• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me get out of the back seat: terrain selection

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
N.B. the REAL reason everyone here has a quiver of skis is that at any given time half our skis have tuning issues. ... I've decided he's a good sport and has a sense of the absurd, as skiers must..
he does, but he also is putting together a file for she-who-must-be-obeyed to explain why the right number of skis in the quiver is N+1

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
he does, but he also is putting together a file for she-who-must-be-obeyed to explain why the right number of skis in the quiver is N+1

Get her hooked on skiing and you won't have to explain a thing.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just saw this pic of your grind and now I know why @Yepow found them hard to skiWow, those are bad!

112B2D81-63CF-46D3-81E5-B67FE04DFF39.png

By the looks(and sounds) of it, that’s an incredibly deep/course linear structure with the edges hit hard as @KingGrump mentioned.
A linear structure especially that deep is usually only used on high speed events like DH or SG racing in warmer weather or on XC skis as it’s meant to track straight. Nightmare to skid or turn at lower speeds.
Usually you have a broken linear or “universal” structure creating a pattern on the base that you can see but not feel. Even course Spring structures aren’t usually that deep.

Ski will need about 8-12 total stone passes on a semi auto machine to fix the structure and flatness issue. They will first do passes without structure to flatten the high sections of the base and smooth out the structure and then the final few passes with a new universal structure.

Then by hand, re-set the base/edge bevels with finishing files and diamond stones.

James

Out There
Instructor
Doubt the shop will set the base by hand. Not really preferable if done right.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Even if the shop uses a machine to set the bevels, I quick once over with finishing file and diamond stones by hand to confirm.

Takes minutes to perform and then the customer won’t be back wanting you to “detune the tips and tails” as it’s still catchy because of bevel issues.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
10 pages and alignment still not addressed.
OP needs a heel lift or binding delta changed.
Is that a Hawx Ultra you are skiing?
For me that bootputsme backseat just standing in it. my quads just standing in it.
It feel like a high heel height binding. New version fixed this issue.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
It's a Hawx 120s Prime. Later today I'll do what Greg suggested and hop into the boots and check my lean (get an offspring to take a picture).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
10 pages and alignment still not addressed.
OP needs a heel lift or binding delta changed.
Is that a Hawx Ultra you are skiing?
For me that bootputsme backseat just standing in it. my quads just standing in it.
It feel like a high heel height binding. New version fixed this issue.
See post #14.

Its also possible but unlikely that you share the same lower leg anatomy as the OP. Boot fit/alignment is never a universal experience.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sorry I posted in haste and was unclear.
I was referring to op not addressing it not that it hadn’t been addressed by Markojp.
Totally agree individual, just brought up Hawx Ultra as it may be an overlooked component of fore-aft alignment.
Was a little frustrated as 10 pages of advice may be wasted and op could do all the drills in the world and never get forward if his equipment prevents it.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Sorry I posted in haste and was unclear.
I was referring to op not addressing it not that it hadn’t been addressed by Markojp.
Totally agree individual, just brought up Hawx Ultra as it may be an overlooked component of fore-aft alignment.
Was a little frustrated as 10 pages of advice may be wasted and op could do all the drills in the world and never get forward if his equipment prevents it.
It's probably both :) The drills won't be wasted, but of course it is possible (maybe probable at this point) that my equipment is an issue. One of the issues is trying to take a lot of different perspectives on a lot of different issues (and also, being sadly ignorant in so many areas--but wow, learning a lot) and figure out what to act on first, second, third.

If it's a gear issue, it seems simple to just "go to a reputable bootfitter and get it fixed/buy the right pair of boots." It's good advice, and while $800 for new boots because the old ones are total unsuitable in the worst case makes more sense than spending 20 days on the snow in boots that are unsuitable.... The issue is finding that reputable bootfitter--I'm working with both my local shop, which I eschewed for a much bigger, ski specific store in Calgary for this boot purchase. I think unfortunately the specific fitter I got in Calgary was not in the zone and/or didn't do an amazing job on the initial fit there--beggars can't entirely be choosers, because I only drive through Calgary a few times a year. And, while I have endless enthusiasm, and will seek to fix this (even at the cost of a new pair of boots as necessary), marital harmony and just practicality means that I am not just going to hop on a plane tomorrow and fly to the best store in NA and get it all fixed tomorrow.

I have thought about @markojp 's comment several times re: ankle flexion, and have talked to a physio (have another sport specific physio appt booked today), checked whether I can flex my boots, and it's tough for everyone, you all included, to know whether I have restricted motion or whether that video was not representative or whether I've never learned to ski right or whether the boot is at the wrong angle or the bindings or...

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I, more than anyone else I am sure, would a) like to get the gear sorted perfectly and b) stop sucking quite as much at skiing :)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have thought about @markojp 's comment several times re: ankle flexion, and have talked to a physio (have another sport specific physio appt booked today), checked whether I can flex my boots, and it's tough for everyone, you all included, to know whether I have restricted motion or whether that video was not representative or whether I've never learned to ski right or whether the boot is at the wrong angle or the bindings or.....
Yes. So many variables. It can take years to get the gear or technique or anatomy question sorted out. You are not alone.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's probably both :) The drills won't be wasted, but of course it is possible (maybe probable at this point) that my equipment is an issue. One of the issues is trying to take a lot of different perspectives on a lot of different issues (and also, being sadly ignorant in so many areas--but wow, learning a lot) and figure out what to act on first, second, third.

If it's a gear issue, it seems simple to just "go to a reputable bootfitter and get it fixed/buy the right pair of boots." It's good advice, and while $800 for new boots because the old ones are total unsuitable in the worst case makes more sense than spending 20 days on the snow in boots that are unsuitable.... The issue is finding that reputable bootfitter--I'm working with both my local shop, which I eschewed for a much bigger, ski specific store in Calgary for this boot purchase. I think unfortunately the specific fitter I got in Calgary was not in the zone and/or didn't do an amazing job on the initial fit there--beggars can't entirely be choosers, because I only drive through Calgary a few times a year. And, while I have endless enthusiasm, and will seek to fix this (even at the cost of a new pair of boots as necessary), marital harmony and just practicality means that I am not just going to hop on a plane tomorrow and fly to the best store in NA and get it all fixed tomorrow.

I have thought about @markojp 's comment several times re: ankle flexion, and have talked to a physio (have another sport specific physio appt booked today), checked whether I can flex my boots, and it's tough for everyone, you all included, to know whether I have restricted motion or whether that video was not representative or whether I've never learned to ski right or whether the boot is at the wrong angle or the bindings or...

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I, more than anyone else I am sure, would a) like to get the gear sorted perfectly and b) stop sucking quite as much at skiing :)
If you’re near Calgary, give Lou Rosenfeld a call.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hands can appear to be forward and in a "correct" position and still be in "backseat"
my understanding is that it is important to have a rounded not hollow back in order for femurs to rotate independently of the pelvis.
What worked for me..bringing my shoulders slightly forward which helped round my back. with good hand position, it put me in a centered stance at which point I was able to apply subtle forward, center or aft pressure to the ski depending on part of the turn.
Once I dialed this in starting with correct forward lean (for me) in boots, I was able to make leaps and bounds in my improvement after 40 yrs plus of skiing. I wish you luck and sucess
Agree. Actually if you reach your hands too far forward...your butt will be forced to sink back to offset them and counterbalance. I like to focus on my elbows being just forward and lightly alongside my ribcage with the classic 90 degree elbow angles. That helps me find my "home" position with my upper body. I'll admit that I haven't thought about "rounding" my back as much...exactly how does that help allow the femur to rotate more independently? Curious on that one.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
Agree. Actually if you reach your hands too far forward...your butt will be forced to sink back to offset them and counterbalance. I like to focus on my elbows being just forward and lightly alongside my ribcage with the classic 90 degree elbow angles. That helps me find my "home" position with my upper body. I'll admit that I haven't thought about "rounding" my back as much...exactly how does that help allow the femur to rotate more independently? Curious on that one.
Rounded as opposed to hollow back Ron LeMaster touches on it in Ultimate Skiing
I'll try to remember the source for implications of posture on femur function

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January