• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

History of National Gatherings

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure we've discussed this topic before, but I can't find where. I guess what I am asking is how many and where were all the National Gatherings for EpicSki, PugSki and SkiTalk? There's no particular reason I'm asking, just curious to document it for posterity. I'm pretty sure some of the earliest EpicSki Gatherings date back close to year 2000.

The following is what I have with quick access to my personal memory banks, please correct/amend if I have errors/omissions on place or dates. If anyone wants to add some brief comments to the list or link a trip report that would be great.

2023 Utah, late Feb/early Mar: extremely snowy week, venues included Alta/Bird, Snowbasin, Brighton, Sundance and more

2022 Aspen, CO, late Feb/early Mar

2021 unofficial Aspen, CO, late Feb, precautions due to covid made this even more unofficial than normal gatherings :)

2020 Jackson Hole, WY, late Feb/early Mar, got this one successfully completed just a week or so before covid shut the ski world down

2019 Big Sky, MT, late Feb/early Mar, extremely snowy week

2018 Utah, late Feb/early Mar, venues included Snowbasin, Alta/Bird

2017 Whistler/Blackcomb, early Mar, @Lady_Salina had a big hand in making this Canadian gathering a success.

2016 Aspen, CO, late Feb/early Mar

2015 Jackson Hole, WY, late Feb/early Mar

?

2008 Utah, early Feb

FYI, believe the first Mid-Atlantic Gathering under EpicSki/DCSki was late Feb, 2008 at Blue Knob, PA. At least that's the first one I was involved with. Regional Gatherings are a whole other topic.;)

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Others…

2005 - Kicking Horse
2006 - Park City
2007 - Tahoe or Mammoth I believe

2009 - Jackson Hole
2010 - Utah
2011 - Summit County, CO
2012 - Tahoe
2013 - Big Sky
2014 - Utah
2015 - Jackson

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
EDIT

Pretty sure we've discussed this topic before, but I can't find where. I guess what I am asking is how many and where were all the National Gatherings for EpicSki, PugSki and SkiTalk? There's no particular reason I'm asking, just curious to document it for posterity. I'm pretty sure some of the earliest EpicSki Gatherings date back close to year 2000.

The following is what I have with quick access to my personal memory banks, please correct/amend if I have errors/omissions on place or dates. If anyone wants to add some brief comments to the list or link a trip report that would be great.

2023 Utah, late Feb/early Mar: extremely snowy week, venues included Alta/Bird, Snowbasin, Brighton, Sundance and more, dbostedo report: 2023: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/did...y-national-gathering-2023-sponsored-by.30302/

2022 Aspen, CO, late Feb/early Mar, dbostedo report: 2022: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/aspen-gathering-2022-aspen-never-disappoints.26878/

2021 unofficial Aspen, CO, late Feb, precautions due to covid made this even more unofficial than normal gatherings :) dbostedo report: 2021: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/aspen-2021-fun-some-sun-and-whats-to-come.22954/

2020 Jackson Hole, WY, late Feb/early Mar, got this one successfully completed just a week or so before covid shut the ski world down, dbostedo report:
2020: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/a-steep-and-sunny-gathering-jackson-hole-and-targhee-2020.19292/

2019 Big Sky, MT, late Feb/early Mar, extremely snowy week, dbostedo report:
2019: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/big-sky-gathering-big-time-fun.14519/

2018 Utah, late Feb/early Mar, venues included Snowbasin, Alta/Bird, dbostedo report:
2018: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/the-2018-gathering-in-utah-3-resorts-3x-the-fun.9150/

2017 Whistler/Blackcomb, early Mar, @Lady_Salina had a big hand in making this Canadian gathering a success. dbostedo report: 2017: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/the...istler-blackcomb-an-intermediate-report.4449/

2016 Aspen, CO, late Feb/early Mar, dbostedo report: 2016: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/the...-an-intermediate-skiers-first-gathering.1323/

2015 Jackson Hole, WY, late Feb/early Mar

2014 - Utah
2013 - Big Sky

2012 - Tahoe, Pug Wedding!
2011 - Summit County, CO
2010 - Utah
2009 - Jackson Hole
2008 Utah, early Feb
2007 - Tahoe or Mammoth I believe
2006 - Park City
2005 - Kicking Horse

FYI, believe the first Mid-Atlantic Gathering under EpicSki/DCSki was late Feb, 2008 at Blue Knob, PA. At least that's the first one I was involved with. Regional Gatherings are a whole other topic.;)

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll list the ones I attended in the earlier days.

2011 - LGC (Let's go Colorado). Vail, Breck, A-Basin. April.
2012 - Lake Tahoe, Alpine Meadow, Palisade Tahoe (Squaw Valley), North Star, Heavenly.
2014 - Utah, Snow Bird, Alta, Snowbasin. Early Feb. Mammoth & North Lake Tahoe, Late March.
ETA: 2016, Aspen, Early Feb.
2017 - Whistler Blackcomb, Early March.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Gatherings cannot be talked about with our mentioning @Uncle Louie and @SugarCube and with deep sadness,we need to link this here....

James

Out There
Instructor
2003- Utah. At least Alta. Not sure if it was more than aweekend.

That was early Feb. It was right after the first ESA at Brighton which started Sun or Mon the week after MLK. That was supposed to be at Solitude, but the deal was made with the owners son, and when the owner found out, he nixed it. I think that happened maybe 1 month before.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My first was 2006 - with @Phelmut Maybe @cantunamunch attended one earlier than that? Can’t think of anyone else still around who may have attended that long ago.

Dude. That was like 5 pairs of boots (shan't count wives) ago.

'04, '05 I was in Beta Race 11.50s. No, I didn't go to KH - I was there in 2003 and it was a bone yard with stump-core moguls.

In 2006 I only did ETU and LGC (Dolomite RagePros and Ogasakas/Fischer RX8s)

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I'll list the ones I attended in the earlier days.

2011 - LGC (Let's go Colorado). Vail, Breck, A-Basin. April.
Thanks for remembering LGC - Let's Go Colorado, it brought a big smile to my face. The whole idea was to do a gathering at the end of ski season so Colorado ski area folks could join in. Uncle Louie was a major force in making these happen.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first was 2006 - with @Phelmut Maybe @cantunamunch attended one earlier than that? Can’t think of anyone else still around who may have attended that long ago.
My first trip out west and first time skiing off piste was at Park City in 2006. Julie from New Zealand and several others from the UK were there. Mr. Crab lived in PC and was at a few gatherings in Utah. I think i have a list somewhere of all the people I met that year.

I remember talk of the prior year being at Revelstoke or Kicking Horse and nobody could connect because of crappy internet coverage. i thought 2005 was the first Gathering, but maybe they had them before and it was not officially called a Gathering.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the low attended 2005 event nearly ended the Gatherings until someone (spindrift?) had the idea to hold 2006 at a more convenient location to the masses. 2006 also followed an ESA at Snowbird IIRC in an attempt to boost attendance.

I was looking at the Wayback machine earlier today and they were definitely called Gatherings prior to that.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's my list from an old thread. (The referenced "That" being adding names of Gathermeisters... some were supplied later in the thread.)
I'm going to need some help with that...

Past locations, dates, and Gathermeisters

2017 Whistler Blackcomb (Mar 5-11); Lady Salina
2016: Aspen (Feb 3-9) Ajax/Highlands/Snowmass; mdf
2015: Jackson Hole (Feb 26-Mar6) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee; Uncle Louie
2014: Split: Utah (Feb 2-7), Mammoth/Squaw/AlpineMeadows (Mar 24-28); jgiddyup? and Philpug
2013: Montanna (March 25-29, Bridger/Big Sky/Moonlight); ?
2012: Tahoe (Feb 26-Mar 3) AlpineMeadows/MtRose/Northstar/Squaw/Heavenly/Kirkwood; Philpug?
2011: Colorado (April 3-9, Vail/Breck/A-Basin); Uncle Louie?
2010: Utah LCC(Jan 31-Feb 4, Solitude/Snowbird/Alta) ; jgiddyup?
2009: Jackson Hole (Feb 7-11) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee; ?
2008: Utah LCC+ (Feb 1-4) Alta/Solitude/Snowbird/Snowbasin; ?
2007: Tahoe (Mar 24-26) Squaw/AlpineMeadows/Kirkwood; ?
2006: Utah Park City (Feb 4-7) Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley (? - record not clear); ?
2005: Kicking Horse (Mar 3-6) very poorly attended; ?
2004: Jackson Hole (Jan 30-Feb 2) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee; ?
2003: Utah LCC (Jan 30-Feb 3) Alta/Snowbird; ?
2002: Fernie (I think); ?
2001: Tahoe (I think); ?

There are only two immutable rules for voting for the next Gathering.
1) you must be present to vote. No absentee ballots, no proxies.
2) The 3 year rule: We cannot repeat the current or prior year's resort.
It was before my time, but I think the 3 year rule was put in place to break the pattern of Utah every other year.
3) and one close but not-quite immutable rule: if you nominate, you are volunteering to be Gathermeister

Number of days = 7, 7, 9, 6, 5, 7, 7, 5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5

I know Uncle Louie was the Gathermeister several times, but I'm not sure which years. I know jgiddyup was Gathermeister in Utah, and I think I have the right year.

If anybody remembers, or wants to spend some quality time with Google, please fill in the missing question marks.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's my list from an old thread. (The referenced "That" being adding names of Gathermeisters... some were supplied later in the thread.)
The gathermeister for the 2013 gathering in Montana was Nolo, assisted by several local guides including Rio, Little Bear, and a super nice guy at Bridger whose name i now forget. He was on black and green Atomic all mountain skis. Rituals? Shoot.

MarzNC scored us some discount tickets at Bridger and made us all listen to a speech before she handed them out.

There was a kickoff party at Nolo's house.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was responsible for the 2010 Gathering in Utah. After the 2009 Gathering there was discussion online about the following year. Somebody asked if it was decided where it would be and I jokingly replied yes, Utah. Spindrift quoted my post and nobody challenged, probably because most preferred Utah anyway I wasn't even at the 2009 Gathering, never mind at the voting :mask:

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s right, it got to be you had to eliminate Utah from contention.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was responsible for the 2010 Gathering in Utah. After the 2009 Gathering there was discussion online about the following year. Somebody asked if it was decided where it would be and I jokingly replied yes, Utah. Spindrift quoted my post and nobody challenged, probably because most preferred Utah anyway I wasn't even at the 2009 Gathering, never mind at the voting :mask:
There was definitely a vote at the 2009 Gathering in Jackson for 2010. I‘ll test his memory again, but I’m pretty sure @cantunamunch was there. We were in a restaurant - maybe Snake River Brewery - and it was probably the most formal vote ever. I think we wrote our votes on scraps of paper.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online