• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help with Skis in the 10Something Range

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
firstly, the CT 1/2/3 of 2021 can't be compared to any other year or model faction

3.0 of 2018/2019 etc was a softer friendly ski, 2020 it got a bit more agressive but weak/light core 2021 its got some umph and I have to say the 112mm 3.0 of 2021 will carve better than almost all 100mm! skis! (bold statement) No idea why and how, but it does.

First time out on them it was very firm/hard conditions, not really conditions for a 112... but hey wanted to try them out, and I would not only keep up with my friends carving 80mm's that day, I would not only keep up carving, but pass and pull ahead, while not realeasing edge! they would also not fold out on me (wtf)

I have since skied them in "skied out" conditons with crud, bumps, piles of shit, both in softer fresher snow, old snow and slush. It's my favorite ski to go "candide" on one of our smaller mogul fields and just go fast and jump them.

the 2021 CT 2.0/ 3.0 is not very well liked by the usual faction crowd it seems, but people who like to go fast, carve, just ski everywhere seem to like them, I did mount the 3.0 -1 or -1,5? I have to check my log. 2.0/3.0 of 2021 is not for the parkrats.

I have gotten @GregK to buy both the 3.0 and deacon 84 this season :D and he has gotten me to buy tons of skis...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Am I the only one thinking the Fischer Rangers Series here?

Ranger 102 FR is definitely a great ski that more precise and a better carver than a lot of the skis mentioned here. Lighter and not that damp though and it’s stiffer flex and lower tail splay compared to something like the Enforcer 104 makes it less forgiving in moguls or off piste.
The Candide 2.0 or the 192cm MFree would be a bit more forgiving tip/tail, more damp and easier off piste but are heavier and not as light on their feet like the Ranger 102 FR.

I find the Ranger 102 FR is the perfect ski for the “former racer” that wants a wider ski to carve in soft

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the 102 fr tip/tail is maybe less forgiving offpiste and in tight terrain , but I think needs to be mentioned that on piste and such the 102 fr tails is very friendly! I even had a comments from a beginner friend I put on them, saying so! (must be true)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Below freezing at Tremblant today and going to plus 12C/55F by noon and decided to ski the CT 3.0 today to see how they do even in firm morning conditions. They rip! Slower edge to edge and need a bit of speed to get going but great edge grip and fantastic carvers. Wait till the crud happens after noon. Evil grin......

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Told you. Now can anyone explain why/how a 112 can rip so much on a hard surface? I mean its much better than even quite a lot of 90mm skis, and 100.

I find they need maybe 30-35mph+? or so but when carving, but are anyone going slower than this? even on a blue or green

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Told you. Now can anyone explain why/how a 112 can rip so much on a hard surface? I mean its much better than even quite a lot of 90mm skis, and 100.

I find they need maybe 30-35mph+? or so but when carving, but are anyone going slower than this? even on a blue or green
Maybe Faction states waist widths like volkswagen states omissions :rolleyes:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
its definetly wide! funfact there is the 184cm 102Fr is 102mm, and the 191cm 102 Fr is.. 107,5mm!!

TS
robertc3

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
its definetly wide! funfact there is the 184cm 102Fr is 102mm, and the 191cm 102 Fr is.. 107,5mm!!
Thank you all for the great discussion over the weekend. There is so much to consider and so many excellent suggestions I had to start a spreadsheet. I have always written off Faction as too park, but it sounds like their newest CT line puts the lie to that notion.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you all for the great discussion over the weekend. There is so much to consider and so many excellent suggestions I had to start a spreadsheet. I have always written off Faction as too park, but it sounds like their newest CT line puts the lie to that notion.
entire newschoolers forum has written them off as "too stiff"and "too heavy" so yeah ! carving people suddenly love them ;)

but I definetly reccomending mounting them back from suggested, especially if not used to center mounted skis, heck Im used to it, and Im mounting back ;)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The CT 3.0 did very well today as it went from firm first thing to heavy spring crud by 11am. They do need a bit of speed but carve great when they get going regardless of how soft the snow is. Fly over crud and were a blast in the soft bumps. Very easy to pivot on steeps or in bumps with the 184cm. I’m 6’2”/175lbs and they are plenty stable for me.

Actually did a couple of unintentional Candide maneuvers today coming over “been flat all week” rollers that were mini mogul fields at about 45mph and straight lined over them with a few jumps over the larger ones. I calmly carved some turns after going through like I meant to do that......:roflmao:

As @anders_nor mentioned, we are one of the few people that love the new Candides way better on Newschoolers site as they all loved the old, lighter and softer versions. Even places like SkiWest in Calgary who have video reviews of skis they sell were surprised at this years Faction line and they are all older traditional skiers. Candide 2.0 also won “ski of the year” in Curated ski reviews too.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have gotten 5 reallife friends to buy deacon 84 this year :D

hope to make it 6 and flip my pair to a a friend and get the v-werks... :D

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have gotten 5 reallife friends to buy deacon 84 this year :D

I am adding them too. Took me more than a month of consideration and agony as I am ULTRA picky when it comes to gear, but they will be the 80-90mm ski in my quiver. In 177.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The CT 3.0 did very well today as it went from firm first thing to heavy spring crud by 11am. They do need a bit of speed but carve great when they get going regardless of how soft the snow is. Fly over crud and were a blast in the soft bumps. Very easy to pivot on steeps or in bumps with the 184cm. I’m 6’2”/175lbs and they are plenty stable for me.

Actually did a couple of unintentional Candide maneuvers today coming over “been flat all week” rollers that were mini mogul fields at about 45mph and straight lined over them with a few jumps over the larger ones. I calmly carved some turns after going through like I meant to do that......:roflmao:

they do that surprisingly well ( candide style skiiing) I also try to go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee while I do it

I also find it funny we like the same skis eventhough Im so much heavier and only slightly taller :p

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I also find it funny we like the same skis eventhough Im so much heavier and only slightly taller :p

You usually have the next size up on whatever skis we like so it still makes sense. I’m more of a mid 180s cm ski guy and you’re the 190ish cm ski guy!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll give those new Factions a demo when I can: I almost got the 3.0 a year ago. These sound damper, better for me.

There is a long history of some ~112 (and wider) skis that carve really well, and charge on groomer days. One has to tune them like a carver, however, rather than the de-tuning stuff the park folk do. (I'm resisting the urge to list some.) :)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have sharp tip/tail 1/3 on my Candide 2.0 and 1/2 on my 3.0. Just smoothed after the widest taper point like I do with all my skis to prevent top sheet damage.

Try them 3cm back from the Candide line for the “traditional mount” or 1.5cm back like I did for their “progressive mount” for those used to more forward mounts who still drive their skis.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another candidate that hasn't been mentioned yet. Head Kore 105. Punches well above it's weight class. Definitely worth a try.

Sponsor