. Maybe if I call them "handlebar cots" ....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know, I can barely stand the thought of aerobars! But really I want a safer more comfortable place for a little lie down on long touring days. Maybe if I call them "handlebar cots" ....

I don't blame you a bit, and they would suit the "I'm just a bike" motif you've got going with Barney.

But they might not let you use that h-bar bag? Looks tight on space.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@Hankj

Dude aerobars are becoming standard on the endurance gravel and bike packing scenes!

I just put some bar ends onto my fat bike in attempt to help some wrist issues Ive been having over the past few years. I haven't ran bar ends this century, but I don't give a damn if it allows me to ride more comfortably and longer! I think I'll be dropping a set onto my xc bike this spring.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tom I'm going to get rid of the bar bag. Going to get a bigger frame pack and fill the seat pack a little more. I have the bar bag mounted pretty well, But it is still a bit of a PITA and sometimes annoying when I'm riding. And I don't like the feeling of having weight on my handlebars.

So yeah plenty of room for super dorky aero bars on a flat bar with bar ends :). I'm going to look like a cutting edge endurance gravel rider :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Here's another question that is verging on the absurd. Would adding aerobars to Barney make him look so silly that fellow cyclists would wash out their front wheels slipping on their laughter tears?

'Better aero and different body position' -> I like raker bars. Sometimes inboard, sometimes outboard of the flat bar grips.

OG Scott Rakers (specifically for inboard mounting on drop bars):

Not sure if I can even fit aerobars to a flat bar, but probably? And it's going to look idiotic, particularly with the bar ends on there too :)~. More control and more comfy than puppy pawing though? I've never used aerobars on any bike so any advice is taken to heart!

Gobs of people do it. You can go for a Sofiane Sehili / Atlas Mountain Race type vibe.

You can also try an alt-bar rig. The classic in that genre is the Jones H-bar. @chris_the_wrench referenced them above.

https://jonesbikes.com/h-bars/

Notice that an H-bar is basically a triangle aero-add on like these:

except built into a handlebar that has rise and sweep.

IMO forearm supports make or break the useability of all handlebars for end-of-day headwind suffering. If I was going for an alt-bar solution I'd definitely do additional supports/ armrests.

I have the bar bag mounted pretty well, But it is still a bit of a PITA and sometimes annoying when I'm riding. And I don't like the feeling of having weight on my handlebars.

Hehe, now you know why tourers and rando guys obssess over front racks, decaleurs, and bikes with low geometric trail.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online