• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hitch Mount 4 bike racks

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Does anybody know what the differences are in the various OneUp racks?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody know what the differences are in the various OneUp racks?
If you're asking between "Super" and "Heavy", I went "Super". Comparing "doubles"
Super: 46 lb, up to 200 lb, up to 3.1" tires
Heavy: 47 lbs, up to 225 lbs, up to 3.1" tires
Equip-D: up to 5.0" tires [No stated weight, or weight capacity]
Didn't see how another 25# carrying capacity would help me. My heaviest bikes are aluminum MTB around 35# each. The Equip-D didn't exist when I purchased mine.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're asking between "Super" and "Heavy", I went "Super". Comparing "doubles"
Super: 46 lb, up to 200 lb, up to 3.1" tires
Heavy: 47 lbs, up to 225 lbs, up to 3.1" tires
Equip-D: up to 5.0" tires [No stated weight, or weight capacity]
Didn't see how another 25# carrying capacity would help me. My heaviest bikes are aluminum MTB around 35# each. The Equip-D didn't exist when I purchased mine.

From One Up USA: They are the exact same rack other than an added 3/8-in. x 1-in. x 13.5-in. support bar underneath the Super-Duty trays. The Super-Duty tray spots are rated for up to 75 lb. versus the Heavy-Duty tray spots are rated for 50 lb.

Maybe just to account for added e-bike weight?

But what bike weighs 75 pounds?!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But what bike weighs 75 pounds?!

Budget E-fats - pop down to your nearest Rad Power dealer and heft for yourself. Bring a weight belt.

I really don't see us going for the vertical hitch rack thing - so much simpler to just get a kayak trailer, throw the bikes and the cargo box on it, and - oh hey - kayaks can fit underneath!

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a current generation 4Runner with a 3 spot (soon to be 4) 1Up super rack. When purchasing, I recall 1Up telling me the Super racks were aimed at Ebikes with the extra weight.

Rack works great for carrying bikes. It's cumbersome and ugly when it's not carrying bike (as is everything else). I've had it for a full season and its held up great - mostly on in the summer, off in the winter.

I leave mine in the down/flat position. Raising and lowering the tray doesn't seem to be worth the effort and with more than 2 spots (bikes on or off) is best done with 2 people. Access to the rear hatch (or per the above, through the roll down rear window) is a little awkward even without bikes as you have to stand between the tray and the rear bumper. I like the modular nature of the system, I run it in 2 and three bike configurations (I would run it in 1 bike too, but I needed the 2 bike base version to expand to the 4th bike at some point).

In summary, great bike rack. But if you are looking for something that's low impact when not in use or easy to take on and off, this isn't it (that's not meant to be a criticism - just where this option sits on the great at carrying bikes to convenience when not in use spectrum)

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
So an update for me...the North Shore 4 bike came back in stock late last week, and I put my order in. FedEx says it should here tomorrow. Will update with pics, impressions, etc once it's in, and assembled.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
successful build/install today. Thanks to my 8 year old daughter who decided she wanted to build most of it...
IMG_0764.jpg

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
We spent a lot of time researching and where possible testing vertical racks. Ultimately we settled on https://www.velocirax.com/. North Shore was a close second, but we ultimately decided we wanted a tire mount rack rather than a fork mount. We also really liked the functionality of the Velocirax (hydraulic lift ... etc.). Our new rack arrived today so will be sure to share pictures once it is built out and installed.

Sponsor

Staff online