• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoods??? Why???

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
All my ski coats from time immemorial have had hoods. I live and ski in the Coastal PNW, and as far as I can remember I've never used one except in the pre-helmet era skiing in the rain. The weather here is regularly wet and/or very snowy and never ever ever ever (think OutKast) put up my jacket hood.

In fact, all the hoods on my ski coats seem good for are catching snow and flapping annoyingly when I go fast.

Started shopping for a new coat today, and it seems as if 99.9% have hoods.

I say FEH!!! Hoods no more.

Please confirm my absolute correctness. You're welcome.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have problems with hoods on outer layers, it is the mid layers where I see not so much their uselessness but their hinderance. I look like a hunchback when they are tucked in.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of the time I don't use hood. There are a few times when when colder temperatures, heavy snow and wind conspire to make me glad I have a hood.

My only gripe is when hoods are not quite big enough or able to adjust enough over my helmet and I feel like it's compressing down on my head or otherwise restricting my head from looking around. When it fits just right I barely notice it's there, and makes a huge difference with wind/snow combined.

So, the OP is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. So sorry.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I seldom use the hood while skiing - it makes it hard for me to see/turn my head and changes the way I ski. I use the hood more when using the jacket around town without a helmet. Sometimes put the hood up for the chairlift ride, but since I have to fiddle with the zipper at the neck, I don't do that often.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My closet accessories baskets have the zip off hood from every jacket I've bought with one. Last jacket I bought with an attached hood is a ancient (but warm) LL Bean that I use for snowblowing and shoveling.

To each his own..............

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought modern jacket hoods are supposed to be large enough to fit over helmets?? That said, I don't use them with a helmet ever. Maybe something with elastic that flexed enough when turning your head so as not to impede your abilbiy to turn your head back and forth while skiing would be nice?

Or, maybe hard sided hoods that replace helmets?? Hey, trying to think out of the box here.. Detachable so if you decided to lose the jacket you can still rock the hood/helmet??

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Hoods on base layers are the bomb love em. Don't need no balaclava then its already there.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hoods on base layers are the bomb love em. Don't need no balaclava then its already there.
Yup, I have an Ibex hoodie that’s almost a mid-weight layer, and it’s perfect for my shaved head under my helmet.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would imagine more people want hoods than don't. That is why they are there. The only place I have ever seen hoods complained about is this forum.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All my ski coats from time immemorial have had hoods. I live and ski in the Coastal PNW, and as far as I can remember I've never used one except in the pre-helmet era skiing in the rain. The weather here is regularly wet and/or very snowy and never ever ever ever (think OutKast) put up my jacket hood.
Well to me that seems less like a problem with hoods and more like a problem with common sense.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used to look for outer layer w/o hood. But I had a shell that came with one. Over time, I began to pull it over my helmet on snowy, sleety, windy days riding the lift. I came to really appreciate the extra protection and have now intentionally bought a shell with a hood. I almost always pull it off at the top and ski without it, but it’s been a godsend for the rides up.
I’m surprised you find hoods useless in the PNW.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I use my hood when it's really cold on the lift, or super-cold and windy in general. And this winter I think I skied a lot one day with the hood up due to driving snow. I don't love it - if affects my vision (and perhaps skiing style) a little - but it was worth it due to the snow.

My boy skies with his hood up more than I do - for warmth.

Last edited:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think I would ever get a jacket without a hood, I use my hood probably 90% of the time. Keeps the warmth in so you don’t need to layer as much. Not to mention I’d hate to get stuck in high winds or squalls without one.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Used to look for outer layer w/o hood. But I had a shell that came with one. Over time, I began to pull it over my helmet on snowy, sleety, windy days riding the lift. I came to really appreciate the extra protection and have now intentionally bought a shell with a hood. I almost always pull it off at the top and ski without it, but it’s been a godsend for the rides up.
I’m surprised you find hoods useless in the PNW.
Exactly what I do.