• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me correct my technique (slight A frame)

TS
D

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
With what? Did you watch the other clips and conclude that none of them are good dynamic skiing?
I won't be offended. For the most part, I tried to include clips with my roughest skiing on purpose. Most of these clips are after 2-5 hours of skinning/climbing, in a variety of conditions on light gear. I'm a self taught skier - never raced, took lessons, etc...just been skiing since I was very young - so I'm sure I've developed quite a few bad habits along the way (which I'm hoping to improve upon).

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, was thinking fore/aft could be off, making her pedal too much. Without more info, worth trying :thumb:

I'll disagree.

One time is fine, couple times it's fine. In every turn to overshoot a bit - ok, technique maybe. But in pretty much each and every turn to end up jammed so far on the cuff like this, on even a simple soft slow run like this one?

View attachment 154141
That's not fine. This dude has skied a lot of backcountry and he's fairly competent at it. To know and be aware that he can't release the skis, he must have tried adjusting a bunch of things and didn't work.

Who else has a cuff that folds so easily and drives your knee in like that in a slow soft turn?

OP - this is a fairly big stretch of the Achilles tendon:

View attachment 154142

P.S. The technique advice is all fine and would definitely improve the skiing - but I would still take a hard look at the equipment issues I mentioned. @Noodler gave a simple solution to try as well... and I added a simple test to gauge the setup.

:toast
Took her to the shop and the alignment was crap. They aligned them properly and we will go from there. If she still has issues I will check out heel lift options and gleen more info from you all

TS
D

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
I promised some on-piste clips, and I wanted to make sure it was in as crappy of snow as the northeast can offer. Remembered late Sunday to grab a clip. Gotta say...some of the worst conditions in all my years skiing. Full day of sleet/freezing rain + skied off manmade snow . This doesn't look it, but is a modestly steep double at Gore called Lies. So, I thought it would be a good test of technique and character. It was boilerplate and I was skiing reserved..particularly since I didn't know what the snow was gonna be like on it...I just assumed it would be lousy. I really enjoy trying to make a lot of turns in this type of snow (rather than let the skis run). Definitely some misturns and mistakes. I'm still spotting the issue with the inside ski (but I think less-so than in the backcountry clips with wind-affected snow).

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you given any thoughts on what you do to release the ski at the end of the turn? In the first turn in the first clip you extend the outside leg to release the turn, but the ski does not bite so much which leads to the inside-outside separation. You are pushing to release. Nothing wrong with that per se, but in these conditions I think a flex to release pattern would suit you better. If pushing is you habitual movement pattern it may feel weird to do the opposite, but IMO it is necessary to be a complete skier.

TS
D

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
Have you given any thoughts on what you do to release the ski at the end of the turn? In the first turn in the first clip you extend the outside leg to release the turn, but the ski does not bite so much which leads to the inside-outside separation. You are pushing to release. Nothing wrong with that per se, but in these conditions I think a flex to release pattern would suit you better. If pushing is you habitual movement pattern it may feel weird to do the opposite, but IMO it is necessary to be a complete skier.
Never given much thought to it. Problem is I'm self taught and started when I was very young. So, I really only thought about skiing in relatively simple terms or by adapting to whatever the conditions made me do.

Thinking about it now, I think it varies a lot depending on the conditions, how fast I'm skiing, and what skis I'm on. Here, I was skiing slowly in some very slick conditions on Volkl Deacon Pro 76, which is really the first ski in my adult life that was more of a narrow, on-piste ski...I definitely think more consciously about release the tails on this ski vs. my all mountain/powder skis. I usually am primarily carving on the deacons...and I feel like that is just such a different sensation...I feel like I just get slingshot from one turn to the next, and I guess I just focus on kind of picking my line as the skis swing across the fall line. What do you mean by flex release pattern? Is that what I'm doing when carving? Thank you.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are lots of threads and articles of flexing vs extending, and it is also somewhat of a contentious topic.

Without going into too much detail, a flexed release is where you release and/or unweight the skis by flexing the outside leg.
Compared to an extended release where you push you would preferably have some dynamics in the turn before the release so that you don't just collapse to the ground or have to support your weight throughout the transition.
This is done more with balance than muscular effort, e.g. counter balancing. (Hence the "Accelerate up or down, always" in my signature)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lets break this down to a couple of simple little problems, in part this is caused by self perception and actual, good thing you realize something is wrong, just not the what.

1. You ski a touch back seat, the more you lean forward the more you stick your bum out. So simple solution stay more upright in the legs as you lean forward upper body, will pit more pressure on your toes and shin.

2. The back seat causes a touch off balance late in the turn causing you to side and a reflex reaction to catch yourself with the inside leg. Looks like a stem, but its not its a balance outrigger, stem starts early, outrigger at the end. Almost all skiers go through this stage and get stick there because they are not balanced see first note.

Side slips and 360 drills, will show you fore/aft balance issues, lean forward and bend at the knees you wt goes back your balance goes off, tails slide, A frame happens. Yes fixing this feels awkward because it removes safety but in actuality improve your over all skiing and improves overall technique. Think of you ski good, now it will be great.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
1. You ski a touch back seat, the more you lean forward the more you stick your bum out. So simple solution stay more upright in the legs as you lean forward upper body, will pit more pressure on your toes and shin.
Not sure I agree with this. Sure, a bit aft sometimes but I don't see this as a major problem unless it is constant. He quite often works the skis from fore to aft, e.g. below is the beginning of a typical turn.
Being aft at the end of a turn can be good, because that will translate to more inclination in the next fall line.
1642066756881.png

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure I agree with this. Sure, a bit aft sometimes but I don't see this as a major problem unless it is constant. He quite often works the skis from fore to aft, e.g. below is the beginning of a typical turn.
Being aft at the end of a turn can be good, because that will translate to more inclination in the next fall line.
View attachment 155024
Yeah exactly, and the more dynamic and short the turn, the more back you will be at the end of it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I'm seeing is that he doesn't do it all the time, this is good (sorry didn't mention that in the earlier post).

But when he does he's just bent forward as if to apply more wt on the tips, but in doing so squats back, bends at the knees without applying pressure to the tips about half way thru his turn.

This causes that classic butt steer (aka slide on the tails) and the instinctive but wrong push out the inside leg inwards to balance. "A" Framed.

This is also why I don't believe he's stemming as that would occur considerably earlier.

This is why I strong point towards balance (and balance drills) and all skiers must pass through this stage, though few actually make it to the next level with divine intervention on their own (remember he said he's self taught). Some never do as that balance, step in instinct is strong.

Over all he's close, its the understanding why and what causes it so he can fix it.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry forgot to add @Jamt the difference between your back is good and my back seat is timing and when it occurs. His starts in just before middle, what you suggest starts just after that initial tip load has occurred well past the middle of the turn to transfer energy to the tails for the powerful rebound, but there generally is no A frame done correctly.

TS
D

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
What I'm seeing is that he doesn't do it all the time, this is good (sorry didn't mention that in the earlier post).

But when he does he's just bent forward as if to apply more wt on the tips, but in doing so squats back, bends at the knees without applying pressure to the tips about half way thru his turn.

This causes that classic butt steer (aka slide on the tails) and the instinctive but wrong push out the inside leg inwards to balance. "A" Framed.

This is also why I don't believe he's stemming as that would occur considerably earlier.

This is why I strong point towards balance (and balance drills) and all skiers must pass through this stage, though few actually make it to the next level with divine intervention on their own (remember he said he's self taught). Some never do as that balance, step in instinct is strong.

Over all he's close, its the understanding why and what causes it so he can fix it.
This is all very helpful. I'm looking at various clips of skiing . . . when the snow is worse and when I'm skiing slowly (like the clips above), I definitely am seeing more of this pattern, with the skis pointing in somewhat different directions at some point in the turn. But in more predictable, consistent snow, or when I'm really skiing quite aggressively, it seems to go away. I'm guessing the challenging conditions (and maybe slower skiing?) are exposing my flaws.

In any event, I'm going to dedicate some time to focusing on my inside ski and my balance - particularly while we have no snow in the northeast. Based upon what I've heard, I will: (i) focus on dropping my inside knee a bit more and bringing the inside ski back and perhaps a bit closer to the other ski (which I believe should make my inside ankle have more dorsiflexion); (ii) practice some side slips and 360 drills (I will look that up); and (iii) focus on not sticking my butt out, to the extent it become apparent. If there are other things, please let me know, and thank you all. I am also working a bit more on my carved turns on the steepest resort slopes. I usually have no problem with that, if the snow is decent, but again, when it gets ultra firm on something that its ~30 degrees, I'll often carve 6-7 turns, then have to skid one to get my speed back down...that's for another day.

I wish I had done this stuff at a younger age, but I was preoccupied with jumping off things and skiing hard, rather than skiing smart. Though likely not useful for any movement analysis, I'll leave with this clip of some nice corn skiing on Mt. Washington last spring - I was skiing well, and it was a day to remember. Thank you again all for your guidance - I have a ton of appreciation and admiration for your insight and ability to detect these issues.

Mt. Washington - Snowfields to Tuckerman

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is all very helpful. I'm looking at various clips of skiing . . . when the snow is worse and when I'm skiing slowly (like the clips above), I definitely am seeing more of this pattern, with the skis pointing in somewhat different directions at some point in the turn. But in more predictable, consistent snow, or when I'm really skiing quite aggressively, it seems to go away. I'm guessing the challenging conditions (and maybe slower skiing?) are exposing my flaws.

In any event, I'm going to dedicate some time to focusing on my inside ski and my balance - particularly while we have no snow in the northeast. Based upon what I've heard, I will: (i) focus on dropping my inside knee a bit more and bringing the inside ski back and perhaps a bit closer to the other ski (which I believe should make my inside ankle have more dorsiflexion); (ii) practice some side slips and 360 drills (I will look that up); and (iii) focus on not sticking my butt out, to the extent it become apparent. If there are other things, please let me know, and thank you all. I am also working a bit more on my carved turns on the steepest resort slopes. I usually have no problem with that, if the snow is decent, but again, when it gets ultra firm on something that its ~30 degrees, I'll often carve 6-7 turns, then have to skid one to get my speed back down...that's for another day.

I wish I had done this stuff at a younger age, but I was preoccupied with jumping off things and skiing hard, rather than skiing smart. Though likely not useful for any movement analysis, I'll leave with this clip of some nice corn skiing on Mt. Washington last spring - I was skiing well, and it was a day to remember. Thank you again all for your guidance - I have a ton of appreciation and admiration for your insight and ability to detect these issues.

Mt. Washington - Snowfields to Tuckerman
Nice. Are those Camox Freebirds? If, so how do you like them? I've been thinking of getting a pair. I love my Atris but they are a bit on the heavy side for hiking.

TS
D

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
Nice. Are those Camox Freebirds? If, so how do you like them? I've been thinking of getting a pair. I love my Atris but they are a bit on the heavy side for hiking.

They are! I like them a lot - most of the touring in the Adirondacks has 3-6 mile flat approaches to bottom of lines, so I like having something that isn't too heavy. They ski well at moderate speeds and are decent in variable snow conditions. It's a very intuitive and forgiving ski. They float well; edgehold is fine for most the touring I do. My prior touring ski was an old Kastle FX104, which was more damp and I liked it very much. But, I definitely move faster and have fresher legs on the Camox Freebird. It is a bit more easy going, and far more manageable on the skin track. I've skied them at the resort on powder days in the northeast. They're fine but don't have the muscle I'd like for the chop. If I still lived in Colorado, I'd probably still use the Camox Freebird for touring.

Last edited:

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
(and maybe slower skiing?) are exposing my flaws.

I am also working a bit more on my carved turns on the steepest resort slopes.

Don,
IMHO, the first statement from your earlier post hits the nail on the head. Given that my suggestion would be to work on your carved turns and all other turns on the “shallowest” resort slopes. Speed hides many sins. If you can’t do it slow you can’t do it.

Don’t think for one second I am criticizing your skiing because I am not. It can use some tweaks (as can everyone’s). I just happen to think the tweaks will be easier to spot and fix on gentle terrain.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(and maybe slower skiing?) are exposing my flaws.

I am also working a bit more on my carved turns on the steepest resort slopes.

Don,
IMHO, the first statement from your earlier post hits the nail on the head. Given that my suggestion would be to work on your carved turns and all other turns on the “shallowest” resort slopes. Speed hides many sins. If you can’t do it slow you can’t do it.

Don’t think for one second I am criticizing your skiing because I am not. It can use some tweaks (as can everyone’s). I just happen to think the tweaks will be easier to spot and fix on gentle terrain.
I think in this case speed is need to id the flaw, one of the few times slow and easy will hide it.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
He's back in regards to the fall line, because of inadequate upper lower body separation for his short radius turns. He can get more performance out of the ski with better separation, and then he could rely less on the hop and more on the ski which would clean up the carves and make it easier to parallel. For those short turns, he'd do better with an early weight shift and better separation.

TS
D

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
I want to thank everyone for their advice and guidance. I've spent the past couple months trying to be more conscious and deliberate about inside leg activity. Managed to sneak a few clips in some variable conditions...one at Mad River Glen, and two at Aspen this past weekend. Just freeskiing offpiste. But, I think (and hope) that my inside leg is much more active and aligned, and particularly attentive to what happens in variable snow - which I think is a good way to expose things that def need work. Haven't really been touring, so might be somewhat of a touring boot thing too. I might be getting some new boots over summer, so I think I might try to be more proactive in getting some really dialed boots (either for a new touring boot or if I get a new resort boot too). Still a work in progress, and definitely thinking of new things to work on. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online