• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hertel is closing.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Last year the owner mentioned to me that he was retiring soon. This summer the Hertel website said that the company was for sale. I was just emailing the owner, after receiving my most recent order, and he said that he was disposing of everything and just shuting it down. I can't believe someone isn't interested in buying it.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Sad. He's got a solid, recognizable brand (with great Heinz Edelmann-esque graphics). That alone must be worth something to someone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Terry is a good guy. Yes, it's a shame no one picked it up.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You know, the bicycle/ski shop I worked at years ago eventually went for sale. The old owner didn't want to do it anymore, and we were a highly skilled shop. Owner was a machinist, mechanic and welder by trade. But there was not one bit of interest in buying the business. I don't know why, but it seems to be a theme. I think it's a labour of love sometimes and sometimes the right person with the same love just isn't there. I miss those days. Wish I could buy the shop now.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
You know, the bicycle/ski shop I worked at years ago eventually went for sale. The old owner didn't want to do it anymore, and we were a highly skilled shop. Owner was a machinist, mechanic and welder by trade. But there was not one bit of interest in buying the business. I don't know why, but it seems to be a theme. I think it's a labour of love sometimes and sometimes the right person with the same love just isn't there. I miss those days. Wish I could buy the shop now.

Could also be he doesn't want to deal with a transaction. Lawyers, doc review, months of waiting, all for a small biz? Of course it depends on the size of any offers, but anyone who's been through an M&A process, even for a <$1mm biz, knows it can be a real PITA.

TS
David

David

Skier
Could also be he doesn't want to deal with a transaction. Lawyers, doc review, months of waiting, all for a small biz? Of course it depends on the size of any offers, but anyone who's been through an M&A process, even for a <$1mm biz, knows it can be a real PITA.
Well he said he has sold a few other businesses so it sounds like he's no stranger to the process. I'd make an offer if I was 10 years younger!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
The "H" word will be gone! Not the end of the world. Ski on and find another brand.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Sad to hear the brand is gone but happy for Terry.

I have enough FC739, Hotsauce & Spring Solution to cover several more seasons.

I do test different brands of wax periodically, so I'll have a good idea which wax(es) I'll switch to when the time comes.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The website still says the business is for sale. Not too late for someone to step up and buy the company. Terry may be reached at 408-499-0584 if you want to chat in person. Tell 'em Spanky sent ya.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How sad. I am all out of Hot Sauce. Love the stuff... no Brainerd wax.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Yup! what tends to be forgotten is that the transaction costs for a small transaction are not much less than for a large transaction. Sa as a percentage they are much larger. Consider $150-$200k for a $1m deal v. the$150-200k for a $5m deal When i worked in M&A we turned down a few deals because they were simply too small to justify the same effort and costs as a much larger deal where there was a much greater potential upside.

TS
David

David

Skier
How sad. I am all out of Hot Sauce. Love the stuff... no Brainerd wax.
It sounds like they still have enough to get through the season. I just bought a couple years worth today.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sad. I was talking to Donald a couple of months ago. Nice straight forward fellow. If only I could weld. The more I read about cheap carbon frames the more I wonder if 853 isn't a good alternative..

Sponsor

Staff online