• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hi from italy

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
hello
i'm an amateur skier, i started when i was a child (long time ago), took many lessons but not with the results i had hoped for.
i average no more than 15-20 days per year and i enjoy each of those but only in recent times i started being interested in the differences between the various models of skis on the market.

i started using the old classic long skiis, then i used some entry level to learn the modern technique. later upgraded to a pair of elan "racecarve" really easy, but somehow i never fully liked them.
many times i have rented skis or borrowed from friends.
i finally tested and fell in love with head GSRD, i left my elan to the skirental and took as exchange both the gsrd 25 meters and a pair of older 27 meters head gsrd.
i definitively improved my skills the 27 meter is still a bit too demanding for my level but i really enjoyed the 25m, infact the blade is thin now and i will probably need a new ski at the end of the season.
will see...

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
i live in lombardy (northen italy), i often have to ski at the nearest resorts due to time constraints. but sometimes i manage to go sestriere or cervinia-breil (love the swiss part but hard to find the time), la thuile and fench side. in recent years i was able to spend a few days in livigno and also on eastern alps near cortina.
when was younger my parents used to rent a house in avoriaz on the french alps for the entire season.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
Interesting. What do you like about it?
it's a very big resort that extends to oulux, claviere etc...
sestrier itself is like the ugliest mountain town i ever saw but quite cheap off-season because most of the tourists are locals, the black runs are not bad at all. also i paid 38 or 40€ for day ticket.
but the infrastructures are old so it's not easy to use much of the resort in a single day.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
but the infrastructures are old so it's not easy to use much of the resort in a single day.
Yeah I heard they close a load of the lifts and runs in the low season, so I presumed they concentrated skiers in less space, so the slopes could still get busy in effect. Is that not the case?
The black runs do look good.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
in my experience one issue is that some runs are exposed south, so do get too much sun during day and snow equipment can't keep up.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
thanks
nearest is at piani di bobbio which is not the most exciting ski resort, but ok during the working week. san domenico instead has some steeper runs but it relies mostly on natural snow. colere is quite good but infrastructures are old and have been waiting for a complete rebuild for a long time, but the snow is usually better than it is in other resorts with similar elevation.
i used to go to foppolo but in recent years there have been problems and many runs remained closed

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Piani di Bobbio is the nearest resort to where I live. Took there my kids for many years, before moving my "home away from home" to Passo Tonale. Nice for a quick morning/afternoon of skiing...the only drawback I ever saw in it, is the wind blowing in the afternoon, exceeding the safety parameters of the cable car and causing its shut down for the day, which in turn meant a long walk down the mountain, in ski boots if one forgot to take appropriate shoes up, to get to the car...Never happened to me, in truth; I always managed, by sheer luck, to miss that topic accurence.
Piani di Bobbio, Artavaggio, San Simone, Foppolo/Carona, Lizzola have been for many years, growing up, the go to places to ski on Sundays as a kid.
Livigno, Bormio, Passo del Tonale, Madesimo, Stankt Moritz (Engadin in general), Valle d'Aosta, other Sunday destinations...
Alto Adige/SudTirol-Trentino (Alta Badia, Plan de Corones/Kronplatz, Val di Fassa) the go to place for week long winter vacations, usually at the cheapest of times (end of January, the coldest time of the season)

Sponsor