• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me find a gravel bike for Bonnie

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
She would buy the 49cm Hakka. If we could get one. It doesn't look that way. At least it's one more data point of what does fit.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Take a look at the Trek Domane. The 50cm one has the same reach as the Ibis Hakka (2mm shorter) and an even higher stack (20mm longer head tube). The Domane can take 38-40mm tires (same as the Hakka), which is plenty for most gravel. And of course, it does pretty well on the road. It would be a pretty comfortable ride for something like Ragbrai.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
49x51

IMG_20211107_122530.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So, I looked into availability of some bikes today. It looks really bad, most of the ones we are interested in are not available until next fall. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 49cm Crux that should be in sometime in April. If it doesn't work out, well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

scott43

Skier
Yeah I have plans..and then reality hits and I see my current bikes sufficing for a fair long time... It's really about the riding anyway...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah it was already sold. There was a list of people who wanted to ride it for size.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
So, I looked into availability of some bikes today. It looks really bad, most of the ones we are interested in are not available until next fall. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 49cm Crux that should be in sometime in April. If it doesn't work out, well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Good luck Erik - seriously - probably a good move. I am 6 days away from one full year waiting on a Ripmo v2 full carbon. The joy has been all but sucked out of it due to the wait, was supposed to be August on the long side for Fall season here. Nope. It has soured me on Ibis - no way to treat a great WNC local shop - an official dealer at that. They've learned where they sit in the hierarchy and are none too pleased about it either.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of them are already cut on complete bikes. On the Specialized There's no chance to do that at all.
Actually you can adjust the height of the stem on future shock. It is a bit more involved, but not super hard. You can find some demonstrations on YouTube.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The other thing that you can do is use a “riser drop bar” like the Specialized Hover Bar, to get the hands up higher on a smaller frame (with lower stack).

I think their are some other brands doing it too now.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 10 year old daughter (5’4”) rides a 49cm Salsa Journeyman. Short stem for reach, but the stack of the frame is very tall, relatively speaking.

Oops, I see you ordered a Crux already.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online