• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hestra mitten differences?

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want warmth just get a pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mitts. Thank me later.
I agree with this 100%. I have the Hestra Army Leather Extreme Mittens and the Hestra Army Leather Patrol Gauntlet Gloves. For my typical purposes: Mitts < 20F < Gloves.

I have several other pairs of Hestra, and they are all excellent. When it's really cold, however, I take out my BD Mercury Mitts. I find them much warmer. So much, they are overkill for me unless the conditions are brutal.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Has anyone tried Baist Gloves?

They have been popping up in my feed lately and there was an ad on here. They kind of look like a Hestra clone. I have been using Hestra Heli 3 finger gloves for 15+ years. I feel that my most recent pair are not as warm as my originals. The liners seems to pack out quicker. I also bought a pair of FTP 3 finger gloves and they are much warmer than my hestras, but are stiffer and I can't grip my pole as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
Has anyone tried Baist Gloves?

They have been popping up in my feed lately and there was an ad on here. They kind of look like a Hestra clone. I have been using Hestra Heli 3 finger gloves for 15+ years. I feel that my most recent pair are not as warm as my originals. The liners seems to pack out quicker. I also bought a pair of FTP 3 finger gloves and they are much warmer than my hestras, but are stiffer and I can't grip my pole as well.
Someone on here tried them and was not impressed. Maybe look in the cold fingers solution thread.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I changed to Free The Powder, warmer and nicer. The Free The Powder liners even work inside Hestras if needed.

I ordered a pair of Free The Powder gloves. Space in the finger section is too small and my fingers are not that small.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hestra makes Overmitts too. I tried a size 10 for my size 10 Reusch gloves, like 25deg and up gloves, worked with plenty of space. I also tried them on with Hestra vertical cut fall line leather gloves, size 11. Fit well for those too, more snugly, but probably better. Have not actually used skiing yet.
But, it does not seem like you need to size up unless you have really thick gloves or mittens.

Sponsor

Staff online