• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoka OneOne

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Barefoot...ouch. Hokas on...ahhh.
Hoka are some good shoes. I still need to go check out the slides.

Mod Edit: Hoka discussion started in another thread and was moved to it's own discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Imagine , thanks to insomnia I wake up every night, walk barefoot around the house in total darkness in a house with a floor disseminated of Lego pieces... :-D
You need these:
Lego slippers.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hoka are some good shoes. I still need to go check out the slides.
I don't like Hoka's, the toe shape doesn't fit my foot and they have unnecessarily high stack heights that not only like to twerk and want to break my ankles, but don't even offer such great cushioning for the ridiculous thickness. There are much better options available and I no longer will waste my time with anything Hoka.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are much better options available and I no longer will waste my time with anything Hoka.
Maybe for you, but they are pretty much the only shoes I will wear now.

Reactions: Ron

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe for you, but they are pretty much the only shoes I will wear now.
I don't know your intended use, if trail running and hiking, try the New Balance Fresh Foam More Trail V1, 10 to 1 you'll never go back to a Hoka. Knowing the ski boots you use (fit) and that you fit Hoka I won't recommend the Altra Olympus 4 but this one is the schizz. IMO and IME for people good with zero drop Olympus 4 beats them all no contest, NB FF More Trail V1 comes close.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't like Hoka's, the toe shape doesn't fit my foot and they have unnecessarily high stack heights that not only like to twerk and want to break my ankles, but don't even offer such great cushioning for the ridiculous thickness. There are much better options available and I no longer will waste my time with anything Hoka.
They're good for me, but then I also like the Altra, and the two are so different from one another that I’m surprised I like them both. Right now I have the Hoka Bondi - surprised you don’t find them cushy enough. I tried the Altra Torin, which was also super cushy, but couldn’t wear it because I didn’t have my orthotics yet and my feet both rolled inwards. Need to try them again now.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They're good for me, but then I also like the Altra, and the two are so different from one another that I’m surprised I like them both. Right now I have the Hoka Bondi - surprised you don’t find them cushy enough. I tried the Altra Torin, which was also super cushy, but couldn’t wear it because I didn’t have my orthotics yet and my feet both rolled inwards. Need to try them again now.
Bondi 6 and 7 are billed as the most cushy Hoka run shoes. I would agree. Only I nearly broke my ankle running in the Hoka Bondi 6, darn surprised it didn't break, and although not a trail shoe, for all of the Bondi 6 (7) cushioning, I have found the NB FF More Trail V1 easily equals and probably surpasses it with less stack height.
That's saying something considering roads are a lot harsher than trails. I'm not a fan of the NB road shoes, their 1080 V10 (11) elfin heel cups are a medieval toucher device to my feet, but again the cushioning vs stack height is superior to anything Hoka makes, IMO.
The Altra Olympus 4.0 have as good if not better cushioning as the Bondi 6 (7), and their zero drop combined with the wide fore foot and independently articulated tread design make them far less prone to the Hoka capsize roll an ankle disasters. Actually not happy with destroying ankles, Hoka now address stair climbers by tripping them up on the descent with their TENNINE "Lift served resort Groomer Downhill Running" shoe collection ... and if you do want to venture off piste they are engineered to catapult you from one rock out cropping to another ... you nay want to wear the avalanche airbag to help out with landings -
Unknown.jpeg

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bondi 6 and 7 are billed as the most cushy Hoka run shoes. I would agree. Only I nearly broke my ankle running in the Hoka Bondi 6, darn surprised it didn't break, and although not a trail shoe, for all of the Bondi 6 (7) cushioning, I have found the NB FF More Trail V1 easily equals and probably surpasses it with less stack height.
That's saying something considering roads are a lot harsher than trails. I'm not a fan of the NB road shoes, their 1080 V10 (11) elfin heel cups are a medieval toucher device to my feet, but again the cushioning vs stack height is superior to anything Hoka makes, IMO.
The Altra Olympus 4.0 have as good if not better cushioning as the Bondi 6 (7), and their zero drop combined with the wide fore foot and independently articulated tread design make them far less prone to the Hoka capsize roll an ankle disasters. Actually not happy with destroying ankles, Hoka now address stair climbers by tripping them up on the descent with their TENNINE "Lift served resort Groomer Downhill Running" shoe collection ... and if you do want to venture off piste they are engineered to catapult you from one rock out cropping to another ... you nay want to wear the avalanche airbag to help out with landings -
View attachment 132565
Those are the goofiest looking shoes, aren’t they? Can't imaging actually wearing them.

I should say, when I’m going on about how much I like these, that I don’t run in them - they’re just my everyday shoes.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hokas were a game changer, along with a strong planter fasciitis stretching routine, for my foot issues and allowed me to continue to consistently run all year long. I also have running specific footbeds. Ha. I guess I got the whole damn taco.

My podiatrist wanted my shoes to have a stiff sole to isolate my foot. Works for me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I am looking into these. What model do you wear and recommend?
The model you need will depend on your foot and stance.
Models that work for me don't necessarily work for Phil.
Both of us love our slides.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a severe pronator and had a bad bout of PF years ago. Rolfing was a tremendous help as was 3x per day specific stretching.

I now wear footfoundation.com footbeds in most of my shoes, including my biking shoes.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I am looking into these. What model do you wear and recommend?
I have a couple of different pairs.
Gaviota 2 for work, a cloud
Slides for after skiing and kick around
Torrent for light hiking
Sandles were bought before I bought the Slides
Toa Mid hiker for little longer hikes.

So many options, so I would have no idea what woudl work for you.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a couple of different pairs.
Gaviota 2 for work, a cloud
Slides for after skiing and kick around
Torrent for light hiking
Sandles were bought before I bought the Slides
Toa Mid hiker for little longer hikes.

So many options, so I would have no idea what woudl work for you.
Understood. Thanks.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 132565
BTW, what do the elfin heels in the NB do to you? i could use less room in the heel.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a New Englander with local NB manufacturing plants AND outlets, I've always been a New Balance guy. Honestly it was as much for economy as for fit and performance, but they do fit me well, especially the now-defunct "SL-1" last.

Now running in a Hoka Speedgoat EVO. I love the foundation. Toe box is ALMOST wide enough. Laces - or something in the upper - needs a little more elasticity. Sole design is kind of stupid, imho. (Logo-shaped lugs are a red flag where form should follow function.) I think what I want is the Speedgoat midsole with the NB 880 upper and the Mafate outsole.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a New Englander with local NB manufacturing plants AND outlets, I've always been a New Balance guy. Honestly it was as much for economy as for fit and performance, but they do fit me well, especially the now-defunct "SL-1" last.

Now running in a Hoka Speedgoat EVO. I love the foundation. Toe box is ALMOST wide enough. Laces - or something in the upper - needs a little more elasticity. Sole design is kind of stupid, imho. (Logo-shaped lugs are a red flag where form should follow function.) I think what I want is the Speedgoat midsole with the NB 880 upper and the Mafate outsole.
See post #5 https://www.rei.com/product/181512/new-balance-fresh-foam-more-trail-v1-trail-running-shoes-mens

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BTW, what do the elfin heels in the NB do to you? i could use less room in the heel.
Pretty much no padding and a very contoured heel cup that feels like its trying to pull the skin from the back of my foot and sets off the 3 year old Achilles insertion tendonitis and mild Haglunds deformity, both of which practically never bother me otherwise and or in other running shoes.
However they work for some people so worth trying a pair for fit.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmm, no padding. I was just hoping elfin meant “too small” for you. the contour could be interesting though, if it matches me. Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online