• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoods??? Why???

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
@cantunamunch we get it, you really don't like hoods. Other people do. You can argue as much as you want, but you're not going to change the fact that other people find them useful. Frankly, a lot of your arguments sound absurd to anyone who actually uses hoods because they're either non-issues, or entirely untrue.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let's agree to disagree.

I'm not cycling in winter storms.

My hood never acts like a parachute.

My hood doesn't move with my head - so what?

My shell's collar closed fully with or without the hood up.

You gotta shake it out if it's full of snow.

James

Out There
Instructor
So what I’m hearing is a lack of creativity in hood/jacket design so that one gets the benefit of hoods, with better movement and vision. Then there’s the front opening problem where you’re forced to be behind the wall whether you want to or not.

Can’t disagree.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch we get it, you really don't like hoods. Other people do. You can argue as much as you want, but you're not going to change the fact that other people find them useful.

That's fine so long as you don't make them non optional features on a jacket or coat.

Frankly, a lot of your arguments sound absurd to anyone who actually uses hoods because they're either non-issues, or entirely untrue.

Let's rewrite that point as

"We completely cherry-picked our supporters to those for whom they actually work, and made their rah-rah louder to drown out all objections by people who abandoned them after considered selection and trial. Because cherry picking 5-star reviews works for every Amazon affiliate ever, and not doing it is absurd".

USAian marketing feature ratchet :thumb::thumb::thumb:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do you need another reason to hate hoods? Vail introduces the EPIC_HOOD.

You now have to share your favorite local hood with out-of-state tourons.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So what I’m hearing is a lack of creativity in hood/jacket design so that one gets the benefit of hoods, with better movement and vision. Then there’s the front opening problem where you’re forced to be behind the wall whether you want to or not.

The hilarious accent and emphasis on ^this is that mediaeval hoods were worn in a way that actually does away with all those drawbacks.

Soft material. Rolled down around the face, like a T-neck. And removable, with a shoulders-only fitted capelet.

But, hey, "progress".

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kludges. Inelegant bodges.

Proving popularity of something doesn't make it the right thing to do. Shitting near the door of a filthy bathroom is popular.

Then that's a problem with helmet design and shouldn't be addressed with coat design.

There is no hood on the current market that has coverage that

a) moves with your head.
b) protects your face and goggles in the direction you're facing
c) allows helmet sizing to be independent of shoulder width sizing.

Every last "hood" on this page could be miles improved by cutting it off the coat, setting in a back-pack-style sheet spreader frame at the shoulder yoke and putting in helmet provisions, along with a proper precipitation-deflecting brim.

Of course, then it would be a "helmet cover" and not a hood. Which is the point.

The longer helmet covers are bound to "hood" thinking, the longer we're all going to be wearing chainmail in a world where both the visored sallet and Japanese auxiliary armour have already been invented.

Except when they don't.
Except when they're shoulder-tugging parachutes.
Except when they simply don't fit over a racing helmet.
Except when they actually don't move with the head and slide around.
Except when the collar can't be shut enough and winds up trapping precipitation in the front neck area
Except when the bottom edge catches breath ice in -F conditions and needs 20+ minutes of back-at-car jimmying to open.
Except when a small shouldered person has a large head.
Except when they dump a load of precip down one's neck when not put on first thing out the door.

Belgian caps and tight collars work better than hoods - and every winter training cyclist proves it. Proves it with a colder helmet than here.

Instead of hoods, let's change the acronym to KEFKs. Kulturally Embedded "Fashion" Kludges.
You know, I never really know what your thoughts are. I just wish you’d express an opinion once in a while. ogsmile

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
P1040811.jpg

IMG_4970.JPG

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"You should eear a helmet, not only are they safer, they are warmer than hats/toques."

Same skier, "You will need to put your good up on a cold day."
It's not like those statements are at odds. That person also would have wanted the hood, and maybe more, with a hat/toque

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Except when they're shoulder-tugging parachutes.
Hey! Sometimes that's the only way I can slow down.

Part of my initial reluctance to wearing a helmet was the fact that I couldn't get my hood to fit over it. Thankfully hoods are mostly helmet compatible now.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dude. Canadians are thrifty. If they're going to need a warm hat, they buy one.

Buying a hat that's going to need a hood at -40F is buying the wrong hat.
Two words: Stormy Kromer