• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose skis, please - Narrowed down my ski choices but now I'm stuck

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
i doubt those people that got clif‘d out were naturals..

This might not be Caston, maybe it’s…

View attachment 181519 if you've skied Baker, you'd know there are places anyone would get coiffed out. All looks good, you see a couple tracks in, and, well, yer pretty screwed. Even Marcus would know better.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
There is a very noticeable difference between winter, snow-covered, slopes and summer slopes.
Just saying.

Also, the accuracy of some of those contour maps leaves a lot of room for improvement. It's just based on an interpolation of data points, some of which are pretty few and far between.

One can always hope that the areas surveyed at resorts have more data.
Dunno, did loads of ski touring with topos, a compass, and an altimeter. Mostly pretty accurate, or at least accurate enough in most national systems.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@markojp - I’m sure. It’s tough to know sometimes when you see tracks going in to certain places. My comment was more tongue & cheek since certain posters are ‘naturals’, getting cliff’d out wouldn’t happen to them.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
@markojp - I’m sure. It’s tough to know sometimes when you see tracks going in to certain places. My comment was more tongue & cheek since certain posters are ‘naturals’, getting cliff’d out wouldn’t happen to them.

I cliffed myself out in the Alpental side country on my teley gear several seasons back. Fortunately it was only probably 15 ft or so, but it sucked. Low coverage, hard snow, no one around, etc.... Finally just dropped it with a crunch. On a powder day, it would have been a hoot! Was skiing at Baker several years ago when a guy cliffed out, fell, and passed away... It was sad, but one wondered how many signs he had ignored to get where he was. Have seen a handful of people get cliffed out on Spanky's at W/BC.... didn't look fun at all and seemed entirely easy to do.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I cliffed myself out in the Alpental side country on my teley gear several seasons back. Fortunately it was only probably 15 ft or so, but it sucked. Low coverage, hard snow, no one around, etc.... Finally just dropped it with a crunch. On a powder day, it would have been a hoot! Was skiing at Baker several years ago when a guy cliffed out, fell, and passed away... It was sad, but one wondered how many signs he had ignored to get where he was. Have seen a handful of people get cliffed out on Spanky's at W/BC.... didn't look fun at all and seemed entirely easy to do.

i think we have all done something.. I haven’t been cliff’s out yet, been lucky! things can get serious pretty quick. I got vertigo after hiking to the chutes at BS when I lived there. Never experienced anything like that before and hope to never have that feeling again.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speak for yourself gramp.

C'mon down to Taos. I'll personally introduce you to my good friend Chuck. Real nice guy.
Most Taos gathering attendees from this forum have seen Chuck. From a distance.

Sponsor

Staff online