• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoods??? Why???

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My hood doesn't move with my head - so what?

I believe the next big design iteration for hoodies, and maybe ski jackets in general, is an accordion fabric pattern on the neck.

This will make possible side to side movements that's not possible with the current flat and fixed fabric. I do notice that it's the neck and shoulders that stretch out whenever I have my hood on and try to turn my head side to side. Or to be more precise, the conventional fabric design on the neck and maybe shoulders doesn't allow me to move my head side to side. And so I am with team "hoodie on in the lift, off when doing runs" because of this stretch limitation.

This may be due to the nature of polyfabric currently used in jackets. My ski jacket is 4-way stretch, but it doesn't stretch far enough compared to your regular cotton or merino hoodie.

An accordion pattern neck will increase the range of side to side movement of current Gore and Dermizax and other poly fabrics. It's essential to be able to look sideways as idiot skiers and snowboarders have no compunction at slamming at you from behind when traversing the hills, especially on whiteout or stormy days when you both need a hood and people on the mountain are blind as a bat.

37621_3_800.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
As evidenced by several photos posted in this thread, when it's really snowing and blowing and freaking cold out hoods on top of helmets are awesome. I don't use mine 95% of the time but when I want it it's there for me.

Perhaps a better question is Hoods?? Why not?
Here's another reason. Yesterday I decided to traverse a band of tight trees from Door 4 to Door 3 at Crystal Mountain. Greener grass, fresher snow, etc. My stupid hood snagged a sturdy limb and then I dealt with being strangled for a fun 20 seconds.

Not the first time, and never snagged my helmet on anything.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's another reason. Yesterday I decided to traverse a band of tight trees from Door 4 to Door 3 at Crystal Mountain. Greener grass, fresher snow, etc. My stupid hood snagged a sturdy limb and then I dealt with being strangled for a fun 20 seconds.

Not the first time, and never snagged my helmet on anything.
I have honestly never see this kind of thing happen. You must be special in the hood/issue world. :roflmao:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have honestly never see this kind of thing happen. You must be special in the hood/issue world. :roflmao:
I had a buddy and we were riding mtb.. he managed to hook his shell and skin (!!!) on a pine tree broken branch. Pulled him right off his bike and left him half hanging. Man it was funny.... Maybe they're related... :ogbiggrin:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I used my Kulturally Embedded "Fashion" Kludge (hood) again today, at Crystal no less. And I somehow managed to do so entirely without strangling myself. It was great!
So……does that answer your question?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hilarious accent and emphasis on ^this is that mediaeval hoods were worn in a way that actually does away with all those drawbacks.

Soft material. Rolled down around the face, like a T-neck. And removable, with a shoulders-only fitted capelet.

But, hey, "progress".

Haha! I had already seen that video and it promoted a whole range of discussion in my house.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Haha! I had already seen that video and it promoted a whole range of discussion in my house.

I have linked to it on this forum before - and shared semi-successful results from recreated two-hole hoods, both on the bike and on XC skis.

A separate garment hood might even be a reasonably aero solution especially if layered along the sides of the neck and helmet.

I haven't seen specific research on cloth. but I have on hair - and side plaits are measurably more advantageous than single braids or loose drapes. We already knew having something there can be considerably more advantageous than having a gap between helmet and shoulders (which is why speed skiing helmets look like that) .

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online