• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me find a good first resort for a never-ever adult friend

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Something they do at Alpine Meadows and I love, is "terrain based learning" or whatever the name. If you take the Subway chair (great for parking) you can see never-evers slowly sliding down on a gentle slope that then goes back up a little, so they don't need to know how to "use the breaks" (which is what freaks you out on day one). The slope stops you!
Subway Chair is one of the best places in the Sierra Nevada for learning on a very gentle slope. It has decent width, and decent length, and most importantly it's way out of the way of the traffic of fast sliders with questionable control.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mendieta, if you and your friend make it to Tahoe, please feel free to look me up. I'd enjoy getting together.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Winter Park for the first time last spring. As I skied through their beginner area I thought I'd never seen better learning terrain.
Hmm, it’s been a while since we were there, so maybe it changed?
When we were there, all the beginner terrain funneled into a long, narrow catwalk back to the base. End of day, that was a nightmare: slow skiers pizza’ing from left to right, fast skiers slaloming between them.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Denver is a longer drive, but does have a good ski bus shuttle option.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Telluride has huge, superb beginner terrain. And the town is way fun.

Its very far and not that convenient to get to but that is exactly why its nice. :roflmao:

The facilities in general are superb. Crowds very low except for major holidays. The town is awesome.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another thing to consider is the personal touch.
If a never ever skier is going to try skiing, going to a place where a long shuttle or impersonal situation can be off-putting.

Is there a scenario where this person can be introduced to someone who can help her(or him) glide smoothly into the sport?

Our goal is to set a beginner up for success.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Subway Chair is one of the best places in the Sierra Nevada for learning on a very gentle slope. It has decent width, and decent length, and most importantly it's way out of the way of the traffic of fast sliders with questionable control.
It's perfect for teaching young kids. Oh, and that no-pass-required thing is an awfully nice nice way to introduce people to the sport. Plus the cafe down there (Mogrog) has the best food on the mountain at reasonable prices. An adult on their first day would probably want to spring for a pass so they can expand to other lifts and not deal with pushing through the flats each time.

Subway is where I taught both of my boys. They now know every inch of the terrain there and have been passholders ever since.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Another thing to consider is the personal touch.
If a never ever skier is going to try skiing, going to a place where a long shuttle or impersonal situation can be off-putting.

Is there a scenario where this person can be introduced to someone who can help her(or him) glide smoothly into the sport?

Our goal is to set a beginner up for success.

Agreed 100%. So, her best bet is to ski with me her first week, and given the fact that she loves Tahoe, it seems like a no brainer. She doesn't have any skiing friends and her better half is not a sports guy (still hope he can go on the trip and have fun in town). The Alpine program is perfect: equipment, training, all in one place. I would join her day one to smooth things out, and I am thinking day 4, maybe we get her flexible boots, fitted properly, assuming she is already hooked, so she would only rent skis. For obvious reasons.

I think we have a plan!
:yahoo:

I'll see her next week and chat about it.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
An adult on their first day would probably want to spring for a pass so they can expand to other lifts and not deal with pushing through the flats each time.

Yes, and much better, still, take the three day never-ever lesson set (which is what my friend would do). Frankly, for beginners, it's hard to beat the upper mountain on the Palisades side. Lots of gentle terrain off of Big Blue, Bailey's, Mountain Meadow ... - I would probably take her there, also for some variety, since she will have had three days already on the Alpine side, where I wouldn't recommend her anything other than Meadow, TLC and Yellow chairs in that progression.

Ok, now I can't wait. When is the season starting, again?
:roflmao:

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well… We’re talking about never evers here. Speaking as a former Deer Valley instructor, they aren’t taken to the places you mention. As far as the ski school is concerned those are advanced beginner runs.
But are you taking never evers down Ontario?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, and much better, still, take the three day never-ever lesson set (which is what my friend would do). Frankly, for beginners, it's hard to beat the upper mountain on the Palisades side. Lots of gentle terrain off of Big Blue, Bailey's, Mountain Meadow ... - I would probably take her there, also for some variety, since she will have had three days already on the Alpine side, where I wouldn't recommend her anything other than Meadow, TLC and Yellow chairs in that progression.

Ok, now I can't wait. When is the season starting, again?
:roflmao:
Agreed, if you can go up there with her, it will increase the fun and comfort factor for her. And be cool for you to see the progress at the end of the 3 days!

And gosh, it’s pretty up there; just an incredible environment.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If she flies into Reno, anytime after Jan 2, we’d be happy to pick her up and drive her up to Tahoe the next day. She is welcome to our guest room on the way in and out. We can pick her up to bring her back to Reno to fly out. It’s easy for us as we’ll just ski Palisades those days. That way she can book on slope accommodations and not deal with a car.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Late to this thread but keep in mind there is a big difference between a first timer & a beginner. There is also a difference between a couch potato & someone like your friend who has experience on skates & other motion activities.

Flat/low angle falline terrain is paramount for the first-timers success but beyond that some variety of easy green runs that aren’t crowded with yahoos & allow you to get out of the base area make the next steps magical & interesting.
This Is what I would be looking for if I was introducing a friend to skiing & It’s also something you might have some control over.

Most resorts will have some kind of introduction program & some good instructors but the perfect match can be the luck of the draw unless you were doing private lessons & could interview instructors ahead of time.
BTW, unless there are extenuating circumstances, group lessons are often just fine for first timers. Having some peers around can take some pressure off, learn from our mistakes & share successes.

I have often glanced over at the beginner terrain off the top of the tram at Palisades & thought “what a cool place to learn”. It seems so private from the rest of the mountain yet you get the experience of being up in the mountains & not relegated to the base area as many beginner areas are or mixed in with a bunch of advanced skiers zooming by. I am not sure if there is terrain for first timers up there but I would guess they are there by the 2nd day. I am not familiar enough to comment further but the perfect progression program that @Tricia mentions sounds great!

Subway at Alpine is pretty cool too but a bit of a sidehill IIRC & maybe a bit too much pitch for a true first timer although machine molded terrain (TBL) can sometimes solve that. The drawback I see there is it is only one lift & then you are mixed in with the general population on Weasel & even that doesn’t offer much variety.

Chair 9 at Kirkwood is spectacular beginner terrain & separate from the masses with chair 7 right next to it as she advances. The 2 lifts even have their own base area.

Sierra-at-Tahoe has good first timer terrain & then the 2 mile long Sugar & Spice run from the top of the mountain often by the 2nd day but I don’t know if I’d want to do it as a beginner on a busy Saturday.

Heavenly has a beginner area at the top of their gondola.

l think it was Steamboat that was putting a lot of resources into contouring a new beginner area this year.

Seems to me Jackson Hole had some Snowsports School Only terrain that looked really fun.

Sun Valley has Dollar Mountain.

Aspen has Buttermilk.

Powder Mountain has some amazing beginner & low intermediate terrain but not very good options for the first time. Snowbasin has a series of magic carpets & a great first timer lift/terrain but not very much for advancing beginners or low intermediates.

Then there are often advantages to the small unknown and under the radar areas. How about a place like Diamond Peak/Ski Incline? Or even Sky Tavern or Mount Rose?

Just some thoughts from someone who has taught a shitload bunch of first timers!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have often glanced over at the beginner terrain off the top of the tram at Palisades & thought “what a cool place to learn”. It seems so private from the rest of the mountain yet you get the experience of being up in the mountains & not relegated to the base area as many beginner areas are or mixed in with a bunch of advanced skiers zooming by. I am not sure if there is terrain for first timers up there but I would guess they are there by the 2nd day. I am not familiar enough to comment further but the perfect progression program that @Tricia mentions sounds great!
I believe they start this three day lesson at Alpine so they'd probably be starting over by Subway...I think.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I believe they start this three day lesson at Alpine so they'd probably be starting over by Subway...I think.

Yes, there is a magic carpet that you can walk to, from the lodge. I am sure that's the plan. The magic carpet takes you to a VERY gentle slope with a reverse slope at the end to slow you down if you still don't know how to stop.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Perfect especially if they go to the tram when they graduate or she could get there once she gets the pass. Either way that seems like a good scenario & @Mendieta can be around for moral support.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....The magic carpet takes you to a VERY gentle slope with a reverse slope at the end to slow you down if you still don't know how to stop.
A magic carpet saves the beginner from excess fatigue during that first lesson. Sidestepping up is the alternative, but doing that can be brutal for non-athletic beginners.

The upslope at the end of the first straight run which stops a skier who can't stop otherwise saves that beginner from experiencing panic. When the beginner terrain is not optimal, panic can happen during the first 20 minutes of that lesson. Panic seriously limits the learner's ability to try new things, and everything is new in that lesson.

Fatigue and panic work against learning. Any beginner area that has a magic carpet and an upslope is very good for all beginners. Those two features are super important for unathletic beginners.

For athletic beginners such as the @Mendieta's friend the variety of terrain available once the skier learns to turn both ways and stop may be more important. For assertive athletic beginners and those who have some experience sliding on a surfboard, a skateboard, or on skates, what's more important is friendly terrain that bridges the challenge gap between the never-ever area and blue groomers. Those learners may want to get onto the mountain's blues on day two and will benefit from terrain that helps them get there without having to negotiate big leaps in challenge.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online