• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick a new East Coast Sub 80mm-ish Carver

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of great suggestions here.

Rather than Blossom AM77, for what you describe you might consider the AM74 or more likely No. 1 RC. I haven't been on the 74 but the No. 1 RC is so smooth and stable, outstanding grip and able to crush the slush.

There are a few places that carry them in stores but none in your area, so if interested contact @Blossom Skis or surf to https://shop.premierskis.com
Concur, the am77 is more suited to frontside use in the rockies and ne. It does not excel on the relentless midwinter hard snow they get in the mid atlantic region.

If I were to ski the se again regularly I would bring some race stock sl skis for that purpose.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
HEAD e-Rally. Easy with high performance. GS in nature.
GS in nature? With a 15.3 m radius in the longest length, it's a medium-turn ski at best. Not a bad ski at all, but 'GS in nature' wouldn't be my take on it. Not in terms of radius, nor in terms of character/energy. Again: my experience on them.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK right you are, however they are not a SL type ski at all. Compare the i-rally to the i-Titan and the Titan yields results. As e-rally is no GS ski, i-Titan is no SL, but it cranks turns and likes (needs) an edge. You won't tend to fight with e-rally or need to work the ski as one might with the i-Rally. E-Rally can vary the turn better than the titan.

The old guys I ski with tend to choose the Rally over the Titan. My i-Titan is R- 13.7.

The Rally is a beautiful ski and it rewards good skiing. But it is forgiving, and larger radius turns are fine by them.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
OK right you are, however they are not a SL type ski at all. Compare the i-rally to the i-Titan and the Titan yields results. As e-rally is no GS ski, i-Titan is no SL, but it cranks turns and likes (needs) an edge. You won't tend to fight with e-rally or need to work the ski as one might with the i-Rally. E-Rally can vary the turn better than the titan.

The old guys I ski with tend to choose the Rally over the Titan. My i-Titan is R- 13.7.

The Rally is a beautiful ski and it rewards good skiing. But it is forgiving, and larger radius turns are fine by them.
Sounds like I need to demo the e Rally. Although I love my I Rally.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

I've probably already mentioned it in this thread, but the eRally was the ski surprise of the season. Never bonded with the iRally, enjoyed the iTitan, and the eTitan almost isn't a supershape, but still a nice ski.

Anyhow, skied the eRally on everything from hardback to boot top heavy powder, used them for ed staff tryouts, etc.... just versatile and fun. The new tip shape works great off piste.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Lots of banter in this thread about turn size/shape and the associated ski radius...

Some additional food for thought...

You have to be honest with yourself about how you make a ski turn. If you like to ski with higher edge angles and more offset (i.e. you don't mind your skis getting way out to the side while in a turn), then a tighter sidecut radius ski will be more work (12-14m sidecuts). It's going to want to come around fairly quick when put on edge and you'll probably have more rebound to handle on every turn. If you like to ski with higher edge angles, but don't want all that work, then stay around 16-18m skis.

If you don't really tip the skis over all that much and prefer to ski "over" your skis, then the sidecut is actually less critical and other aspects about the ski might be more important for you (stiffness/flex, etc.). Sure an SL sidecut can make a GS radius type turn, but it's not going to do so as cleanly as a ski with a longer radius. SL sidecut skis (12-14m) become a bit of a liability if you prize stability and smoothness and don't actually like making lots of tight turns.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Lots of banter in this thread about turn size/shape and the associated ski radius...

You have to be honest with yourself about how you make a ski turn. If you like to ski with higher edge angles and more offset (i.e. you don't mind your skis getting way out to the side while in a turn), then a tighter sidecut radius ski will be more work (12-14m sidecuts). It's going to want to come around fairly quick when put on edge and you'll probably have more rebound to handle on every turn. If you like to ski with higher edge angles, but don't want all that work, then stay around 16-18m skis.

If you don't really tip the skis over all that much and prefer to ski "over" your skis, then the sidecut is actually less critical and other aspects about the ski might be more important for you (stiffness/flex, etc.). Sure an SL sidecut can make a GS radius type turn, but it's not going to do so as cleanly as a ski with a longer radius. SL sidecut skis (12-14m) become a bit of a liability if you prize stability and smoothness and don't actually like making lots of tight turns.
Awesome. Just awesome. This should be posted on the wall of every ski shop, and as the opening response to every "what ski should I buy?" forum post.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier

Hugely helpful. Volkl Deacon Master 72 it is then.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome. Just awesome. This should be posted on the wall of every ski shop, and as the opening response to every "what ski should I buy?" forum post.
Except that you can't
be honest with yourself about how you make a ski turn
if you don't actually know how you make a ski turn. That's always the challenge in retail, right?

"I had this awesome wine last night at a restaurant. It was red and it came in a green bottle with a white label."

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Except that you can't

if you don't actually know how you make a ski turn. That's always the challenge in retail, right?

"I had this awesome wine last night at a restaurant. It was red and it came in a green bottle with a white label."

Yeah, there is a distinct limitation to this approach. ;)

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier

Very informative and interesting. Makes sense, but I was ignorant to this.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
OK gang I am 99% through the process here, it's the Volkl Deacon 72 Master. The eRally sounds fantastic, but has a shorter radius and might be a little too 'forgiving' for my quiver. Just don't need that here, if I do, I'll break out the Enforcer 88s.

That leaves me with a sizing dilemma, local shop only has 173, (@SkiEssentials doesn't list it either? Y'all have it?) which might be fine. But I feel like I want a 178. @Philpug your review says your demo ski was 181? That a typo or super duper exclusive Ski-talk only ski? :ogcool:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The iRally was 'forgiving. The eRally is a stronger ski.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a pair east of the Mississippi.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK gang I am 99% through the process here, it's the Volkl Deacon 72 Master. The eRally sounds fantastic, but has a shorter radius and might be a little too 'forgiving' for my quiver. Just don't need that here, if I do, I'll break out the Enforcer 88s.

@Decreed_It you're talking about skis that are similar enough that the kind of "book knowledge" you're chewing on isn't going to help. You either get on the skis and see for yourself or else you just buy one and go with it.

When I try skis I'm routinely surprised by which models I do and don't prefer. Specific skis line up with the reviews - if they do - only in hindsight with a lot of lens switching and re-framing that I never could have done ahead of time. Prediction is a VERY rough science.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

I think that they are designed for East of the Mississippi. I don't know if they belong West of the Mississippi.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
They seem to work out this way as well. ogsmile

I think the OP will enjoy the Volkls. They should work fine for his needs. I also understand the hesitancy on the eRally. I read a couple reviews that made me wonder what the reviewer was even skiing on.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Decreed_It you're talking about skis that are similar enough that the kind of "book knowledge" you're chewing on isn't going to help. You either get on the skis and see for yourself or else you just buy one and go with it.

When I try skis I'm routinely surprised by which models I do and don't prefer. Specific skis line up with the reviews - if they do - only in hindsight with a lot of lens switching and re-framing that I never could have done ahead of time. Prediction is a VERY rough science.
100% I think what skis I want in the quiver are very much geared towards the choices and options I want as a skier. I think this very much goes to alot of very contingent factors including where, when, why, and how I ski. If I had an Alta pass vs a Snowbasin pass or if I skied Monday Tuesday instead of Saturday Sunday in all likelihood I would want different options and choose different skis for the quiver.

This is my interpretation of the @Philpug steadfast rule.

Sponsor

Staff online