• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoka OneOne

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
@SBrown I got myself a pair of the Hoka recovery sandals and took them on a backpacking trip. My ankle tried to twist itself several times while I was walking around camp! But, I didn't do major damage and havent had the issue since. My brain definitely took a bit of time to get used to the platform.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown I got myself a pair of the Hoka recovery sandals and took them on a backpacking trip. My ankle tried to twist itself several times while I was walking around camp! But, I didn't do major damage and havent had the issue since. My brain definitely took a bit of time to get used to the platform.
That’s good to know! I will keep trying

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got myself a pair of the Hoka recovery sandals and took them on a backpacking trip.
My recovery slides and my Gaviotas are my favorite of my shoes. I do like the slides better than the sandals.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
images-4.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only fallen off my recovery slides a couple of times, luckily with no resultant injury! They are comfy but different.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
I had to switch to Hokka's after Altra changed the last in their trail running shoes a couple of years ago. They're the ugliest damned shoes I've ever worn but perform well.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
My recovery slides and my Gaviotas are my favorite of my shoes. I do like the slides better than the sandals.
I got them because they are super light (but they are bulky, so I had to strap them on the outside of my pack), and I wanted a slide so I could wear socks under them around camp. I feel goofy af in them bc they look ridiculous but they are really comfy especially when your legs are sore from hiking all day!

I wear Altras regularly but my achilles can't take the zero drop so I've put a surefoot insole in to add a few mm of drop and that seems to help. The older I get the more my foot flattens and spreads so I need to seek out shoes that fit wide forefeet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting take on how the cushion in running shoes impacts the runner.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just found this brand and am testing out a shoe right now. Topo - anyone have them? The wider toe box of the Altra, with more cushion, too, but not as much as the Hoka Bondi. Not zero drop, but only 5mm. They don’t make me feel like I have gigantic Frankenstein feet, either, lol, even though I’m in the women’s 10.5/men’s 9. And the orthotics seem to fit ok, as well.

They don’t have the right size/color combo in the ladies, so I’m keeping the mens, but there’s a couple of lightly used pairs on eBay that I think I may pick up, too.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just found this brand and am testing out a shoe right now. Topo - anyone have them? The wider toe box of the Altra, with more cushion, too, but not as much as the Hoka Bondi. Not zero drop, but only 5mm. They don’t make me feel like I have gigantic Frankenstein feet, either, lol, even though I’m in the women’s 10.5/men’s 9. And the orthotics seem to fit ok, as well.

They don’t have the right size/color combo in the ladies, so I’m keeping the mens, but there’s a couple of lightly used pairs on eBay that I think I may pick up, too.

Wish I had something helpful to say, only that my friend that I hike with all the time wears Topo trail shoes and loves them!

I have the Bondis for light rambles and don’t care if they look like giant cinderblocks on me.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried Hokas, Altras, and Topos for my wide feet + cushioning. Topo Ultraventures won...although the color schemes have turned me off after my first pair.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have not tried this particular model, but the drop is right around what I like in a running shoe. I have one of their trail runners (the Ultraventure), but I didn’t realize it’s a stability shoe when I ordered, an it just doesn’t feel good to me. I’m actually just about to look at REI to see if I can pick up a different model during the Labor Day sale!

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These are just my walking around shoes, but I was thinking about trying the Trailventure just for my winter walking around shoes. Glad to hear people like them.

Forgot about the REI Labor Day sale! Need to get the one pair returned, buy the eBay cheap pair, and then maybe . . .

As for the Bondi, the orthotics don’t fit as well in them, even at the clodhopper size I need!

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have several pairs of Topo Athletic. I use the Terraventure 3 for hiking, it's a big improvement over the Altra Lone Peak 5s in that usage. @Jenny, try their new recovery shoe (Rekovr 2?) for everyday wear. It's very comfortable.

Backcountry dot com might have them on sale too.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Topos: I have thought to try these but reviews say they run true to size and they start at men's 8. So a non starter for me. Boooo.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anywhere from a 7 to an 8, depending. 8 is generally in brands that are known to run small like New Balance. Like they used to, anyway.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have several pairs of Topo Athletic. I use the Terraventure 3 for hiking, it's a big improvement over the Altra Lone Peak 5s in that usage. @Jenny, try their new recovery shoe (Rekovr 2?) for everyday wear. It's very comfortable.

Backcountry dot com might have them on sale too.
Those look nice!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anywhere from a 7 to an 8, depending. 8 is generally in brands that are known to run small like New Balance. Like they used to, anyway.
Have you ever tried a women’s running shoe? I know a male runner who has to use women’s running shoes sometimes.

Sponsor