• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoka OneOne

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmm, no padding. I was just hoping elfin meant “too small” for you. the contour could be interesting though, if it matches me. Thanks.
Its the heel cup "deeply" contoured shape that gets me, how it curves inward at the top where it is in contact with the foot, Elfin Shape refers to the "giant Achilles flair" spoiler like flared out part above that. I cued the video at 4m 32s, look at the way the highly contoured heel cup fits his foot -

...and the V11 which appears to be the same although I didn't try that latest version -

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My Hoka One One quiver:
Gaviota 2 - daily driver
Torrent 2 - light hiking or waking the dog in rough terrain
Kaha mid - waterproof and more serious hiking
Hopara closed toe sandal - for those gentle hikes when a sandal is enough (or for work at the shop when a closed toe is required and you want to wear a sandal) ;)
Recovery Slide - Because they're awesome!
Hoka Quiver.JPG

Fortunately I was able to find most of these on closeout sales.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its the heel cup "deeply" contoured shape that gets me, how it curves inward at the top where it is in contact with the foot, Elfin Shape refers to the "giant Achilles flair" spoiler like flared out part above that. I cued the video at 4m 32s, look at the way the highly contoured heel cup fits his foot -

...and the V11 which appears to be the same although I didn't try that latest version -

Interesting, thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Hoka One One" is a Maori phrase which roughly translates to "time to fly."

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Daughter just got home from college...went to Scranton Running Store to get her summer training
shoes and they just put her into these:

DD85E0EC-3F5E-4D78-A437-92C9649D30A1.jpeg
They do fittings at the Scranton Running Store (just like boot fitters...) for the running community here in NEPA. Great store...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My Hoka One One quiver:
Gaviota 2 - daily driver
Torrent 2 - light hiking or waking the dog in rough terrain
Kaha mid - waterproof and more serious hiking
Hopara closed toe sandal - for those gentle hikes when a sandal is enough (or for work at the shop when a closed toe is required and you want to wear a sandal) ;)
Recovery Slide - Because they're awesome!
View attachment 133807

Fortunately I was able to find most of these on closeout sales.
Will the Hopara stay on while swimming or wading in running water?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes and is a little better for water type things than the same style in a Keen.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Daughter just got home from college...went to Scranton Running Store to get her summer training
shoes and they just put her into these:

View attachment 133920
They do fittings at the Scranton Running Store (just like boot fitters...) for the running community here in NEPA. Great store...
The Reno Running company which is where I got three of the 5 Hokas in the picture fit much the same way. They really know their stuff. It was refreshing to shop there with my bootfitting background.

Reactions: BC.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Comparison NB More V3 to Hoka Bondi 7:
"More V3 feels lower to the ground oddly, but it feels a lot more cushioned" ... "Bondi feels a little bit finer but it's just not the same softness and the same cushy sensation that you gonna get in the More V3" ... "Bondi used to be my recovery day shoe, but honestly I think the More V3 is now"

:micdrop:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@neonorchid you keep trying but you're not going to convince me that my Hokas don't deserve my love.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes and is a little better for water type things than the same style in a Keen.
I got a pair. Haven't had them in water yet, but they sure are nice knocking around on a hot day. In particular they're great after a ride, for letting the puppies breathe.

Hoping to get out on the water sometime this week, since the hazy hot and humids have arrived.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@neonorchid you keep trying but you're not going to convince me that my Hokas don't deserve my love.
If the shoe fits, but I mean, you have options ogwink

^Exactly why the NB FFMTv1 work for me and Hoka does not. For the record I've owned Hoka Stintson ATR something or another, Speed Instinct 1 and 2, Bondi 6 and I also tried some iteration of the Mafate (returned within a week) -

"Because I prefer more space in the toes rather than the heel / midfoot, I think the shape of the More Trail’s toe box is what makes it feel so great. The toe box is a little more rounded out and does not taper in as much around the little toes as the Hoka One One Evo Mafate 2. If I had to pick a shoe that feels similar to the More Trail as far as the toe box is concerned, I’d go with the Altra Timp 1.5."

"In comparison to the Hoka Evo Mafate 2, which has a very similar stack height to the More Trail v1, the More Trail v1 felt way more plush and comfortable."

"a comfortable, high-stack trail shoe with minimal heel-to-toe drop. If you enjoy a wide toe box, appreciate a well-defined arch, and want a plush ride that makes runs feel less harsh on your feet and legs,"

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
More to why Hoka (and many other brands), aren't the best choice for me.
Also although this is the Hoka thread, the same applies to Ski Boots, i.e., just because one can cram the foot into a boot two sizes down from a Brannock Device measured size doesn't mean you should...

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If the shoe fits, but I mean, you have options ogwink
You really think I haven't tried and other shoes, or that I haven't enjoyed any other shoes?

What I know is that I have had and enjoyed many other shoes, but when I started wearing Hoka Gaviota 2, my lower back issues went away.
The reason I tried these shoes to begin with is because I had a co-worker at the store who was having knee issues and was finding it difficult to be on her feet all day long, who found relief when she started wearing Hokas (not sure which model).

I agree that footwear, not just ski boots but all footwear, is personal and vital to posture and joint comfort/health.

I'm pretty sure that you don't wear the same ski boots that I do either, but that's why there are different options and why I'm not quite sure why you keep trying to convince people who are happy in Hoka One One that they shouldn't be. No one has told you that YOU need to be in Hokas.
:huh:

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did just buy a pair of New Balance - have had them before and they worked well, then found Hoka (and Altra). My new orthotics don’t fit in either of those as well as the NB, though. Not enough room top to bottom.

When I win the lottery I’m going to have custom made shoes and my feet will never hurt again.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You really think I haven't tried and other shoes, or that I haven't enjoyed any other shoes?

What I know is that I have had and enjoyed many other shoes, but when I started wearing Hoka Gaviota 2, my lower back issues went away.
The reason I tried these shoes to begin with is because I had a co-worker at the store who was having knee issues and was finding it difficult to be on her feet all day long, who found relief when she started wearing Hokas (not sure which model).

I agree that footwear, not just ski boots but all footwear, is personal and vital to posture and joint comfort/health.

I'm pretty sure that you don't wear the same ski boots that I do either, but that's why there are different options and why I'm not quite sure why you keep trying to convince people who are happy in Hoka One One that they shouldn't be. No one has told you that YOU need to be in Hokas.
My apologies, I didn't expect you to take the latest PSA post (regarding toe splay and possible consequences with a lack of), personal. I began the post with "more to why" the Hoka fit doesn't work for me. Great for those Hoka's do work for, my post isn't for them, I'm happy for all of you, enjoy and wear in good health.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My apologies, I didn't expect you to take the latest PSA post (regarding toe splay and possible consequences with a lack of), personal. I began the post with "more to why" the Hoka fit doesn't work for me. Great for those Hoka's do work for, my post isn't for them, I'm happy for all of you, enjoy and wear in good health.

No apologies necessary.
Its not about taking it personally, but I do wonder if there is a misconception that I "drank the kool-aid".

I have tried a bunch of different shoes and footbed combinations over the years to address my lower back issues. Hoka Gavioat 2 has been the closest thing to a "fix" which is why I have become a Hoka fan girl.

I totally get that everyone's feet are differetn, I am a bootfitter after all.

I'm seriously glad that you found a shoe that works for you.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier

Interesting chart. I was in REI and decided to browse these shoes. According to the drawing, I have an Altra foot. I told the sales guy I have a narrow heel. He recommended Oboz instead of Altra. I tried on one of each -- Oboz, Altra, and Hoka. The Hoka (Challenger) was the only one that I even stood up in. The others were off my foot in seconds. One felt narrow across the front. One had a low ceiling over my toes.

My take-away was that these are designed for specific foot types. And that I'd have to set aside a day for a shopping trip to try on lots of models within each brand. Ugh.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier

They are awesome for me. 2 torn disc's 2 slipped with horrible sciatica. I tried goodfeet inserts, tons of other inserts and tons of nb and the like. Tried on a pair of hoka Clifton 7s and the arches were heaven for me. So I bought 2 pairs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting chart. I was in REI and decided to browse these shoes. According to the drawing, I have an Altra foot. I told the sales guy I have a narrow heel. He recommended Oboz instead of Altra. I tried on one of each -- Oboz, Altra, and Hoka. The Hoka (Challenger) was the only one that I even stood up in. The others were off my foot in seconds. One felt narrow across the front. One had a low ceiling over my toes.

My take-away was that these are designed for specific foot types. And that I'd have to set aside a day for a shopping trip to try on lots of models within each brand. Ugh.
If you go to a quality running store and get fitted, much like fitting ski boots, the salesperson will be knowledgeable enough to guide you to the right choice.
And yes, you'll need to plan on 1-1.5 hrs to do it right.

Sponsor

Staff online