• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hertel is closing.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's too bad. That was one of the frames that my LBS carried when I was a kid. Bob Jackson, Jack Taylor, Mercier, Albert Eisentraut. Lots of cool stuff to drool over.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
hertel mailing list email today said 1800 bars of hotsauce left, so the end is set; but not quite down to the end yet.

To be honest, im not suprised; for the last decade or so this brand was on autopilot with basically no business development or marketing.
Maybe wax is a commodity product until you get to competition level, but the other wax companies were creating content and engagement and giving free waxings at demo days, sponsoring learn to wax events, and had tables at ski festivals to promote themselves.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
hertel mailing list email today said 1800 bars of hotsauce left, so the end is set; but not quite down to the end yet.

To be honest, im not suprised; for the last decade or so this brand was on autopilot with basically no business development or marketing.
Maybe wax is a commodity product until you get to competition level, but the other wax companies were creating content and engagement and giving free waxings at demo days, sponsoring learn to wax events, and had tables at ski festivals to promote themselves.

1800 bars left..............that says volumes.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

Keep in mind the owner of Hertel is in his 70s and could or would only do so much as far as investing in the business. I can't blame him from not going all in to try and compete against the large wax brands. The guy is well past retirement age. If someone wants to make a go of it I imagine they could buy Hertel for quite a low amount of money. My guess is the company slips away into the ether but it was a nice run for the gentleman.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Keep in mind the owner of Hertel is in his 70s and could or would only do so much as far as investing in the business. I can't blame him from not going all in to try and compete against the large wax brands. The guy is well past retirement age. If someone wants to make a go of it I imagine they could buy Hertel for quite a low amount of money. My guess is the company slips away into the ether but it was a nice run for the gentleman.
The name is worth a reasonable amount in goodwill and recognition. I sure Terry would have liked to have his legacy continue. If I was starting a wax company now or did recently and didn't any momentum, it would be a good investment.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yea I agree, great point. Making a business mulitgenenerstional is tough step to do, and for a very small business the path often it is to close it up instead or hope for a buyer.
I suppose that fork in the road may needed to be started on 10 years ago then (around when he still had young employees(?) making youtube videos for thr products) . As the years tick off, the opportunity and time/ energy to make big changes just fades away.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The other problem selling a small business...a small buyer wants to pay spread over several years with money from operating the business. If they don't run the business well, or if they're crooks, there's no money to pay, and the seller ends up with maybe some machinery to liquidate, or maybe it's all sold off and the seller ends up with nothing. I've seen it too many times with small businesses I've known. Sometimes it's better to liquidate inventory and equipment.

Last edited:

parkrat

Booting up
Skier
Maybe wax is a commodity product until you get to competition level,

Or maybe wax isn't necessary at all if you're not racing at some level? Next time I buy a pair of skis, I'm going to be tempted to apply the DPS Phantom. If it's as good as advertised, my next pair of skis won't ever need to be waxed.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
All stocked up on Super Hot Sauce, plus a couple of sticks of Spring Solution, which I've never tried before.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got my pound of wax, probably the last from Hertel :( used his wax since the 80’s
1604714825424.jpeg

Jim L

Putting on skis
Skier
I picked up an extra brick of Super Hot Sauce in Nov '21. I've got enough to last the remainder of my lifetime. Been using Hertel wax since we started skiing in the early '90s, even owned a Hertel hot waxer back then. Sad to see them close, hope someone steps up to purchase the company.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I picked up an extra brick of Super Hot Sauce in Nov '21. I've got enough to last the remainder of my lifetime. Been using Hertel wax since we started skiing in the early '90s, even owned a Hertel hot waxer back then. Sad to see them close, hope someone steps up to purchase the company.
He's not closed yet but he's looking for a buyer. He's even still working on some new waxes

Sponsor

Staff online