• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

History of National Gatherings

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There was definitely a vote at the 2009 Gathering in Jackson for 2010. I‘ll test his memory again, but I’m pretty sure @cantunamunch was there. We were in a restaurant - maybe Snake River Brewery - and it was probably the most formal vote ever. I think we wrote our votes on scraps of paper.

OK, well then either the vote was for SLC anyway or nobody remembered what it was. I know for sure the question was asked and my post was quoted as the answer and all this time I felt guilty for nothing :rolleyes:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or you proposed the winner so nobody protested ogsmile

Or they thought you remembered the announced winner?

Last edited:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While I remembered a lot about that vote occurring, I don’t remember who to blame the Iowa vote on. Makes @KevinF ’s traditional Stowe vote seem reasonable.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, believe the first Mid-Atlantic Gathering under EpicSki/DCSki was late Feb, 2008 at Blue Knob, PA. At least that's the first one I was involved with. Regional Gatherings are a whole other topic.;)
I remember attending an epic / dc ski gatherings back as far as 2002 at 7springs. Or maybe that was a regional thing?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, well then either the vote was for SLC anyway or nobody remembered what it was. I know for sure the question was asked and my post was quoted as the answer and all this time I felt guilty for nothing :rolleyes:
Don't feel guilty for choosing UT. ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wayback. Infuriating. Distracting. Funny to see the same people doing the same stuff 14 years ago. Tog (@James ) being tog:

Screenshot_20230412-072533.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2014 - Utah, Snow Bird, Alta, Snowbasin. Early Feb. Mammoth & North Lake Tahoe, Late March.
My last day at the 2014 gathering a group of us, at least, were at Solitude. Friday or Saturday. @JohnL and DeAnn were there, I'm pretty sure, among others. Uncle Louie took us to the black forest trees. Deepest snow I've ever skied. Knee to waist high everywhere. I had to catch a plane that evening, so I left after lunch, which was fine because I literally could not make one more turn.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've only made the 2017 WB gathering. And only because I ran into Lady Salina and DH at Tremblant the spring before. I hosted the Ski Diva's at Tremblant for Diva East in 2019.

I don't know about riff-raff, you're a pretty good bunch to be with.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only made the 2017 WB gathering. And only because I ran into Lady Salina and DH at Tremblant the spring before. I hosted the Ski Diva's at Tremblant for Diva East in 2019.

I don't know about riff-raff, you're a pretty good bunch to be with.
And you were a great guide! One of my fond memories (as I remember it at least) is the intermediate group wanting to find a good steep groomer, and heading for The Saddle, only to find it ungroomed, and ankle deep or more. Fun experience for some of us who'd not gotten off-piste much. I think that was the deepest snow I'd ever skied at that time (along with Blackcomb Glacier that week).

FWIW, The Saddle is now labeled as a black diamond run, though it was blue at the time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's my list from an old thread. (The referenced "That" being adding names of Gathermeisters... some were supplied later in the thread.)
I noticed your list started with Tahoe, which makes sense since @AC_ was in this area at the time.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2019 Big Sky
2022 Aspen
2023 Utah

Next year I'm going to the Taos mini-gathering for the first time so I don't know if I'll be able to also make the 2024 Gathering. I'm usually only able to make one trip out west each year.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was there any caucus for next year?