• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

History of National Gatherings

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was there any caucus for next year?
There has not been, beyond some informal discussions. Staff will be discussing, and perhaps reaching out to some members - the goal is to have an announcement in May so folks can start booking things.

What I can share... I think it's pretty certain to be Ikon based. And somewhere "out west". :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the goal is to have an announcement in May so folks can start booking things.

Why so early? We're skiing well into May. Still booking lodging for this season. Gonna be confusing.

And somewhere "out west"

And I was really hoping to fly back east next season to do some skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Has there ever been a national gathering at an epic resort? Even before epic passes existed? It’s not like we went to Vail.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has there ever been a national gathering at an epic resort? Even before epic passes existed? It’s not like we went to Vail.
Actually we did do Vail. Also the Tahoe trip was at Northstar, Heavenly and Kirkwood for part of it. We were married at Northstar, you were there. We have pictures.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why so early?
As passes and lodging have been getting more expensive or less available later, the trend has been for people to want to book earlier and earlier - me included. The first couple I attended I think I booked in October or even early November. Last couple of years I booked in July/August. Some people will book sooner. Now if you wait that long, you've likely lost out on the best lodging options.

One example... GMD sold out fast once they listed their winter availability, so if you wanted to stay there for this past Gathering, you needed to book really early. And some of us are just impatient MF'ers who like to plan trips and get things booked. :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now if you wait that long, you've likely lost out on the best lodging options.

We have ways. :ogbiggrin:

And some of us are just impatient MF'ers who like to plan trips and get things booked.

Sounds like you guys like the planning and booking lodging more than the skiing.
Instead of thinking about next season. Book something for THIS season. Grab your skis and go skiing somewhere THIS season. THIS ski season ain't over yet.

James

Out There
Instructor
We were married at Northstar, you were there.
Yes, that was great.
However, I can see why Northstar is called the Okemo of Tahoe. I recall being stranded in the pow with Bazzer on the flats. “Got another cigarette? This could take awhile”
It might be a tough sell for all these steep skiers we seem to have.
At least we need the illusion of steep. = Vail according to Summit County people.

Instead of thinking about next season. Book something for THIS season. Grab your skis and go skiing somewhere THIS season. THIS ski season ain't over yet.
Woah now. That’s crazy talk.
2011. Vail, Breck & A-Basin. All epic all the time.
Dude, that’s so 2010. (But not bad!) No one would go for that these days. Maybe a Telluride, Wolf Creek, Crested Butte but those are on the far side of the planet, and would take two years lead time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of us aren't retired and have to consider limited vacation days. :nono: It's very, very sad.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of us aren't retired and have to consider limited vacation days. :nono: It's very, very sad.
Thanks for sticking up for us, db.

Also management that insists on making blanket assumptions about when everyone takes time off.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sticking up for us, db.

Also management that insists on making blanket assumptions about when everyone takes time off.
May? People take summer vacations in May, don't they?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
May? People take summer vacations in May, don't they?
Um. No. July, August, Thanksgiving - New Year, school holidays. That's when people take vacations. Anything else, weirdness.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Um. No. July, August, Thanksgiving - New Year, school holidays. That's when people take vacations. Anything else, weirdness.
I know, just figured an early summer vacation was more saleable than a late winter vacation.

I used to have to try to keep my programs from scheduling big customer meetings in February.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There has not been, beyond some informal discussions. Staff will be discussing, and perhaps reaching out to some members - the goal is to have an announcement in May so folks can start booking things.

What I can share... I think it's pretty certain to be Ikon based. And somewhere "out west". :ogbiggrin:

IN

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

As passes and lodging have been getting more expensive or less available later, the trend has been for people to want to book earlier and earlier - me included. The first couple I attended I think I booked in October or even early November. Last couple of years I booked in July/August. Some people will book sooner. Now if you wait that long, you've likely lost out on the best lodging options.

One example... GMD sold out fast once they listed their winter availability, so if you wanted to stay there for this past Gathering, you needed to book really early. And some of us are just impatient MF'ers who like to plan trips and get things booked. :ogbiggrin:

Set the dates for the Taos Gathering soon, too. Same reasoning.

Sponsor

Staff online