• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose skis, please - Narrowed down my ski choices but now I'm stuck

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
skiing is natural to me. I don’t get what the big deal is.

To me a double black usually has major consequences when one screws up. Up to and including death.
Otherwise it's just another marketing blue.

James

Out There
Instructor
There are no double blacks at Alta. Should be cake.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd replace the QST 92 on your list with the Salomon Stance 84 and then I would go buy that. It's the middle ground between the Wingman and the Ripstick. Goldilocks.

My work here is done.

I apologize on behalf of the site for all the thread drift here. Blue seems to be #2 to me (hint: sarcasm) And boy do people need to go skiing very soon. :roflmao:

Hopefully I can offer some more useful advice, coming from someone 6'4", 240 lbs. OP, you need a reasonably stiff ski, having metal in would be good, but not essential. I second Mike's suggestion of the Slaomon Stance. You could add the Atomic Maverick as well. I thought the Wingman 86 with metal was another good choice. You should use the ski selector on this site. What does it say for you? Watch Ski Essentials vido's where they show you a lot of skis. Pick a stiffer one in the 80's is my suggestion. If you want to adopt or transition to a carving style, then a 78mm wide would be better. 90mm is just not going to have enough grip on ice.

Length, stay in the 170-175 range. A 166 is too short for your weight unless you are talking race skis, which were discussed but crazy for you right now. The Stance in 177cm would work, or maybe the 169cm if you felt 177 was too long. A Liberty Evolve in 172cm is worth a look. Atomic Maverick in 176cm.

Lastly, go to Sunday River, their mtn shop demo's skis. Sport Thoma nearby does too. The mtn shop makes it easy to try multiple skis in a day for the same charge. You can probably do this at many ski resorts. Its worth the $50 to actually get on the skis and find what you like. They will apply your charge to a purchase if you buy from them. This is a better way to find "your" ski, but you get much better prices throwing your dart at the board and picking a ski and buying it at left over prices. What ever floats you boat.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
To me a double black usually has major consequences when one screws up. Up to and including death.
Otherwise it's just another marketing blue.
Who’s the arbiter of black vs double black? Where do people go check for a list of approved “real” double blacks?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Who’s the arbiter of black vs double black? Where do people go check for a list of approved “real” double blacks?

Each resort rates their own trails. It's all relative.
Just be forewarn that not all double black are of the same difficult level.
One resort's double black run can be a blue trail at another resort. As I said before, it's all relative.

For example. This is a photo posted by @Tony S in another thread of @mdf on Hunziker Dog Leg at Taos during the last Taos gathering. It's a fairly easy double black for Taos. Does this relate to the double blacks you frequented? Think of it as look before you leap kind of warning.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If the goal is to rapidly improve his skill, then put him on race skis or race-like. They for sure will punish sloppy techniques. FIS SL skis will do, or e-race pro. I bet race coaches and ski instructors all have different take on this.

Speaking of which, I am picking between e rally and e race pro for my next pair. Hard to say which is better.

Enforcer 88 over the 94. Pretty easy.

For you? No idea, but the eRally is a very different critter than the eRace Pro. I own and ski both. If I had to sell one, it would be the eRally. That said, the eRally is the better ski for most people. It's just more forgiving and doesn't require the accuracy of the eRace Pro. Anyhow, it all really depends on where you are in your skiing and what you're doing/hoping to do.

Last edited:

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Each resort rates their own trails. It's all relative.
Just be forewarn that not all double black are of the same difficult level.
One resort's double black run can be a blue trail at another resort. As I said before, it's all relative.

For example. This is a photo posted by @Tony S in another thread of @mdf on Hunziker Dog Leg at Taos during the last Taos gathering. It's a fairly easy double black for Taos. Does this relate to the double blacks you frequented? Think of it as look before you leap kind of warning.
Well, why gatekeeping who did double black then, since there’s no universal standard.
Enforcer 88 over the 94. Pretty easy.

For you? No idea, but the eRally is a very different critter than the eRace Pro. I own and ski both. If I had to sell one, it would be the eRally. That said, the eRally is the better ski for most people. It's just more forgiving and doesn't require the accuracy of the eRace Pro. Anyhow, it all really depends on where you are in your skiing and what you're doing/hoping to do.
Thanks, I’m now leaning the eRace pro. I want something that forces me to adapt to better techniques. I think the less I can get away with crappy techniques the better.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, why gatekeeping who did double black then, since there’s no universal standard.
Hmmmmm. Didn't see any gatekeeping going on.... marketing maybe, but no gatekeeping. Having grown up in the upper midwest, other than Mt. Bohemia (haven't skied there), there's really no 'true' double black terrain there at all compared to most of the areas in the PNW. Doesn't really matter unless you're travelling and are expecting equivalencies, but growing up, no one had any illusions of slope ratings being comparable... dunno when that changed. Maybe egos have flourished with all the economic gain. Same with Japan and 'black/double black' stuff... there's very little comparable inbounds double black terrain, but the skiing is still nice. Doesn't all really matter much though. You get there, look at it, and decide if it's for you... or not.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Hmmmmm. Didn't see any gatekeeping going on.... marketing maybe, but no gatekeeping. Having grown up in the upper midwest, other than Mt. Bohemia (haven't skied there), there's really no 'true' double black terrain there at all compared to most of the areas in the PNW. Doesn't really matter unless you're travelling and are expecting equivalencies, but growing up, no one had any illusions of slope ratings being comparable... dunno when that changed. Maybe egos have flourished with all the economic gain. Same with Japan and 'black/double black' stuff... there's very little comparable inbounds double black terrain, but the skiing is still nice. Doesn't all really matter much though. You get there, look at it, and decide if it's for you... or not.
“No you didn’t do true double black because they’re all marketing” is equivalent of “no you didn’t go to true basic training because it wasn’t Parris Island.” Or “you didn’t go to real basic training because you didn’t go before they got soft in 2010s.” Or “you didn’t truly drive a Porsche because it was a turbo 4 cylinder”. Classic gatekeeping.

James

Out There
Instructor
Way too much concern for trail ratings.
Alta shuts the gate at single black, “Our work here is done. You figure it out.”

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Not gatekeeping. Rather consider it as a warning. It could be your life that is at stake.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Darwin, though it is a bit narrower than skis on your list, one to consider that doesn't get mentioned often is the Salomon S/Force Ti.80. Strong on trail, fun off trail, and provides a lot of room to grow. It skis way above its price point.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid