• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some consider the Pivot 15 to be the best high-performance binding ever produced -- a bold statement, for sure. There is a bit of a “You can have my Pivot 15s when you pry them out of my cold dead hands” mentality here. But why? First, all-metal goodness. More than anything, high-performance skiers want durability, and an all-metal housing gives you that. I would bet many skiers have moved their Pivot 15s from one ski to another a dozen times. Next is performance: all-metal bindings bring a level of performance that can actually be felt by most any competent skier. The combination of short mounting distance, low rotation weight, and extreme lateral rigidity enhances the feel of a ski. Finally, Look Pivots give you lift-line cred. Pivots are the Jeep Wrangler of skiing; they might be the only piece of gear that gets you “the nod” from young and old. It is the binding that transcends generations.

Look Bindings Pivot 15 300 dpi.jpg

So what makes the 15 so special? It is the quintessential Pivot, it has the best of everything. Let's start with its musclebound meathead jock big brother, the Pivot 18. Simple observation tells you that it goes to an 18 DIN, but the limiting factor is that it starts at an 8. Even many high-performance skiers just cannot comfortably ski in its DIN range, so they are at the very bottom of the window. Will the Pivot 18 function properly set at an 8 or 9? Absolutely, but like many things, just because it can, doesn't mean you should.
Look_logo.png
Well then, why not the Pivot 12 or 14? These are better than many 12 to 15 DIN bindings out there, but why settle for better when you can have the best? For 2016-17, Look modified the multidirectional toe on the 12 and 14 by adding an adjustable AFD that slides and adjusts in height in order to accommodate both DIN and WTR soles. This “Dual WTR” is different than the solid AFD on the metal toe of the 15 and 18. The change makes the new Pivots more adaptable for different boot soles, but more moving parts can mask the feel of the ski on the snow by creating an every so slight disconnect.

Therefore, since there are skiers who want the best (and are willing to pay for it) but are not heavy enough for the 18, it is the perfect time for Look to reintroduce the 15. It is argued that the 15 could take sales away from other product. You know us here at Pugski; if anything, we try to be fair, look at both sides. So, from the manufacturer's perspective, the most important question is, Will reintroducing the Pivot 15 increase sales or will it just cannibalize sales from the 18 and the 14?

Look recently reintroduced the Pivot 12 to accompany the Pivot 14, and I imagine that by doing so, it increased sales at the cost of a slightly lower profit margin. Could the 15 take sales from the 14 then? Yes, but the 15 would be a higher-priced binding, so you would pick back up the margin lost on the 12. Would it steal from the Pivot 18? Maybe, but in reality, how many Pivot 18s are sold at retail? The Pivot 18 is a pro skier model. Shops that were afraid to carry the 18 will now carry the 15. The main objective to dropping the Rossignol binding name was to increase market share. Wouldn’t selling three Pivot 15s to one Pivot 18 help with that? If Look wants to decrease and streamline inventory, what about dropping the Pivot 14 completely and having the 12, 15, and 18? Any skier who skis the 14 could ski either the 12 or the 15. IMHO, the 14’s position could easily be replaced by the 15, creating a much clearer product mix.

Look Bindings Original Forza 72 dpi.jpg

Old Forza Pivots...

Look Bindings 300 dpi.jpg

...New Forza Collection?

Okay, now that that has been decided, let’s have some fun. Way back when, before the turn of the century, Look offered a Forza line of Pivots. They were fun, vibrant, and skied by the two most recognizable skiers on the planet: Alberto Tomba and Glen Plake. One drank espresso in the start house, and the other was poised to redefine the sport through film. If Look does bring back the 15, start with a special collection: call it the Forza Collection, call it the Heritage Collection, it doesn’t matter what you call it, newschoolers as well as old-timers will flock to it. The Pivot 15 "Forza" would be a catalyst for what Look wants to do, which is to increase market share and binding dominance. Look started this year with the hashtag #itrustlook; we want to add a new one: #bringbackthe15.

Artwork: @Dave Petersen

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well, anyone that knows me KNOWS that I want the Pivot 15 (aka former FKS155) back as my number one option for THE go to binding!
I conservatively have 10+ pairs in use now but would love a set of ALL the Forza colors to carry me through the next few years :D
Going with the 'special edition' to announce the return makes great sense and I can already picture the talk on the chair or lift line about this iconic binding re-release.
Hey, how about some theme poles to show my LOOK Pivot pride???

Great stuff. LOOK, are you listening?

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Oh, and a couple of small but important enhancements. I want, no, I need stainless steel cups in the heel piece for the pole tip so that the binding doesn't look like crap after a couple days use. Why should operating the binding in normal use cause damage?! REALLY :crossfingers:

And having useful steps in brake widths available @ shops would be very user friendly.

Come on LOOK, make my day...

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and a couple of small but important enhancements. I want, no, I need stainless steel cups in the heel piece for the pole tip so that the binding doesn't look like crap after a couple days use. Why should operating the binding in normal use cause damage?! REALLY :crossfingers:

And having useful steps in brake widths available @ shops would be very user friendly.

Come on LOOK, make my day...

I am with you with the stainless steel cup. I always turn my poles over to pop out of my bindings so I don't chew them up.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those wondering about the drift, @Bill Talbot and @Dave Petersen are talking about the metal cup that is in the heel of the new Look SPX heel:

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 6.31.13 PM.png

So you do not mar the binding when getting out.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Tremendous binding. At one point when our daughter was a Rossi athlete we had SO many of them. Should have kept "most", particularly those in the boxes!
I somehow got on my son's gravy train of 916's. He had a three year run when we had boxes of them, and 920's. 15 years ago. Still skiing them.
Wish I had held on to the 155's!!

BRING IT BACK! I'll go all in!

Last edited:

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wonder if the stainless steel cup might encourage kids and a few adults to stop stomping on the heel piece ( I just die a little inside when I see that) with their other ski to get out. Probably not. I have never liked the idea of stabbing the heel piece of any binding I have had..... and the pock marks on the skis when you miss. Many years ago I just started twisting out of the toe to stop marring the heel and still do. I ski at 8 and have never had a pre release and still have no trouble twisting out. Even with a SS cup I would probably still twist out as it seems to really freak out the odd person once in awhile. But by all means, I would love to see a new Forza line.

Two winters use.
DSC03960.JPG

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the heel cup is important, I get out of my bindings three maybe four times a day. @Tricia has soem of the chromed Pivots on her The Ski, part of the deal was that if I was to put them on them, she wouldn't chew them up with a pole that I would have to get her out og the binding...the things we do not to mar a heel.:D

As far as the Pivot 15, I am more excited about the single pivot toe and the solid AFD. I just like the elasticity of a s single pivot design. I also like the large solid AFD, it gives a great interface between the boot and the ski.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I've run Look turntables since N-17. Have around 8 pairs in the quiver.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I posted over on TGR, we seem to be getting the same consensus....#bringbackthe15

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I'd like to see a cross section view of a Pivot 15 or 18.
Externally they bear an amazing resemblance to the Look Nevada toe (I still have some!) I used in late 70's or early 80's.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'd like to see a cross section view of a Pivot 15 or 18.
Externally they bear an amazing resemblance to the Look Nevada toe (I still have some!) I used in late 70's or early 80's.

Yes they are absolutely an evolutionary descendent of the original Nevada/Gran Prix N-17 bindings that first hit the market in the 60's.

Here are just a few of the earlier models;(60's and 70's)

Look N series-metal.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I always lked cutaways.

Sponsor