• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Hexcellent" How cool would it be to restore this....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
ed4a4af2-f379-4e44-a75a-450f739e79cf.jpg

"It's got rep van tires, rep van suspension, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it runs great on leaded gas, is it the new SS SkiTalk or what?"

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

"It's got rep van tires, rep van suspension, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it runs great on leaded gas, is it the new SS SkiTalk or what?"
Yes, but are you on a mission from God?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After my amateur mx days, I used to work races with Bob's Cycle Supply, and we drove slightly newer vans like those full of parts and accessories to the races.

They sucked rocks!

James

Out There
Instructor

Def a v8. It’s a decent form for a delivery truck, nice proportions. Pretty cool the door to cab is full height.
Graphics are cool. It’s a collector thing though. Not sure there’s any advantage to having a Hexcel van, unless you want to make it a party/giveaway event vehicle. Then it’s easy to spot.
Leaded gas is just bad, and is finally gone after Algeria used up the last stockpile this summer. Thank goodness. Nothing romantic about tetraethyl lead additive.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Def a v8. It’s a decent form for a delivery truck, nice proportions. Pretty cool the door to cab is full height.
Graphics are cool. It’s a collector thing though. Not sure there’s any advantage to having a Hexcel van, unless you want to make it a party/giveaway event vehicle. Then it’s easy to spot.

Other than questions about reuse of Hexcel graphics, I am really having trouble seeing how chasing this restoration would be an advantage over wrapping a running step van?

Not a snark - explanations welcome.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than questions about reuse of Hexcel graphics, I am really having trouble seeing how chasing this restoration would be an advantage over wrapping a running step van?

Not a snark - explanations welcome.
Financially, I can't imagine a restoration would be cheaper than finding a used equivalent van. So I agree with you, though I'm not super knowledgeable about restorations.

I suppose for a restoration, some people might be able to do it on the cheap and/or have a cool historical item... or just want the control of doing exactly what they want themselves.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. or just want the control of doing exactly what they want themselves.

I guess this is the frontier I am most interested in insight on - what could you do with this '73 that would be more inspiring than "meh generic step van", that isn't also "completely custom overlander with Hexcel graphics on the side".

Not a Roadkill build and not a Gotham Garage build. What else could one do?

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Is it geared so that a (presumably rebuilt) gas 302 would be funner than a big Cummins diesel?

<- admits to knowing nothing about these trucks.
The 302 Van engine is a dog. Built for fuel economy. Diesel vs Gas is like Apples & Oranges. But a big horse Cummins & 18 spds. :thumb:

James

Out There
Instructor
Financially, I can't imagine a restoration would be cheaper than finding a used equivalent van. So I agree with you, though I'm not super knowledgeable about restorations.

When it comes down to money, it’s always better to spend it on work someone else put in and can’t get out.
For instance, here’s a pickup van the guy who’s selling it and has a body shop put $30k in parts in. He wants $23k for it, maybe you get it for near 20. You’d be way better off with that then spending $12k for a half assed reno. But not everyone has the money upfront, thus we buy junkers, and rue the day.
21B9A580-CDCD-44E5-BFA9-6045F73171EB.jpeg

Assuming it’s legit, that paint job will cost $10k or more. So much work. You could save a boatload on that, doing the majority of prep and leaving the final shaping and spraying for the shop.

Or this Volkswagen, way more expensive at $43k, because it’s a 70’s VW.
D3EBF72A-866F-4E72-A38D-7E042E2C7146.jpeg

Driving any old vehicle like that long distance is another matter, and a trip back in time that given how spoiled we are with modern cars, is pretty brutal. Just going straight is work.

Unless it’s super rare, or you want a project, junkers almost never make financial sense.
Even cars in general, timing is everything. Muscle cars were hot late ‘80’s, then maybe due to wall street crash, they went down. I don’t see that happening now due to it’s really the end of the world for them. More and more they’re purely collector cars, so it doesn’t matter how they drive. The obscure ones may decrease, and the popular go up till it’s too ridiculous, as electric comes in.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
60's VW, unless it's Brazilian made. Last year of the split window type 2 was 1967 for most of the world. Old VW's have always had a cult-like following. I was away from the "cult" for about 30 years, couldn't believe how the prices of the type 2s shot up so much. A 23 window goes for insane money

Sponsor

Staff online