• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me find a good first resort for a never-ever adult friend

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe not the cheapest to get to but Grand Targhee has probably the nicest beginner area I've seen at any ski resort. We didn't use the ski school but my wife did pretty well there last year. I also seem to recall her doing well at Alta but that was way back in 2010. The flights might be surprisingly similar to SLC though. From any of the airports in the region I can fly to Jackson Hole for a few buck more than SLC and I can fly to Bozeman cheaper than I can Denver.

James

Out There
Instructor
Fly to Aspen. If it’s not diverted. Buttermilk.
Fly to Steamboat.
Likely have to change planes for both in Denver.
Fly to SLC - surely there’s somewhere.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pallisades Tahoe has an incredible program called the Perfect Progression Program.

They sign you up for lessons, and after you complete the program you get a season pass.
And the big added advantage: PT ( aka Squaw, Olympic Valley) has acres of never ever beginner terrain on the top. Very few places get never ever or real beginner riders to the actual top of the mountain and have epic views of The Lake ( Tahoe) and vistas of the high Sierra.

Sinecure

Everyone's fav Jewish Santa
Instructor
The beauty of the Perfect Progression Program at Palley Valley is that, she'll have a season pass when she completes the program, which (I believe) is 3 lessons. That is an incredible value

Edit:
This from the website:
The Perfect Progression Program is designed for first time skiers ages 13 and up. Participants receive a package including 3 Half Day Beginner Ski Lessons with lift tickets and rentals, 3 lunch vouchers, an accessories package of goggles, and a one-time retail discount to Estelle sports. This package is only valid at the Alpine Lodge location. Upon completion of 3 beginner lessons, participants are eligible for a complimentary Palisades Tahoe season pass, complimentary rentals, half price group lessons for the rest of the season or 30% the Alpine Unlimited lessons. Benefits are not transferable. Previous Pass holders or Pack purchasers are not eligible for this program.
This...

Do the lessons during weekdays and the group will be small. If she progresses quickly, she'll get into even smaller lessons. Just to be clear - the program is designed for the "never ever" student who has never skied. It is totally the drug dealer approach - get them hooked, and they'll keep coming back. And the bonus of free rentals for the rest of the season, plus a free pass (Palisades only, not an IKON pass) is awesome. And yes, it is three lessons. But if she likes lessons, she gets them half off the rest of the season (or she can buy the Alpine Unlimited thing for around $1K instead of the usual $1500). Alpine Unlimited is unlimited half-day group lessons - yes, you could take 100 lessons if you skied 100 days and yes, it includes line cutting privileges.

Sinecure

Everyone's fav Jewish Santa
Instructor
And the big added advantage: PT ( aka Squaw, Olympic Valley) has acres of never ever beginner terrain on the top. Very few places get never ever or real beginner riders to the actual top of the mountain and have epic views of The Lake ( Tahoe) and vistas of the high Sierra.
While that's true, just an FYI that the PPP program that Tricia is talking about only happens on the Alpine side. So she'll learn on Subway and Meadow.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
While that's true, just an FYI that the PPP program that Tricia is talking about only happens on the Alpine side. So she'll learn on Subway and Meadow.
True; what i was suggesting was do the “ learning” in New England and then go to PT And depending on her level at that point Alpine is certainly a consideration ( Weasel … wahoo) but nothing that lets her ski off the top unless she joins the kamikaze crazies straightlining Alpine Bowl on a wing and a prayer and no ability otherwise. :)

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
True; what i was suggesting was do the “ learning” in New England and then go to PT And depending on her level at that point Alpine is certainly a consideration ( Weasel … wahoo) but nothing that lets her ski off the top unless she joins the kamikaze crazies straightlining Alpine Bowl on a wing and a prayer and no ability otherwise. :)
Also, as Tritia noted ; Alpine has great season long program for new riders , but didn’t get ipression they / OP was looking for that. Regardless: Alpine’s program is excellent on a great hill as is , btw, the Ski school offering at Olympic Valley , ne Squaw. Both ski schools btw are jst separate divisions under the same director and umbrella, though Alpine has its own offerings for beginner programs… and cool instructors like Rainbow Jenny ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
The beauty of the Perfect Progression Program at Palley Valley is that, she'll have a season pass when she completes the program, which (I believe) is 3 lessons. That is an incredible value

Edit:
This from the website:
The Perfect Progression Program is designed for first time skiers ages 13 and up. Participants receive a package including 3 Half Day Beginner Ski Lessons with lift tickets and rentals, 3 lunch vouchers, an accessories package of goggles, and a one-time retail discount to Estelle sports. This package is only valid at the Alpine Lodge location. Upon completion of 3 beginner lessons, participants are eligible for a complimentary Palisades Tahoe season pass, complimentary rentals, half price group lessons for the rest of the season or 30% the Alpine Unlimited lessons. Benefits are not transferable. Previous Pass holders or Pack purchasers are not eligible for this program.
That’s an insanely good deal.
Our work is done here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s an insanely good deal.
Our work is done here.
Coincidently I skied with @Sinecure yesterday at Mt Rose. He's an instructor at Alpine (a few of you hired him during the Tahoe gathering back in 2012 to get line cuts on a powder day)
I talked to him about this program and he said, "This is one that can't be beat"

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowbasin's Learn & Earn has three all-day lessons (as opposed to half-day lessons at Palisades), season rentals, and a season pass upon completion for $799. They also use a terrain-based instruction approach. The beginner terrain at Snowbasin is pretty limited, though, and generally more crowded than would be ideal. Still, for someone who's reasonably athletic and reasonably likely to progress soon to intermediate/advanced terrain, it's a great deal and a great destination. And if she needs more time/variety on beginner terrain, Nordic Valley and Powder Mountain are nearby and both have great, varied green runs.

Telluride's got the best quantity and variety of green runs I've encountered, with the lowest crowds. But it's pricy, and a long drive from the airport, and high-elevation. Powder Mountain, Badger Pass in Yosemite, Brian Head, and 49 Degrees North all also have fantastic varied green terrain with little crowding.

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Snowbasin's Learn & Earn has three all-day lessons (as opposed to half-day lessons at Palisades), season rentals, and a season pass upon completion for $799. They also use a terrain-based instruction approach. The beginner terrain at Snowbasin is pretty limited, though, and generally more crowded than would be ideal. Still, for someone who's reasonably athletic and reasonably likely to progress soon to intermediate/advanced terrain, it's a great deal and a great destination. And if she needs more time/variety on beginner terrain, Nordic Valley and Powder Mountain are nearby and both have great, varied green runs.

Telluride's got the best quantity and variety of green runs I've encountered, with the lowest crowds. But it's pricy, and a long drive from the airport, and high-elevation. Powder Mountain, Badger Pass in Yosemite, Brian Head, and 49 Degrees North all also have fantastic varied green terrain with little crowding.
It is good for non experts, I take it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Is this also for never ever skiers?
I really like programs like this.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Is this also for never ever skiers?
I really like programs like this.
I will take some credit along with the former Snowsports manager for pioneering this program. When we started it 10ish years ago it was 5 lessons & you received a season pass for the remainder of the season upon completion. It was such a good deal that we had snowboarders learning to ski & skiers learning to snowboard.
It has morphed into something a little different now but still a great program. I would have brought it up earlier in the thread but it is usually sold out by this time.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah the Snowbasin program is also for never-evers (or never-ever on that particular conveyance, at least). Good work, @4ster it's a great program, and I think you should take some credit for Alterra's version at Palisades, too, since they so clearly copied Snowbasin ;)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Yeah the Snowbasin program is also for never-evers (or never-ever on that particular conveyance, at least). Good work, @4ster it's a great program, and I think you should take some credit for Alterra's version at Palisades, too, since they so clearly copied Snowbasin ;)
It takes a lot of buy in from many departments to make a program like this fly, the more the better! If we’re going to allow overcrowding on the slopes at least let’s have the opportunity to teach them how to do it safely & in control.
I truly believe that skill acquisition & education is the #1 way to make snowsports safer.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@socalgal 's recommendation is one that I would endorse. I will say this about Taos from a beginner standpoint: Their beginner slope is nice. Then it is a big jump to on mtn. That bit of transitional terrain is missing. You can transition from beginner, to on mtn with a strong lead.

My recommendations, with the best at the bottom.:
- Angel Fire. Close to Taos. Great ski school. The director is button down, their training program is great. Terrain is amazing for a beginner. Once they master the designated beginner area, there is a 3 mile top to bottom run. Note that most lodging has not been updated since the 80's. Dining options are limited.

- Telluride: Amazing ski school. Amazing trainers. GREAT beginner terrain. Once on the mtn, there are several long, top to bottom runs that are segregated from the main flow of traffic. Great lodging. Check out Inn at Lost Creek. Great dining. You can also stay in town and catch a free gondola up to the base area every day. Fly into Montrose, CO.

- Snowmass or Buttermilk - both Aspen: Best ski school, without a doubt. You can stay in town and catch shuttles, or stay at Snowmass. Buttermilk has a cool, old school vibe. It is, essentially, a designated beginners mtn. Great terrain. Of course, lodging and dining options are unlimited. One of my proteges is teaching there this winter.

DM me if you go to any of them. I am often around one of them.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks so much, @socalgal , @VickieH and @Tricia ! I think Loveland and Palisades are probably better options for her at this point, the ski week seems to be aimed at people with some level of experience ... and yes, she doesn't have a season pass, and it's also true that at this point she doesn't need a multi-resort pass. She's actually better off sticking to a place and developing in gentle groomers.

Excited for her! :yahoo:

Any other recommendations to add to the list? Thanks all!

I wouldn't go Loveland. No lodging there. You have to drive every day. They have to manage and shlep their gear. That can be a hassle for a first timer. Also, altitude is the real deal there.