• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick a new East Coast Sub 80mm-ish Carver

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You and I are the same size and weight but I am older. I am skiing on the Head i Rally in a 170 it is such a fun ski for a front side carver. I have also skied the Head Titan in a 170 it is a more demanding ski. But since you are younger than I you shouldn't have any trouble skiing that ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Atomic G9 Revo is sublime. So is the Dynastar Course Master GS (with Konect system or with R22 plate). Skied them both last weekend in Sölden. Especially the Dynastar is much more versatile in terms of turns shapes, skidded turns etc. than the design suggests...

Can recommend the aforementioned Fischer RC4 Worldcup CT as well.
Thread drift ... @Cheizz , do you have reviews up for these yet?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the 2018 Head Supershape Magnum, and I've been really pleased with it. I skied it in Michigan, and I love to carve out GS turns rather than feeling like I've got to be back and forth at a slalom cadence, and it's really a good ski for that. Really, any of the Supershape line are. You can ski it like a slalom ski, but it'll let you carve out longer arcs all day if you've got the room to get it up to speed...
You can't post in this thread until you change your username. ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
K2 Disruption MTi (18.1 @ 175) will wake you up. Fischer RC4CT has a shorter radius but can make longer turns. It's a hot rod.

James

Out There
Instructor
Stated another way, SL skis don't have to make SL turns.
Lol, now we’re being told what turn shape to make. We’re really getting to ski caddy level- a ski for every turn shape.

Irony- slalom racing skiers don’t make “slalom turns” all the time. They’re not carving the whole turn unless it’s the early 2000’s where men were on 155ish lengths.
There’s also a reason fis slalom skis don’t have a fat wide tip like Head’s Hammerhead. Locks onto the turn.
It’s as important to get off the edges as on.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Lol, now we’re being told what turn shape to make. We’re really getting to ski caddy level- a ski for every turn shape.

Irony- slalom racing skiers don’t make “slalom turns” all the time. They’re not carving the whole turn unless it’s the early 2000’s where men were on 155ish lengths.
There’s also a reason fis slalom skis don’t have a fat wide tip like Head’s Hammerhead. Locks onto the turn.
It’s as important to get off the edges as on.
The Head Titan that I have skied does have the hammerhead and my i Rally doesn't and I didn't have any issues with the hammerhead I can go back and forth between the two with no problem. As I have said the Titan is a demanding ski but that is about my age and physical condition not anything ski related. When you are skiing you are not supposed to look at the tips of your skis. The shape of the hammerhead might distract you if you tend to look at your ski tips but you should not be doing that anyway.

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
50 yo, 6'0" 185lb advanced skier, need a new ski for local stuff - South East: NC, VA, WV.

Replacing 2014 Volkl RTM 71s that I gave to my brother. I have the new design Enforcer 88s and 104s already in the quiver and do ski the 88s around these parts with not much issue, but do recognize and want a skinnier ski for all the reasons.

Main task will be carving up that SE "packed powder" groomed to perfection (er, death) - frequently icy, multiple freeze/thaw cycles throughout the season primarily manmade, yada yada. So they need to be able to take a beating. I can maintain edges and wax, I haven't done full tuning before (yet).

I am not super crazy about SL turns, more of a GS guy but our runs can be short, so, there's that. I don't MIND making SL turns just not my preference, think longboard cruiser over shortboard tricks. #oldschool

Looking hard at Head Supershapes (Rally? Magnum? Titan, which may not be available anymore?) and Volkl Deacons (72 and 76) because my local shop carries and I like giving them the business. However, the Fischer RC4 The Curv GT and Blossom AM77s are super intriguing, and I feel like I'm overlooking K2, or something else entirely. Blossoms - I dug a bit not even sure how to get those? Online ordering only?

Anyway, appreciate the collective wisdom *cough* :ogbiggrin: of this board so bring it on! Thank you!
"What Phil Said"....Volkl Deacon Master 72 is a really nice ski a little stiffer under foot with the Marker Lifter Plate which is a nice luxury on eastern hard-pack and icy conditions ...if you don't mind the color combo of black and pink. Of Course, any of the Head SuperShapes are good.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
"What Phil Said"....Volkl Deacon Master 72 is a really nice ski a little stiffer under foot with the Marker Lifter Plate which is a nice luxury on eastern hard-pack and icy conditions ...if you don't mind the color combo of black and pink. Of Course, any of the Head SuperShapes are good.
I'm close to down to those two options in fact. My local shop has both. Seems like they are a good bit different, trying to decide if I want the versatility and forgiveness (as it reads here and in other reviews??) of the Head over the almost cheater gs Volkl. I could be off on the read though.

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm close to down to those two options in fact. My local shop has both. Seems like they are a good bit different, trying to decide if I want the versatility and forgiveness (as it reads here and in other reviews??) of the Head over the almost cheater gs Volkl. I could be off on the read though.
Sent you a PM

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was just with my local Volkl rep and we were talking about the Deacon Master 72 and 76 and how accessable the ski was for power and energy. Don't let the Marker Piston scare you off, it does not need a lot of speed to come alive.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I was just with my local Volkl rep and we were talking about the Deacon Master 72 and 76 and how accessable the ski was for power and energy. Don't let the Marker Piston scare you off, it does not need a lot of speed to come alive.
Man, I have some Blossom No1 RC's I'm yet to ski and I'm thinking of these Volkl Deacons and Nordica Spitfires I really want to try. I should really stay away from this site.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
@Philpug appreciate this coming from you good sir, might sway me. Gotta admit I love the pink. Southern Gentlemen have worn it with style for years. I am replacing an RTM 71 after all . . .

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, I have some Blossom No1 RC's I'm yet to ski and I'm thinking of these Volkl Deacons and Nordica Spitfires I really want to try. I should really stay away from this site.
I predict once you ski the No. 1 RC’s you’ll stop feeling like you need to ski anything else. I’m sure other skis are great, awesome, perfectly wonderful in every way; it’s just the No.1 RC is that good.

Sponsor