• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose skis, please - Narrowed down my ski choices but now I'm stuck

Darwin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Getting back into skiing after many years off. I already have boots but after renting the past few years want to get my own skis. I've done hours upon hours of reading. I've talked with people at shops, got conflicting advice (I didn't tell anyone what another shop said or recommended, I didn't want to bias anyone) and done more reading. I have narrowed down my choices but I feel like now I'm down to a point where I have analysis paralysis and can't make a final decision. I also need a little help with final length.

I'm 5' 9' and 220-230 lbs (depending on the day). Skiing location is northeast (New England so mostly VT/ME). I am a lower intermediate skier. I stay on the groomers (greens and blues) for now as I'm getting my confidence back. I may work my way up to following friends onto diamonds or off trail that isn't too tightly packed with trees. I'm mostly a pivot/slarve/skid type turner but want to get better. Since it's the northeast, something that can handle the varied conditions from groomed trails, the inevitable steeper section on the blues that is icy, and the end of the day chop and slush. On steeper sections, I definitely skid to kill speed. I'm not looking to go fast anymore, so something that is stable at moderate speed down those steeper sections until I can either reduce some speed or get to the end of that section and slow when it flattens out/widens is all I need. While at some point diamond trails may happen, doubles and moguls hold no interest for me.

Because I'm heavier and on the shorter side, I've gotten a bunch of varying advice about the type of ski such as: 1. You're heavier, so even though you aren't aggressive get something with titinal in it otherwise you might over power the ski; 2. Don't get Ti versions, they'll be too stiff for you; 3. With your weight and style width should be 88-90mm; 4. You should go with something narrower like 82 - 88mm; 5. stay in the 165-176 range for length; and 6. You should be in a 180 cm ski.

The final contenders (at one point there were more than 20 that I researched and eliminated) basically boil down to a couple different Elan models in varying widths, and two other skis. Meet the contenders on "these could be your skis":

1. 2023 Elan Wingman 82 Ti or 86 Ti (both in 166cm);
2. 2022 Elan Ripstick 88 or 96 (both in 172 cm although 180 was recommended by one place).
3. 2022 Dynastar M-Pro 90 (170cm) and
4. 2022 SALOMON QST 92 SKIS (169cm or 177cm - again one place recommended shorter and one said longer).

The lengths are not set in stone. If I should go up or down, and they're available, I can but based on what I was told/read these are the sizes.

At one point or another in the last three days, I have decided on each of these and then backed off my decision. The way I have tried, unsuccessfully to view it is narrow the Elans down by deciding on Ripstick vs Wingman, narrow that choice to one width and then decide the last Elan standing vs the Dynastar and Salomon. Unfortunately, making that decision has proved impossible for me.

Reviews make it seem like the Salomon could be a great ski for me and then one place said it would be too stiff. One place recommended the Ripstick 96 over the 88, another said 88 over 96. Some reviews and one shop make it seem like the Wingman would be perfect, but the same place that said the Salomon's would be too stiff said the same thing about either width Wingman Ti (i.e. they'd be too stiff).

Despite all this, apparently, I decided the cure for my information overload was more information.ogsmile

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-D

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Unfortunately, making that decision has proved impossible for me.

Despite all this, apparently, I decided the cure for my information overload was more information.ogsmile

Thanks.

-D

Ask yourself: what are your plans for the number of days you will ski this season, and for lessons?

I ask because the more days you plan to ski, and the more lessons you take, the sooner you will outgrow the shorter versions and the more compliant models on your list.

Something like the 166 Wingman 82 Ti will be easy for you to control - in lessons - now but will be outgrown by next season if you do more than 15-20 days - with lessons.

Something like the QST 92 in 177 will be harder (but not unduly hard, unless your new boots are loose) for you to control and execute exercises on - but may last you a few seasons if you go on to have long seasons.

OTOH if you expect to have 5-10-15 day seasons, with maybe 1-2-3 lesson days therein, there's no point in getting something much beyond what will be easy for you to control now. By the time you graduate off them, there will be a new crop of gear and new research to be done.

Last edited:
TS
D

Darwin

Skier
Ask yourself: what are your plans for the number of days you will ski this season, and for lessons?

I ask because the more days you plan to ski, and the more lessons you take, the sooner you will outgrow the shorter versions and the more compliant models on your list.

Something like the 166 Wingman 82 Ti will be easy for you to control - in lessons - now but will be outgrown by next season if you do more than 15-20 days - with lessons.

Something like the QST 92 in 177 will be harder (but not unduly hard, unless your new boots are loose) for you to control and execute exercises on - but may last you a few seasons if you go on to have long seasons.

OTOH if you expect to have 5-10-15 day seasons, with maybe 1-2-3 lesson days therein, there's no point in getting something much beyond what will be easy for you to control now. By the time you graduate off them, there will be a new crop of gear and new research to be done.
Fair point. I forgot to include that. Given my schedule and that my wife doesn't ski, it'll be 5-10 days a year at most. I would like to keep these for the next few years though. I don't want to outgrow them in a year.

No chance the boots will be loose. Master boot fit appointment already done. They're like a warm snug hug around my feet.

Appreciate the feedback.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
You can go either of 4 routes. From most expensive to cheapest:

Buy the brand new ski of your on-paper dreams. Discover that you don't ski on paper. Sell skis at a loss, buy your second pair mid season.

Demo for the first ~5 days. Get a feel for what you like. Apply the cost of the demos towards a new ski, buy with confidence.

Based on your research and the mind-numbing goodness of the voluminous information on these pages, buy what you think is a good fit on paper right now if you find it in last year's stock at discounted prices. Warning: Everyone's bio mechanics, skiing style, conditioning and ability are different. Just because Joe Skier loves the ski doesn't mean you will. If you don't like the ski, at least you paid less for it. *Last year's prices disappear sometime after mid October.

Armed with the same list, buy some leftover last year's demos, used skis, or go to a ski swap, lots of swaps on now to November. Less outlay, and if you choose poorly just sell them for close to what you paid and try again with your next choice.

I know you don't want to outgrow them, but realize it is very difficult to get it right the first time. You just don't know what you don't know.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You briefly mention your boots. Are they new or from your previous skiing days? If old spend your money there first. Great skis don't ski well without a well fit pair of boots on your feet.

Getting off my high horse now and leaving. Have a great winter.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Eliminate the Ripstick 96. You have no need for a 96mm wide ski and it will stunt your ability to improve. No matter what else you do, cross this one off. One down.

I'd suggest skipping the Wingman 86, go 82 or go Ripstick 88. Two down.

The Dynastar is a really good ski, great shape for what you are looking for, but it's a little wide for where and how you are skiing. More aspirational than practical. Three down.

Let's speed this up:

I'd replace the QST 92 on your list with the Salomon Stance 84 and then I would go buy that. It's the middle ground between the Wingman and the Ripstick. Goldilocks.

My work here is done.

TS
D

Darwin

Skier
Eliminate the Ripstick 96. You have no need for a 96mm wide ski and it will stunt your ability to improve. No matter what else you do, cross this one off. One down.

I'd suggest skipping the Wingman 86, go 82 or go Ripstick 88. Two down.

The Dynastar is a really good ski, great shape for what you are looking for, but it's a little wide for where and how you are skiing. More aspirational than practical. Three down.

Let's speed this up:

I'd replace the QST 92 on your list with the Salomon Stance 84 and then I would go buy that. It's the middle ground between the Wingman and the Ripstick. Goldilocks.

My work here is done.

Thanks, Mike. Very helpful. I'll look at the Stance 84. It was not one that was on the "prior list."

Question. You eliminate the Wingman 86, leaving the 82, but kept the Ripstick 88. I'm curious as to why? If the 88's weren't ruled out for the same reason at the 96s and the Dynastar 90s as too wide, why knock out the 86? Just trying to understand. Thanks again for your response.

To answer Bad Bob: The boots are new. I got rid of all my old stuff 15+ years ago. Though I do miss the ease of the in/out of those old Salomon rear entry boots.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Question. You eliminate the Wingman 86, leaving the 82, but kept the Ripstick 88. I'm curious as to why?
Well, the Wingman 86 is a big 'frontside-biased' ski and the Ripstick 88 is a narrower 'freeride-biased' ski, so while the Ripstick IS wider, it should feel more nimble to you.

The Dynastar was a tough 'out', and it really shouldn't be eliminated if the Ripstick isn't (but I sort of did eliminate the Ripstick) it's a great ski, I just think you will be best served by a non carving-biased, mid-80s ski that isn't built like an intermediate level package ski. The Stance is that ski, the narrower M-Pro isn't.

That was my thought process.

TS
D

Darwin

Skier
Thanks, Mike and silverback. Mike - Length? 169 or 177?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
1. You're heavier, so even though you aren't aggressive get something with titinal in it otherwise you might over power the ski; 2. Don't get Ti versions, they'll be too stiff for you; 3. With your weight and style width should be 88-90mm; 4. You should go with something narrower like 82 - 88mm; 5. stay in the 165-176 range for length; and 6. You should be in a 180 cm ski.
1 & 2 ....nonsense. It is not what the ski is made of, it is how it is made to perform.
3. Double nonsense.
4. Even narrower. Width relates to snow conditions. For your snow I'd suggest skis in the 70s. Wider skis have more flotation in deep snow. Narrower skis are much easier to put on edge as well as easier on knees.
5 & 6 ...it all depends on the ski's stiffness. As skis are made longer they're made stiffer. At 5-9 & 220, a moderately short ski, maybe nose high, and kind'a stiff should work well for you. But...not too stiff. You need to be able to let it flex as you ski at your speeds.

So...for 5 to 10 days a year, rent top skis. Don't rent beginner skis. When you find what skis perform for you, then consider buying. But, as Bob said, most important are good boots, suitable for your feet, ankles, and ski technique, and that fit just right. No looseness inside the boots. Snug and comfortable everywhere. An exoskeleton like a lobster shell.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm 5' 9' and 220-230 lbs (depending on the day). Skiing location is northeast (New England so mostly VT/ME). I am a lower intermediate skier. I stay on the groomers (greens and blues) for now as I'm getting my confidence back.

I'm not looking to go fast anymore, so something that is stable at moderate speed down those steeper sections until I can either reduce some speed or get to the end of that section and slow when it flattens out/widens is all I need.
Slow down on the steep by coming across the hill more. A slower line.

Because I'm heavier and on the shorter side, I've gotten a bunch of varying advice about the type of ski such as: 1. You're heavier, so even though you aren't aggressive get something with titinal in it otherwise you might over power the ski; 2. Don't get Ti versions, they'll be too stiff for you; 3. With your weight and style width should be 88-90mm; 4. You should go with something narrower like 82 - 88mm; 5. stay in the 165-176 range for length; and 6. You should be in a 180 cm ski.
Ha. It’s all kind of true, believe it or not. Except 3), about the width. Weight has nothing to do with width unless we’re talking flotation in soft snow.

You have to get into the details of these points really for what would work better, or your preference.

We could find a ski in the 165-170 range that would work.

Be aware that some skis change construction significantly.
Lets take the Soloman Stance 90. (Don’t know about the 84)
Between 176 and 183, the 183 gets significantly stiffer. You can easily see the difference in construction in the store by the thickness in the middle.

So, it’s a great ski. The 176 works fine for someone heavy, unless… you go into steep softish snow. Just doesn't have the beef.
But that’s for an advanced skier.
If you ski at low edge angles, and don’t d try demand a lot of force back, the softer works fine. “Demand” means high edge angle fast turns, or steep slopes lots of edge angle. I.e., centripetal force + gravity.

Probably… the Stance 84 in 176 would work just fine. The next shorter could work, I doubt they made it even softer, don’t know. It somewhat gets into preference/feel.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Volkl M6 mantra or Nordica enforcer 94 in appropriate length for you. 230 at 5’9 you’re going to flex skis easily at lower speed (F=ma)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Getting back into skiing after many years off. I already have boots but after renting the past few years want to get my own skis. I've done hours upon hours of reading. I've talked with people at shops, got conflicting advice (I didn't tell anyone what another shop said or recommended, I didn't want to bias anyone) and done more reading. I have narrowed down my choices but I feel like now I'm down to a point where I have analysis paralysis and can't make a final decision. I also need a little help with final length.

I'm 5' 9' and 220-230 lbs (depending on the day). Skiing location is northeast (New England so mostly VT/ME). I am a lower intermediate skier. I stay on the groomers (greens and blues) for now as I'm getting my confidence back. I may work my way up to following friends onto diamonds or off trail that isn't too tightly packed with trees. I'm mostly a pivot/slarve/skid type turner but want to get better. Since it's the northeast, something that can handle the varied conditions from groomed trails, the inevitable steeper section on the blues that is icy, and the end of the day chop and slush. On steeper sections, I definitely skid to kill speed. I'm not looking to go fast anymore, so something that is stable at moderate speed down those steeper sections until I can either reduce some speed or get to the end of that section and slow when it flattens out/widens is all I need. While at some point diamond trails may happen, doubles and moguls hold no interest for me.

The final contenders (at one point there were more than 20 that I researched and eliminated) basically boil down to a couple different Elan models in varying widths, and two other skis. Meet the contenders on "these could be your skis":

1. 2023 Elan Wingman 82 Ti or 86 Ti (both in 166cm);
2. 2022 Elan Ripstick 88 or 96 (both in 172 cm although 180 was recommended by one place).
3. 2022 Dynastar M-Pro 90 (170cm) and
4. 2022 SALOMON QST 92 SKIS (169cm or 177cm - again one place recommended shorter and one said longer).

The lengths are not set in stone. If I should go up or down, and they're available, I can but based on what I was told/read these are the sizes.

At one point or another in the last three days, I have decided on each of these and then backed off my decision. The way I have tried, unsuccessfully to view it is narrow the Elans down by deciding on Ripstick vs Wingman, narrow that choice to one width and then decide the last Elan standing vs the Dynastar and Salomon. Unfortunately, making that decision has proved impossible for me.

Reviews make it seem like the Salomon could be a great ski for me and then one place said it would be too stiff. One place recommended the Ripstick 96 over the 88, another said 88 over 96. Some reviews and one shop make it seem like the Wingman would be perfect, but the same place that said the Salomon's would be too stiff said the same thing about either width Wingman Ti (i.e. they'd be too stiff).

Thanks.

-D
Book a half day private. Ask your instructor what ski would help you on your journey.

As for shop employees and advice on the internet: No one has likley seen you ski, so they cannot recommend a ski to help you capture sensations that will help you improve (provided they that have that basis of knowledge and MA skills).

As another said, go the performance demo route. Invest in instruction if you want tio improve. A new pair of skis, by themselves, will likley build compensation, not capacity.

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
I definitely support the last post, no one can pick a ski for you without seeing you ski, I suggest rent high end skis of your choice in the demo category until you find what works for you. Spending some money on a good qualified instructor is money well spent. Between a good instructor and lot's of demo skis you can and will sort out and find the ski that works for you before you spend a wad of money on a ski that does not work.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’re skiing 5-10 days a year, as others have suggested, rent demo skis for the day’s conditions, ideally at a rental shop at the base of wherever your skiing. Start with shorter and if you feel like you need more stability swap them out. If you don’t like how the skis on your feet feel, swap them out. If conditions change, swap the out. If you want skis that match your outfit better, swap them out. Do that for at least one season so you get a sense for what you like. If you end up skiing more in the future you’ll have a better idea of what to buy. Then you’ll only need to invest hour and not hours and hours researching since you’ll know what you want.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Okay, with respect, I would toss blue's suggestion into the trash. It has all the hallmarks of "this is what the cool kids are on" with no evidence of having absorbed anything you wrote beyond your weight, or of what gear actually optimizes both the experience and learning progression on groomers in New England.
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. If one finds enforcer 94 a bad suggestion for anyone(not too light) anywhere then they might have a skewed opinion. Not everyone’s going to like something along the line of a super shape e-rally even at the ice coast. Not everyone has a race background or learned skiing when they’re a kid, and the fact is: free style leaning all mountain skis are more forgiving than front side skis, easier to shed speed, easier to smear, easier in trees, and doesn’t get knocked around in tracked out snow.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. If one finds enforcer 94 a bad suggestion for anyone(not too light) anywhere then they might have a skewed opinion. Not everyone’s going to like something along the line of a super shape e-rally even at the ice coast. Not everyone has a race background or learned skiing when they’re a kid, and the fact is: free style leaning all mountain skis are more forgiving than front side skis, easier to shed speed, easier to smear, easier in trees, and doesn’t get knocked around in tracked out snow.
Cudos for not throwing out the baby with the bathwater. His weight is not the only thing that is important. Nevertheless it can not be ignored with any hope of ending up with the right ski for his purpose. He needs a stiff ski. He is mostly on groomers, and wants to get better. While a 94 mm wide ski with some rocker will be a great benefit off piste, it won't be the best choice for improvement on groomers. A narrow full cambered stiff carving ski is the best tool for that job, for many reasons. Allowing for some compromise to make it easier, throw in some tip rocker and a bit of width if you must. The rally would be about as much compromise as I would allow, unless I was an instructor and wanted to keep him as an intermediate student for the next umpteen years. :duck:

Last edited:

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Cudos for not throwing out the baby with the bathwater. His weight is not the only thing that is important. Nevertheless it can not be ignored with any hope of ending up with the right ski for his purpose. He needs a stiff ski. He is mostly on groomers, and wants to get better. While a 94 mm wide ski with some rocker will be a great benefit off piste, it won't be the best choice for improvement on groomers. A narrow full cambered stiff carving ski is the best tool for that job, for many reasons. Allowing for some compromise to make it easier, throw in some tip rocker and a bit of width if you must. The rally would be about as much compromise as I would allow, unless I was an instructor and wanted to keep him as an intermediate student for the next umpteen years. :duck:
If the goal is to rapidly improve his skill, then put him on race skis or race-like. They for sure will punish sloppy techniques. FIS SL skis will do, or e-race pro. I bet race coaches and ski instructors all have different take on this.

Speaking of which, I am picking between e rally and e race pro for my next pair. Hard to say which is better.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January