• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hockey Gear

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, it has been a long time since I looked at hockey gear and skates. Walked into the "old shop"( they moved and are now double the size), basically CCM and Bauer and that is it. Was going to look at low-end skates for fun. Might be out of my price range. :) Ski boots are almost cheaper. Now to find some used Grafs that fit and less expensive.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah the days of $150 Bauer 1000s is over. I thought I got a really good deal on my last skates and they were $259, regular $329. I retired my Grafs two years ago. I had to wear them a couple of weeks ago when my new ones blew an eyelet and I have to say the new ones are nicer.

scott43

Skier
I basically got these but with a special edition thicker NHL style tongue and reinforced upper eyelets. They heat molded nicely and actually fit ok now with carbon Superfeet in them. I have wide feet and I'm good with their E width with a typical snug fit.

scott43

Skier
Oh Grafs are harder to find these days. They exited the Canadian market at one point but I can still see some places that have them now. You can get them online but you to know the size. I think Easton and mission no longer do ice skates. I see some folks here using True skates nowadays. Pricey but they love them.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago, a very nice pair of used Grafs hit the Play It Again store. But unfortunatley they where 1 size too big. I thought hard about it. :)

My current pair.
1701269355736.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Ya those blades are getting down there. Any possibility of a blade swap? I found most of our gear at thrift stores but I started looking almost a year before we gave hockey a go. Now the kid's outgrown everything but his latest thrift store skates, which look nice, lots of blade left. Not even broken in yet.. hard to get the laces tight still. He's still a beginner and hasn't gone back to stick and puck in a couple years.. I'm debating what to do with his old gear, probably youth mediumish. Might drop it in the free gear barrel at the rink we got some of it out of.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I did get them before 2000. :) I'm due for some better fitting.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's what the kid has in the closet.

Attachments

• 20231129_195806.jpg
    20231129_195806.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I had the 652 Tacks like those for ten years. Loved them. Then they discontinued them. :(
Ya I've got some older something Tacks in the shed. Only skated them twice since the last time I had them sharpened. I'd steal his if they fit me hahaha. Too big. He'll probably dust them off in a couple years. He's going to be living in OK City after he graduates this spring. Looks like even OKC has youth and adult hockey leagues now so definitely have skating options and probably stick and puck sessions too.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I did a thing. Pretty sure I paid less for these than my Bauer Surpremes in the late 90s. Heat modable and very comfy. We'll see if I can skate still. :)

FT475 $145

1702139231678.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice! I had to go locate my hockey gear... Took me awhile to find where it is buried in the shed. Hasn't been used in at least 3 years but wanted to be sure I had skates somewhere... or I was going to grab something else from a thrift shop and go have then sharpened..

Speaking of sharpening.. I've been out of the game so long I had no idea what they were talking about with all the different blade curve depths/shapes available now. Luckily the learn to play sessions coach does the sharpening and he knew what I'd like already having seen me skate.

What do you guys/gals (SBrown?) go with and why?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you guys/gals (SBrown?) go with and why?
Ahhh, I'm guessing the usual 1/2". I think 3/8" was the usual in early 2000, but it seems 1/2" is now the usual. I had the kids hockey at 1/2" in early 2000 and that was not the norm. I usually got asked if I was sure. :)

1702141926513.png

scott43

Skier
I use 5/8 hollow these days. More glide and at 190lbs plenty of bite for me. I use a fairly flat defence profile but not totally defence. The flat is important for speed. I have no agility so whatever on that count... :ogbiggrin:

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Now to find ice.

Attachments

• 1702508070405.png
    1702508070405.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now to find ice.
I kinda miss the days when I could just walk up the block or drive a couple miles to skate on a frozen pond or free public outdoor rink.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I grew up playing hockey outside or shinny, pom pom, and tag. In middle school years, the ice rink was a few blocks from school, but Phy Ed still did it. Then after school, always went. Then they built a hockey rink at school and I skated there a lot. When I moved in high school, 2 more rinks were made in an industrial park.

In high school, the rink was 3 blocks down. College we drove to a nearby town to play pick-up hockey at 10 pm. Best ice time price we could get as a group. Now I live 1 mile from a river that is still flowing this year. Not cold enough. The public skates at the 3 indoor rinks nearby have very limited public skate times. There is one outside rink that is open for public skates but is super crowded after work.

I hope to get after it soon.

scott43

Skier
I suggest you find a pick up group. A good one is like gold. It's the highlight of my week... Two goals two assists no fights last night! Jackpot!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I suggest you find a pick up group. A good one is like gold. It's the highlight of my week... Two goals two assists no fights last night! Jackpot!
I see one of the rinks does 5a-8am pickup hockey during the week and a little later on Saturday morns.

I need to find out if another rink still does the Friday or Sunday morning pickup, but was run by "father" of hockey in the area.

Sponsor

Staff online