• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick a new East Coast Sub 80mm-ish Carver

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
50 yo, 6'0" 185lb advanced skier, need a new ski for local stuff - South East: NC, VA, WV.

Replacing 2014 Volkl RTM 71s that I gave to my brother. I have the new design Enforcer 88s and 104s already in the quiver and do ski the 88s around these parts with not much issue, but do recognize and want a skinnier ski for all the reasons.

Main task will be carving up that SE "packed powder" groomed to perfection (er, death) - frequently icy, multiple freeze/thaw cycles throughout the season primarily manmade, yada yada. So they need to be able to take a beating. I can maintain edges and wax, I haven't done full tuning before (yet).

I am not super crazy about SL turns, more of a GS guy but our runs can be short, so, there's that. I don't MIND making SL turns just not my preference, think longboard cruiser over shortboard tricks. #oldschool

Looking hard at Head Supershapes (Rally? Magnum? Titan, which may not be available anymore?) and Volkl Deacons (72 and 76) because my local shop carries and I like giving them the business. However, the Fischer RC4 The Curv GT and Blossom AM77s are super intriguing, and I feel like I'm overlooking K2, or something else entirely. Blossoms - I dug a bit not even sure how to get those? Online ordering only?

Anyway, appreciate the collective wisdom *cough* :ogbiggrin: of this board so bring it on! Thank you!

HateBoilerplate

Booting up
Skier
I've got the 2018 Head Supershape Magnum, and I've been really pleased with it. I skied it in Michigan, and I love to carve out GS turns rather than feeling like I've got to be back and forth at a slalom cadence, and it's really a good ski for that. Really, any of the Supershape line are. You can ski it like a slalom ski, but it'll let you carve out longer arcs all day if you've got the room to get it up to speed...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know what I am going to say, don't you?:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Either that or Fischer RC 4-either CT or the GS version (forgot the name).

If you going to go with Heads, pick one of their WC Rebels ski.

Rossi Hero Master?

P.S. 80 mm carvers is oxymoron. For the described purpose 65-71 mm is where its at.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The new Atomic G9 Revo is sublime. So is the Dynastar Course Master GS (with Konect system or with R22 plate). Skied them both last weekend in Sölden. Especially the Dynastar is much more versatile in terms of turns shapes, skidded turns etc. than the design suggests...

Can recommend the aforementioned Fischer RC4 Worldcup CT as well.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
P.S. 80 mm carvers is oxymoron. For the described purpose 65-71 mm is where its at.
Glad to see other people thinking this. Even as an early intermediate, when I decided I wanted a narrower ski and did some demoing, I didn't feel a great amount of difference between 80mm and my own 88mm skis, but there was a WORLD of difference when I jumped down another 10mm to 70mm underfoot. I love it. I enjoy the narrow skis more and more as my skiing technique improves, too.

So is the Dynastar Course Master GS (with Konect system or with R22 plate).
This is quite a common higher-level instructor ski at my local ski area. Even my examiner for my L1 was on this ski!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to see other people thinking this. Even as an early intermediate, when I decided I wanted a narrower ski and did some demoing, I didn't feel a great amount of difference between 80mm and my own 88mm skis, but there was a WORLD of difference when I jumped down another 10mm to 70mm underfoot. I love it. I enjoy the narrow skis more and more as my skiing technique improves, too.

Thing is, for the purpose OP described, you don't want no Mississippis in the transition. Not half, not fraction, not a trace of a Mississippi.
And yes, there is a world of difference between 78 and 66.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of great suggestions here.

Rather than Blossom AM77, for what you describe you might consider the AM74 or more likely No. 1 RC. I haven't been on the 74 but the No. 1 RC is so smooth and stable, outstanding grip and able to crush the slush.

There are a few places that carry them in stores but none in your area, so if interested contact @Blossom Skis or surf to https://shop.premierskis.com

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, that's the one. Rossi only offers it with the R22 plate. Not that that's a problem, though.

What length did you ski? Care to share more about your experience on them? I am almost ready to order Hero Masters, still cant decide on 179 vs 183 tho.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
What length did you ski? Care to share more about your experience on them? I am almost ready to order Hero Masters, still cant decide on 179 vs 183 tho.
I skied the 179 (for reference, I'm 6' and 195 lbs, advanced skier). They're awesome long to medium turn carvers. Not as punishing as I thought they would be, and very nicely balanced. Could easily do some skidded short turns too, ski school style. Or let me put it this way: my (lack of) ability in the short turn department was limiting the result, the ski wasn't.
They have great edge hold and directness obviously, and very nice smooth power that doesn't kick you in the butt all the time. I skied the one with the Konect system. The R22 plate would add some extra punch I would imagine.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the 179 (for reference, I'm 6' and 195 lbs, advanced skier). They're awesome long to medium turn carvers. Not as punishing as I thought they would be, and very nicely balanced. Could easily do some skidded short turns too, ski school style. Or let me put it this way: my (lack of) ability in the short turn department was limiting the result, the ski wasn't.
They have great edge hold and directness obviously, and very nice smooth power that doesn't kick you in the butt all the time. I skied the one with the Konect system. The R22 plate would add some extra punch I would imagine.

Great, thanks! This only confirms all the good things I have been hearing about the Hero Masters. Will think some more on the length as maybe the 179 would be too much of an overlap with the WRT ST 180, so probably 183. That 21 m radius sounds really intriguing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heard- I saw some mid 70's that might meet my needs too hence the 'sub 80mm' delimiter . . .

Strong interest in that Fischer.

Which one? The RC4 CTs? Very, very, very good ski these.

@James here loves them dearly as far as I remember-especially the colour of the bases and the hole in the tips. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Kidding aside, they are properly good hard snow skis. They carve like a dream, lay real mean trenches, excellent edge grip, lightning fast edge to edge, very uniform flex, surprisingly good in soft-ish afternoon snow (you need to be awake of course). Love mine. And the build quality is top notch.
I only wish I went longer than 175 cm-so I can drive them even FASTAH! :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
"If you build it, they will come."
Give Mike at Premier Skis a holler.
Mike da Blossom Man

IMG_3310.JPG

Attachments

• Catalogo-21-22-Blossom-Ski-web.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 4

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I am not super crazy about SL turns, more of a GS guy but our runs can be short, so, there's that. I don't MIND making SL turns just not my preference, think longboard cruiser over shortboard tricks. #oldschool
My considered opinion is that damn few who are on SL type skis.(70 less waist) make SL turns, even fewer have the technical ability to make linked SL radius turns, me included. They are skied with much larger turning radius. There is a saying "now that you have a SL ski, when are you going to ski it like a SL ski?" Physically, it's very demanding to make SL turns, wider turns. SL types sure are fun on hard snow days.
Given you have a 88 ski, I would not advise thinking 78 ash waist, stick with a solid 70 or less ski. I defer to others for specifics.

Sponsor