• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me dress for XC skiing

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
As many have said, clothing for running or cycling in similar temps works well. Alpine ski stuff can function but is more bulky so is not ideal.

I usually have a backpack with water, tea, snacks, extra gloves and warm dry clothing

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I usually have a backpack with water, tea, snacks, extra gloves and warm dry clothing
I use a Camelpak

The model I use have some storage, enough for quite a few things. But I don't overload them unnecessarily. Or it becomes a "monkey on the back"!

The key is it's narrow so it doesn't interfere with arm movement.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
My xc ski gloves are the same pairs of gloves that I used for bc skinning which are my running gloves or a pair of lightweight BD gloves. They're not water or windproof, and that hasn't been a problem because I'm not xc skiing in the rain (or wet snow, for that matter). My hands actually get warm when xc skiing because (maybe) I'm gripping the poles too tightly?
I think one of the reasons your hands are warm is you're working hard PLUS the arm swing and hand actions ensures good blood flow to the hands. This is normal.

That said, you should not need to grip the poles tightly if you set your straps right - which is generally pretty tight.

Last edited:
TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! I go to the grocery store and wash the car and there is a blizzard of wonderful replies. Thank you ALL!

Unlike, it seems, most people here, I am not a cyclist and so do not have any cycling clothes. I do jog (or run slooowly) but mostly in summer and so in a t-shirt and compression shorts.

I do have some CWX tights that could work. and fleece undershorts, but not sure I need those as those parts on that guy who froze his ...... are different from mine.

There are terrific suggestions, and I am going to have fun this summer finding what I have that will work and what needs to be filled in.

I did hear that one should not wear wool socks for XC and I did find on my last outing that my alpine ski socks gave me a chafe. If not wool, then what?

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good. One thing I don't have to get.

Thank you @Tony S for the offer of the pants, but I'd be flabbergasted if they'd fit. I am a short old lady and you are a lanky dude.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do have some CWX tights that could work. and fleece undershorts, but not sure I need those as those parts on that guy who froze his ...... are different from mine.
I think he said that just to be outrageous. But then again, I haven't had to worry about those parts, either. I've a pair of Pearl Izumi Amfib sort of tights that I first wore to run in cold windy conditions and have added to my xc ski wardrobe (it's never gets that cold where I now run). They're fleece-lined and have windblocker in the front.

I think one of the reasons your hands are warm is you're working hard PLUS the arm swing and hand actions ensures good blood flow to the hands. This is normal.

That said, you should not need to grip the poles tightly if you set your straps right - which is generally pretty tight.
You're likely right. Although you have never seen me attempting to go downhill on xc skis -- death grip and all. ;)

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did I? Or did I use it to anchor a continuous spectrum of bad outcomes, the other side of which can and does happen at 50F, especially after multi-hour efforts?
I meant the Olympic skier was being hyperbolic. Of all the Nordic skiers in the world who would be able to figure out how to dial in their kits, it’d be the Scandinavians, but again…I don’t have to worry about that part of the body, so I don’t really have a basis for my statement other than no one else seems to have complained.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I meant the Olympic skier was being hyperbolic. Of all the Nordic skiers in the world who would be able to figure out how to dial in their kits, it’d be the Scandinavians, but again…

Or they might be the ones most likely to think they could get away with dressing light and cold. Or no one had much dialed in, with the extra delay and all. :huh:

With organisers worried about frostbite during Saturday's race, it was delayed by an hour and shortened by 20km. The thin suits and under-layers worn by racers, as well as plasters to cover their faces and ears, offered little protection.

Given the stated age of the OP, the likelihood someone skiing backcountry might be out for longer than expected, and the overarching thread point of dressing to be slightly cold at the start, colder than alpine, I felt it was completely fitting to present the problem.

I don’t have to worry about that part of the body, so I don’t really have a basis for my statement other than no one else seems to have complained.

Eh. There are enough wind briefs and wind panels in womens' lines that I suspect someone has, somewhere. I couldn't begin to remark on the relative acuteness, though.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Or they might be the ones most likely to think they could get away with dressing light and cold. Or no one had much dialed in, with the extra delay and all. :huh:

Kids today:nono:

29437166-1E52-4F5F-8A8F-3CEF4D776D48-770x578.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online