• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

High Performance Carving Ski - Looking For Something New - Stockli Laser SC

CChadwick

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone, I'm a 25 year old level 3 ski instructor from Montreal, Canada. I've been skiing on my 2010 Salomon 24 Hours (162cm) for the past 8 years and absolutely love them. I know they are a bit short for my height / weight of 5'11 (180cm) / 170lbs (77kg) though they've been great to me. I love how snappy they are / charged with energy and just bounce perfectly from edge to edge. I ski groomed runs with varying conditions for 95% of my riding. I ski quite aggressively and prefer short to medium slalom type turns.

I've read multiple reviews and threads that were raving about how amazing the Stockli Laser SC's are. I am on the verge of buying them in the 170cm size. However, I have one question I can't seem to find a convincing answer to.

Are the Laser SC's snappy? If they aren't, does anyone have alternative recommendations for me as that's my #1 criteria.

Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The SC is very snappy, more than the 24 Hours from what I remember of them.

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
I ski groomed runs with varying conditions for 95% of my riding. I ski quite aggressively and prefer short to medium slalom type turns.

Given this criteria, the Laser SC is the perfect ski for you.
You can ski them every day, all day. And, yes, they are snappy. Lot of fun!
I also ski them in a shorter length.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I have the 177 SC--it is a nice relaxed ski that is very versatile for the width. It does NOT have as much rebound energy (snap) as other skis I own like the 175 Head e.Race Pro, 172 Stockli WRT, or a 157/165 FIS SL skis. Also consider looking at the Head SuperShape i/e.Speed (not the confusingly similar named "Rebel i/e.Speed") or i/e.Magnum, as they have reasonable rebound energy as well.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I will just put in some other great snappy and energetic options...

Fischer The Curv M/O Plate
Fischer The Curv GT
Fischer RC4 Worldcup CT
Atomic Redster X9 S
Nordica Spitfire 70 RB
Blizzard Thunderbird 15? (haven't skied it yet)

TS
C

CChadwick

Booting up
Skier
I have the 177 SC--it is a nice relaxed ski that is very versatile for the width. It does NOT have as much rebound energy (snap) as other skis I own like the 175 Head e.Race Pro, 172 Stöckli WRT, or a 157/165 FIS SL skis. Also consider looking at the Head SuperShape i/e.Speed (not the confusingly similar named "Rebel i/e.Speed") or i/e.Magnum, as they have reasonable rebound energy as well.
Interesting thanks! I looked into the e-Magnum, looks like a good option as well.

Between the SC and Magnum which do you prefer?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I would read @DocGKR’s post again and seriously consider a Head. Might be a very good value for what you’ll pay.

I ski firm, steep groomers 95% of the time that I am home in the East. My “go to”
skis are the Head i.race Pro in a 170cm, and the i.speed Pro in a 180cm. I also have a 177cm SuperSpeed i.speed which is a surprisingly versatile ski. Not marketed or billed that way. I ski it when the snow is a touch softer, and when skiing with some groups of friends. Dialing it back. All three have a lot of “pop” and rebound. Can be worked into a variety of turn shapes.

Do NOT have the special Stockli smoothness, IMO. Different, that’s all.

My one pair of current Stockli are the smoothest fast skis I have ever skied. But they aren’t available for sale to “us.” Real deal, World Cup SX.

Check out the Heads. I have no real affiliation with Head, but they are easy for me to get on. Worth a look.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
A year ago, I know that Harb sold the e-originals. I am the furthest thing from a fanboy, but I believe that is his favorite to ski and sell. That’s a short radius. I’m pretty big, and have a couple of pairs of real deal WC FIS SL’s. They have collected dust since i acquired my first pair of i.races.

My competitive race career ended at the 1976 US Nationals, but I’m OK with most of my skiing. SL’s want to turn more than I do!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
At 5'11" 170lbs, listen to Muleski and get the Head e.Race Pro in 170--they offer excellent carving performance, outstanding rebound energy, and a very high speed limit for short and med radius on-piste turns--very similar to the Stockli WRT ST (which I also have). If you want a slight step down in performance than go with the Head SuperShape e/i.Speed or e/i.Magnum.

The Head e.Race has a higher performance limit than the Blossom or SC. Better yet, you can purchase two pairs of Heads for the cost of one Stockli....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the E-Race Pro is a stellar ski....

I would not dismiss the Fischer RC4 CT either, of of our testers faves...

TS
C

CChadwick

Booting up
Skier
Not an easy choice! The Head e-Race looks a bit more appropriate than the e-Race Pro for my usage. The conditions deteriorate pretty quickly where I ski for the most part, so I need a ski that will have some level of flex to soak up the chop.

So far it looks like the Laser SC, Head e-race or e-magnum, or the RC4 CT would suit me.

Just curious as to what people mean when they talk about Stockli "smoothness"? Transition smoothness, turn entry / exit?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Smoothness throughout the turn. Initiation, very damp feeling throughout, no hookyness and eases into the next turn. The Head e-Race and the Fischers have that too but are a bit more snappy and energetic, more powerful than the Stöckli Laser SC, I would say.