• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hitch Mount 4 bike racks

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I'm in the market for a 2" hitch mount rack for 4 mountain bikes. (non-E) I like the idea of made in the USA, so I've been really looking at the Kuat NV 2.0 and the 1up USA super duty. Just curious if anyone has input on these choices, or another brand? I've looked at the Thule and Yakima offerings, and am not really leaning that way (aside from the USA made desire)
Thanks in advance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Plai has a 1Up, it looks pretty nice, I like that you can build the rack for the amount of bikes you need, 1 though 4. We have a Yakima HoldUp2 that can be converted to a 4 pretty easily, and htat has worked well, other than having to modify it to work with 29x2.5 tires. Mod HERE.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug beat me to it. Yes, have the 1up. A double, plus two add-ons. When configured for all four bikes, reaching the release can be a literal stretch. [I'm height challenged.]

When I got it three years ago, maybe 10% of the vehicles parked at popular trailheads had them. It's closer to 30-40%, vying with pickup beds as the most popular method.

If your bikes are lighter weight, the kuat with the built-in accessories would a nice choice. Used a neighbor's recently.
For install ease and load quickness the 1up is still my choice.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We have the Kuat and it’s quite heavy when all 4 rails are installed. I normally run it with just 2 rails. It has worked well and very stable. If I didn’t have the Kuat, I’d have the 1UP.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have the Kuat and it’s quite heavy when all 4 rails are installed. I normally run it with just 2 rails. It has worked well and very stable. If I didn’t have the Kuat, I’d have the 1UP.
Even our HoldUp2 is heavy, I don't think any of the 4 bike racks are light and need that stout when it is not unrealistic that someone could be carrying $30-40K in bikes.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Even our HoldUp2 is heavy, I don't think any of the 4 bike racks are light and need that stout when it is not unrealistic that someone could be carrying $30-40K in bikes.

I agree. Just putting it out there that it’s heavy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree. Just putting it out there that it’s heavy.
I agree, I think people are really surprised how heavy these actaully are...all of them. You just cannot ask "which one is the lightest?" the question is '"which one is less heavy?" LOL.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
@Philpug beat me to it. Yes, have the 1up. A double, plus two add-ons. When configured for all four bikes, reaching the release can be a literal stretch. [I'm height challenged.]

would the reach be mitigated with the EZ pull accessory?

I just don't know how well they work. I thought I was sold on Kuat, but the 1up came along...
I know that these things are heavy. I like to think I'm pretty strong so the tough guy in me is willing to overlook that. Additionally, I'm planning to remove this rack during there when not in use- not drive around with a 4 bike rack folded vertically like many people do. I will just mount it to the garage wall or something similar.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
would the reach be mitigated with the EZ pull accessory?

I just don't know how well they work. I thought I was sold on Kuat, but the 1up came along...
I know that these things are heavy. I like to think I'm pretty strong so the tough guy in me is willing to overlook that. Additionally, I'm planning to remove this rack during there when not in use- not drive around with a 4 bike rack folded vertically like many people do. I will just mount it to the garage wall or something similar.
Yes, looks like the reach would be mitigated by the EZ Pull.

I find the reach is easy with just two or three bike configs. It's just the fourth that's an issue. I'm guessing if you're at least 5'8 and healthy, you won't need the EZ Pull.

I have my rack off the vehicle always, unless needing it for multiple days.
My two add-ons are always together, so I am either a 2x or 4x config. It takes less than 15 mins to haul and install the rack parts. It takes another 5 mins to throw the bikes on, if the bikes are already around the vehicle.

I store on my racks on top of each other on pressure treated posts on the side of the house. Yes, in the elements. To me, they would take up too much space indoors.

Oh yeah, if you may also want to get a rakattach. It's made a difference (for the better).
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody have any thoughts on vertical hitch racks?

Yakima makes one and there are a several out of Utah that look great :

The time it takes to secure four bikes on our Thule Apex Swing is really getting old. It's a lot of work to keep the bikes from banging each other up, so I was thinking of replacing it with a tray rack but they stick out so far with four bikes.

Carrying seven bikes would be fantastic for us heading to the high country: 2 road, 2 BMX, and 3 MTB. Good thing my wife crashed and got all bloody mountain biking on our second date, otherwise we'd need room for another MTB. :ogbiggrin:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Yakima makes one and there are a several out of Utah that look great :

The time it takes to secure four bikes on our Thule Apex Swing is really getting old. It's a lot of work to keep the bikes from banging each other up, so I was thinking of replacing it with a tray rack but they stick out so far with four bikes.

Carrying seven bikes would be fantastic for us heading to the high country: 2 road, 2 BMX, and 3 MTB. Good thing my wife crashed and got all bloody mountain biking on our second date, otherwise we'd need room for another MTB. :ogbiggrin:
@nay is running one. Nay to the Pugski Courtesy Phone.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
North Shore but only for mountain bikes due to the upper fork mount - this is the 6 bike version Vertical is the way to go for over two bikes. I can’t even tell it’s back there.

F866AB57-7B9A-481D-975A-2292D4076C1A.jpeg
83257CA6-4EDC-4ACD-9F4C-8B0673C8E1FC.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm spoiled with in-the-van bike transport, but my friends with vertical racks are nearly evangelical in their praise for them.

If I wanted a hitch rack, I'd go that route, or 1up USA.

For those with weight concerns, Saris has some good options.

IMO, racks are like RVs: there is no "best" -- everything is a tradeoff.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I really like my Hollywood Racks bike rack.
Hollywood Racks is a family owned and operated company based in the USA.
Thanks for the addition to the list. Always good to hear another possibility.
I'm pretty stuck on the made in the USA rack, and unfortunately Hollywood is now made in Taiwan. While there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I'd prefer to buy an American made rack.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
North Shore but only for mountain bikes due to the upper fork mount - this is the 6 bike version Vertical is the way to go for over two bikes. I can’t even tell it’s back there.

@nay does it have any or need any mechanism for stabilizing it inside the 2" receiver? I notice most hitch racks (from Thule to Kuat, etc) have a wedge or ball to tighten it within the vehicle receiver to prevent rocking, bouncing and swaying while driving on the road... I kind of like the idea of it being snug.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay does it have any or need any mechanism for stabilizing it inside the 2" receiver? I notice most hitch racks (from Thule to Kuat, etc) have a wedge or ball to tighten it within the vehicle receiver to prevent rocking, bouncing and swaying while driving on the road... I kind of like the idea of it being snug.

It does have a tensioner mechanism in the hitch. I’d have no problem with 6 bikes back there running up fire roads, etc for shuttle transport - I’ve had 4 on it up in the camping spot in Hartman Rocks in my pic and that access road is rough.

The vertical setup weight distribution is just superior - they aren’t “bouncy” at all and the bikes don’t move side to side like a tray rack.

That 6 bike North Shore only weighs 67 lbs. I would do vertical for anything over 2 bikes. But...you need the right rig or there is more rack than car....

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
It does have a tensioner mechanism in the hitch. I’d have no problem with 6 bikes back there running up fire roads, etc for shuttle transport -
The vertical setup weight distribution is just superior - they aren’t “bouncy” at all and the bikes don’t move side to side like a tray rack.
That 6 bike North Shore only weighs 67 lbs. I would do vertical for anything over 2 bikes. But...you need the right rig or there is more rack than car....

Thanks for the info. I need it for 4 bikes. Would be hanging off of my Landrover LR4, so it should be plenty of vehicle for any of the discussed scenarios.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the fact the brake lights are much more visible with the vertical racks.

Are there any issues, rusting or otherwise, with leaving a hitch rack attached to a vehicle all the time that sits outside? I'm liking the idea (rationalization) of keeping my old truck around with a vertical rack attached for super quick loading/unloading when making trips to local trailheads. Looks like that's what @nay is doing and I'm jealous!